Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2024, 08:02 PM   #21
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Gladiator is about 29" tall, he's not really in an easy place for me to measure, but you'd definitely be fine at 30" of space.

This is all personal preference of course, but....

All statues should have dedicated lighting. Meaning don't just depend on you room light or corner floor lamp to do the lighting for you.

If your statues are in cabinets it's pretty easy, install downward facing lights along the inside top of each shelf. If your statues are on top of cabinets, at the very least install upward facing lighting all the along the top edge. If you know how to install/wire fancier spot lighting from the ceiling, even better.

My glass component shelves I struggle with the most. I think one could wire small upward facing spots in the front corners of each, and then do some fancy wire management along the support arm and eventually to a plug... one day, one day. For now I use battery operated remote controlled pucks.

Obviously only use LED's. I use dimmable everywhere, and have everything on remote control for on/off AND dimming. Cool white vs warm white, and puck vs strips? Depends. I use all, depending on application.
Good stuff.

I've pretty much just been focusing on getting the closet display decided, as that's built-in. Then go from there. Hadn't decided on a lot of other shelving just yet.

I'll be wiring the closet light, then linking the two other shelf lights to it. Beyond that, not really looking to do any other recessed or spotlighting (in a perfect world, I would), so will probably do some strips. Do you have any info on that angled lighting you just posted from the other thread?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:24 PM   #22
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Do you have any info on that angled lighting you just posted from the other thread?
The are just angled aluminum channels, cut to size. I use them both on tops of cabinets, facing upward, and of course, under shelves, facing downwards.

I also like to add a warm white light strip facing the ceiling on top of cabinets, even if I'm using bright cool white inside of them. I feel it adds better ambiance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201221_150414.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	169462   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201221_165821.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	169463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201222_031549-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	169467   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_110324.jpg
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	169471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_122715.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	169472  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_154205.jpg
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	169473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210318_032707-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	169474  
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:29 PM   #23
SDguy

One thing I noticed, all "white" LED's are not the same.... the cool whites that came with my Moducase make colors pop a lot nicer than my amazon random cool white LED's. In fact I even remember returning some to amazon because they cast noticeably greenish white light. If there are any LED experts on here that want to help us find out what Moducase possibly uses (or how to determine the "better" ones), I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-30-2024, 08:32 PM   #24
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Thanks!

Yeah, that does look good. I never considered mixing the cool and warm. I'd like to, but we'll see how it goes... Even if I don't end up doing it immediately, I may add it later.

Is that a standard Windex bottle? If so, looks like Gladiator is about 2 1/2 Windexes. lol
Old 03-30-2024, 08:33 PM   #25
SDguy

Yes, it is.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:40 PM   #26
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
One thing I noticed, all "white" LED's are not the same.... the cool whites that came with my Moducase make colors pop a lot nicer than my amazon random cool white LED's. In fact I even remember returning some to amazon because they cast noticeably greenish white light. If there are any LED experts on here that want to help us find out what Moducase possibly uses (or how to determine the "better" ones), I'd appreciate it!
Should just have everything to do with the color temperature (Kelvin). I think I posted some pics on it not too long ago.

I don't think the labeling of 'warm', 'cool', and 'daylight' are strictly adhered to. Some manufacturers may label their ranges differently. Would be helpful to know what Moducase Kelvin rating is though.

4000K is I think what I'm shooting for, for my 'cool' white displays.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:41 PM   #27
SDguy

Quote:
Should just have everything to do with the color temperature (Kelvin). I think I posted some pics on it not too long ago.

I don't think the labeling of 'warm', 'cool', and 'daylight' are strictly adhered to. Some manufacturers may label their ranges differently. Would be helpful to know what Moducase Kelvin rating is though.

4000K is I think what I'm shooting for, for my 'cool' white displays.
I thought that too, but unless I'm crazy (not impossible) the whites I have are the same "coolness" but colors on the status don't look the same under each...
Old 03-30-2024, 08:52 PM   #28
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I thought that too, but unless I'm crazy (not impossible) the whites I have are the same "coolness" but colors on the status don't look the same under each...
Unless the Kelvin rating is higher (higher you go, bluer you get...(not really green though)), it may just be defective LEDs. White LEDs are actually made of red, green and blue LEDs, that when combined, produce white. Could be a fault with one of the individual diodes.

Could also be a faulty power supply.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:05 PM   #29
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
White LEDs are actually made of red, green and blue LEDs, that when combined, produce white.
Unless you go with RGBW which has a dedicated white component
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:18 PM   #30
SDguy

Quote:
Unless the Kelvin rating is higher (higher you go, bluer you get...(not really green though)), it may just be defective LEDs. White LEDs are actually made of red, green and blue LEDs, that when combined, produce white. Could be a fault with one of the individual diodes.

Could also be a faulty power supply.
No, they are all the same, nothing faulty. Probably just my eyes playing tricks on me.