Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-11-2024, 09:36 PM   #941
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

I love this Psylocke!!!!

I let go of my earlier blue costumed version with the pink base and chose this version to represent Psylocke in my collection.

LOVE the portrait on this version!!!
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:20 AM   #942
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
I love this Psylocke!!!!

I let go of my earlier blue costumed version with the pink base and chose this version to represent Psylocke in my collection.

LOVE the portrait on this version!!!
I like the sculpt but I've quickly found out just how horribly painted it is. All of the shading you see isn't built over multiple layers of paint. It's literally a glaze which is terrible for life expectancy.

I was repainting the front leg/flesh panel because it was too dark... Finished that, then when I was gently polishing the back part of the leg the glaze came right off (dry microfiber btw...) So it looks like I'm redoing that one too. What a sh-tty f---ing paint job on this Sideshow.

That aside, the sculpt is great. But people should never buy heavily shaded statues like this from them anymore. It will never survive outside of an enclosed space.
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:21 AM   #943
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I like the display unit.
Thanks!

Forgive my rantings lol. I apologize. It's been a rough weekend of repaints after everything was nearly perfect.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:13 AM   #944
jasonsz1034
Fantastic Four

I think Harbottle really nailed it with this Psylocke. As others have said, this is probably one of my fave portraits in a long time. They nailed that warrior assassin look. The shading on her skin is definitely on the darker side. For me, she works best displayed in the background behind another statue. When you put her in the foreground then the skin shading is even more pronounced.

If you can live with the display limitations there, then you should be happy with this piece.

jasonsz1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:24 AM   #945
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsz1034 View Post
I think Harbottle really nailed it with this Psylocke. As others have said, this is probably one of my fave portraits in a long time. They nailed that warrior assassin look. The shading on her skin is definitely on the darker side. For me, she works best displayed in the background behind another statue. When you put her in the foreground then the skin shading is even more pronounced.

If you can live with the display limitations there, then you should be happy with this piece.
I defended this piece at first too, but seriously. There is no excuse for the terrible pain application on this. It's a nearly 700 USD statue and it's painted worse than one of those kotobukiya statues. That's not acceptable.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:25 AM   #946
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
I defended this piece at first too, but seriously. There is no excuse for the terrible pain application on this. It's a nearly 700 USD statue and it's painted worse than one of those kotobukiya statues. That's not acceptable.
Koto does environment themed paint?
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #947
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsz1034 View Post

Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #948
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Koto does environment themed paint?
Not sure if they do, not sure if they even have to. I'm referring to the paint application and paint quality itself. It's terrible.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:40 AM   #949
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
Not sure if they do, not sure if they even have to. I'm referring to the paint application and paint quality itself. It's terrible.
Oh is it? I haven't been paying close enough attention... I thought the dark sooty skin was the only issue.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:45 AM   #950
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Oh is it? I haven't been paying close enough attention... I thought the dark sooty skin was the only issue.
It's bad on mine... They used a glaze for the skin shading and shadows. It practically wipes right off. Be careful. I never paid much attention as she had been in a box for months and went right into my moducases after I got them. Even having her wrapped in plastic, etc, light handling and wiping has the shading coming right off. It's terrible.

Edit: the perfect example as to why forced shading should never be added on skin tones or other areas of a statue. Give it a proper finish so that it's protected and can last...