Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Luminous
Cyclops

I can understand both arguments. What does it matter what other people do with a copy of your art? You will always have the original, something that cannot be duplicated. Then again, why not just protect your stuff by adding a water mark. Doesn't hurt anyone and it definitely doesn't detract from the art itself. Most people understand why its there.

I just don't agree that it is "amateurish" to decide to use water marks. I don't see how deciding to use them is any reflection on the kind of artist that person is. He's made a choice, one that was based on the kind of time we live in. It would be extremely silly to look at that person in a negative way for something so trivial.

Anyway, thats some really nice work there. You can see a lot of effort went into this piece. Nicely done.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Igo
Producer
Producer

I think people are taking "amateur" as an abrasive attack like Im calling you retarded or something.

Amateur:

"a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for professional reasons."

Again, just my experience, but none of the professionals I know, or work with, use them. People in the online community do, but MOST of them are also amateur/unprofessional aka non-full-time/freelance artists.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
This is really awesome work man... but then you go and ruin it with a water-mark. Gota be honest, water-marks come off very amateur'ish. You have your signature on there, you have it time stamped with this post, there's NO need to go putting something like that on there.
I think you need to re-read your first post. The way you define amateur makes it sound like it was no big deal to use the term. While I agree the definition doesn't have to be taken in a negative way, I think you definitely used it in such a way. Maybe not intentionally, but it is definitely there.

Quote:
I think people are taking "amateur" as an abrasive attack like Im calling you retarded or something.

Amateur:

"a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for professional reasons."

Again, just my experience, but none of the professionals I know, or work with, use them. People in the online community do, but MOST of them are also amateur/unprofessional aka non-full-time/freelance artists.
In any case, lets say I'm wrong, and I'm reading way too much into what you first said. I still don't think you have a very convincing argument because professionals don't need to water mark there work. They are already in. Their work is widely recognized and counterfeits/copies would be instantly noticed. Not to mention the fact that most of them are probably protected through other legal means. Amateurs, such as myself and Chris here, have no legal protection and our work doesn't have that sort of recognition.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Igo
Producer
Producer

Plenty of artists "not in" dont use watermarks... TRUST me. When I wasnt in, I NEVER used them. To be honest, I didnt want to come across like I thought too highly of my own work, because that's how I perceived it.

What do you have to protect yourself from? Bootlegging happens regardless across the world. It happens, it's no reason to get scared and put watermarks on your work.

And honestly, your image files shouldnt be so big that people could re-use it for shirts and whatnot anyways. The quality will seriously be complete crap, and again, I'll bet they arnt getting rich off of your work anyways.

And to take this conversation deeper down the rabbit hole, why do you guys have the right to be using other peoples IP for profit/commission? Honestly, it's just as lame to be using a character, like Vampriella, for making a profit when the creator/licensor of that character doesnt get a cut off of your commission when you sell the piece.

That never seemed right to me, to be so uptight about someone "stealing" YOUR work, when the idea isnt originally yours in the first place. It comes across as double-standardish.

Water-marking an original IP I can get behind, because that's someone stealing your original IP, but even still I think it ruins your work when your work should be time-stamped to begin with.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
ChrisMcJunkin
Frackin!

You said earlier that you weren't arguing for the sake of arguing. It really seems more and more as though that is what you're doing.

You said what you wanted to say, expressed your opinions on the matter. I actually typed up three different responses to your previous reply to me but decided it ultimately was not worth it. Because while you may think that a watermark is a seal of amateurism, I really find that arguing with someone on a message board that seems only intent in having the last word to be even more unprofessional and a complete waste of time.

You're entitled to your opinion, just stop acting as though the rest of us have to agree with you, man.
ChrisMcJunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Igo
Producer
Producer

Im really REALLY sorry you think Im just baiting for an argument and trying to get in the last word. Im really REALLY just trying to point out every reason why you shouldnt do something, really trying to help you out of that shadow of "amateur" that I think plagues so many people. Seriously, I do this with every person that uses a water-mark, real life, art forums, cons, wherever, and whenever I can.

To me it isnt really something subjective, it's totally objective, and that's why Im arguing the point so bad because I want to help.

Again you have solid work man, I cant say that enough, and Im just trying to make you realize you dont need to cover it up with something that to me is totally unnecessary.

Keep up the good work otherwise man, I hope to see more of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Plenty of artists "not in" dont use watermarks... TRUST me. When I wasnt in, I NEVER used them. To be honest, I didnt want to come across like I thought too highly of my own work, because that's how I perceived it.

What do you have to protect yourself from? Bootlegging happens regardless across the world. It happens, it's no reason to get scared and put watermarks on your work.

And honestly, your image files shouldnt be so big that people could re-use it for shirts and whatnot anyways. The quality will seriously be complete crap, and again, I'll bet they arnt getting rich off of your work anyways.

And to take this conversation deeper down the rabbit hole, why do you guys have the right to be using other peoples IP for profit/commission? Honestly, it's just as lame to be using a character, like Vampriella, for making a profit when the creator/licensor of that character doesnt get a cut off of your commission when you sell the piece.

That never seemed right to me, to be so uptight about someone "stealing" YOUR work, when the idea isnt originally yours in the first place. It comes across as double-standardish.

Water-marking an original IP I can get behind, because that's someone stealing your original IP, but even still I think it ruins your work when your work should be time-stamped to begin with.
Agree to disagree?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #18
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Watermarks

I say keep with the watermarks! It's not amateurish at all and it doesn't detract from enjoying your art...what it does do is make it difficult to steal.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote