Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Upitnik
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Talking Ramblings of a madman...

Hey what kind of camera are you using? Wow, no wonder your pictures look great, I think noise at ISO 6,400 could be better though and built in underwater capabilities could be added in the next one. Oh man, did you see the new Zeiss f/0.95 noctilux. Is Canon 1ds mark III better than the Nikon D3X?

Lately in my surroundings I've been hearing more and more crap regarding cameras and lenses and it seems people are more concerned about technical properties than taking photos. I always tell full beginners to buy an used entry level camera with the kit zoom lens, I'll explain. I am all for advancement in technology and avidly read the latest news and if you can afford it go ahead but do you need it? I get a lot of inquires about which camera and which lens are "THE" solution for indoor photography, outdoor etc. There is no solution damn it. I like to tell a little story to those kinds of people. One day I was chilling in the house when a bit of hunger hit me. So I got up opened the fridge and looked at its contents for a minute or two wondering what to eat and standing there undecided the wife looks at me and says "If you don't know what to eat you are not that hungry". Got me thinking....maybe she's right, so I closed the door came back an hour later, now quite hungry, opened the fridge and knew exactly what and why.

In my opinion the same applies to photography and basically if you don't know which kind of lens and camera combo you want you don't need it. Now if you're a complete beginner get an used entry level dSLR with the kit zoom and maybe the cheapo 50mm f/1.8, it will allow you to grow and explore the basics so you later know what you need if it comes to that and reselling the used stuff will fetch for about the same for sure. I've seen people buy the latest and best just to get overwhelmed and stressed out because they don't know how to use it and pictures with their P&S look better. I also get a lot of frustrated people claiming dSLRs are too complicated and you have to push a lot of buttons to get things set up and what not. I won’t get into that here but it is not like that and it's more than simply reading the manual. That’s why I suggest starting small and push on from there. I hope anybody reading this will find it informative and you can take it with a grain of salt as we are all different and this is just my opinion.

Anyway on to my photographs from recent weeks. I haven't felt inspired lately but I guess as with all things there are ups and downs and I like to share so enjoy. The weather was shifting crazy so I'll be starting with some strong graphics, continue with some soothing landscapes and finish soft with animals and family.

Upitnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Upitnik

Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Upitnik

Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Upitnik

Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Upitnik

Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
cblakey1
Cyclops

Man, you love that grayscale!

Awesome pics!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Upitnik

TNX but trust me, I love colors and will post them eventually but the current mood is grayscale, can't be helped
Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
hazmatt
Death is hereditary.

nice pics. from you, i've come to expect nothing less
hazmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Upitnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatt View Post
nice pics. from you, i've come to expect nothing less
TNX, lately I've been getting some well paying gigs (photo wise) besides my day job but dealing with people is not my thing, sometimes its...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
hazmatt
Death is hereditary.

i'm hoping in the near future i can get some paying gigs. starting off is tough when you don't have experience piecing together packages, setting price points, working with customers, etc. but you gotta start somewhere.

i really dig that pic of the chick on the stairs. stunning composition and nice work in post. was that shot with a 50mm or your new 24mm? (i didn't check the exif) natural light?
hazmatt is offline   Reply With Quote