Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #391
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
From Facebook
Now show us the Iron Man, XM/Legendary Beast!
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #392
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merovingian View Post
Reading your post it sounds like your pieces arrived undamaged from the shipping journey; that's good to hear! I know you were concerned from the shipping label being attached to the side of the box, which caused the box to be shipped sideways. Good luck with your assembly and looking forward to pics in the near future.
Thanks M!

Yeah, from what I can see, no issues with damage.
I was very happy to see most of the delicate pieces on the base are keyed in during set-up. I think that was the wise way to go.

I have a few other things to mention, but I'll wait tll tomorrow when it's fully set up.

In the meantime, here's a close up.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #393
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
Now show us the Iron Man, XM/Legendary Beast!
And the Hulk that is also apparently coming!
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #394
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
And the Hulk that is also apparently coming!
That one scares me. I’ve successfully resisted Cap and Thor, but a 1/3 scale classic hulk might be impossible to pass up.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #395
pdenham
Teen Titans

Merovingian- How difficult was your cape to seat?

I don't know if baking in the attic a week might have slightly threw those pegs out of alignment, but for as heavy as that cape is, it's not sliding down like you'd expect when the pegs and holes are lined up.

Do the pegs need to be angled slightly- and if so, in which direction?

I really don't want to wiggle those around on the way down, for fear of shattering the channel- which is exactly what happened to Hawkman.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #396
The Merovingian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Merovingian- How difficult was your cape to seat?

I don't know if baking in the attic a week might have slightly threw those pegs out of alignment, but for as heavy as that cape is, it's not sliding down like you'd expect when the pegs and holes are lined up.

Do the pegs need to be angled slightly- and if so, in which direction?

I really don't want to wiggle those around on the way down, for fear of shattering the channel- which is exactly what happened to Hawkman.
It's very tricky - (took me 2 tries) You have to carefully align the cape with the 2 pegs sitting directly above the 2 holes on the shoulder. Once you have the 2 pegs hovering over the 2 holes, carefully work 1 peg at a time (this is very tricky because the angles are slightly different for both pegs). Important: You have to account for both pegs going in at slightly different angles. On a side-note, this situation is the same as the XM Studios Scorpion statue when you're placing Scorpion's feet into the 2 holes at different angles (XM has a video on Youtube for the Scorpion insertion scenario, which is the same as Thor's)........back to Thor; Once you have both pegs in the hole, gingerly work the cape back in forth until it slides down. That should work.

Also, the heat in your attic may be playing a role as well. It may be wise to let the statue sit in a moderate temperature room until the polystone settles. Hope that helps and please let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.
The Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #397
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks so much, man!

The location I have for it puts the shoulders slightly above eye level, so I can't look down into them to see what's going on..
I poked around a little with a tooth pick and it seems like the larger post (figures right shoulder) angles towards the front as it goes down.

The peg hole for the left side's smaller post seems to have the wiggle room front and back- but I didn't know if that was actually the way it was cast, or if I'd been chipping away at the wall and expanding it each time I was trying to seat it.

If this were an Iron Studios statue, I have no doubt I would have chipped out a crater in those peg holes by this point.

Given the total weight of this, I'm going to seriously consider making a fabric cape for it. I never really minded the billow of the sculpt- but it would be great to have the ability to change it's composition on the fly, as well as keep the weight down.

I've also got a bunch of 18" x 24" styrene sheets that I might be able to use in some way.

In the meantime, I'll check out that Scorpion video.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #398
The Merovingian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Thanks so much, man!

The location I have for it puts the shoulders slightly above eye level, so I can't look down into them to see what's going on..
I poked around a little with a tooth pick and it seems like the larger post (figures right shoulder) angles towards the front as it goes down.

The peg hole for the left side's smaller post seems to have the wiggle room front and back- but I didn't know if that was actually the way it was cast, or if I'd been chipping away at the wall and expanding it each time I was trying to seat it.

If this were an Iron Studios statue, I have no doubt I would have chipped out a crater in those peg holes by this point.

Given the total weight of this, I'm going to seriously consider making a fabric cape for it. I never really minded the billow of the sculpt- but it would be great to have the ability to change it's composition on the fly, as well as keep the weight down.

I've also got a bunch of 18" x 24" styrene sheets that I might be able to use in some way.

In the meantime, I'll check out that Scorpion video.

Thanks again!
Here is the link for the XM Studios Scorpion statue, which shares the same scenario regarding assembling Thor's cape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lxLPqeBCeE

This should give you a good idea on how to angle the cape as you work the 2 pegs downward at slightly different angles. Good luck.
The Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #399
pdenham
Teen Titans

Yeah, that does help wrap my mind around what's gong on.

If I heard right, the lock they used on that Scorpion was machined metal as well- so it's not a metal peg going into more fragile resin (as was the case with Hawkman, for example).

Can't tell if that's the case with Thor, here, but it at least feels substantial.

Since I was going to be boxing it back up again in a few weeks, I'll probably just forego the cape for now, and save it for the fall, when it will be staying set up for a good long while.

I've been able to check it all for damage and any dodgy paint apps. That's always the big thing.
Everything looks A-OK on those fronts, so I'm satisfied for now.

Thanks for the link, and the words of support- they've been much appreciated
Old 08-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #400
pdenham
Teen Titans

A couple pics, sans cape for the moment.
a lens distorted full figure; a couple close ups - one with flash, one without; Fenris skulking around; latex gloves after trying to seat the cape. I was only holding onto it for about five minutes, so to see that much paint rub off already is slightly disconcerting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor cu flash.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	142018   Click image for larger version

Name:	thor cu no flash.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	142019   Click image for larger version

Name:	fenris.jpg
Views:	46