Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 07-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #231
pdenham
Teen Titans

The way I read it, she's standing on the shoulders of Ares because she's about to fight in his name, and to further his cause.

At least that's the most logical reading of the body attitude(s) and composition.
Because, as Clarian said, there is nothing there to imply vanquishment in the Ares figure. Instead he is presented as upright (compositionally implying strength).
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #232
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I don't want an entire separate base. More like a "here is Ares - insert him if you want to" for all buyers.

But then what is the fire about? Would have much rather had a full rock base with waves crashing like she is about to defend the island from invasion.

I don't think the base will detract from her at all. I am just pondering the height.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #233
Clarian
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
The way I read it, she's standing on the shoulders of Ares because she's about to fight in his name, and to further his cause.

At least that's the most logical reading of the body attitude(s) and composition.
That's a very good point...since she's literally supported by him but not treading on him (no visual antagonism between them), it does make them look allied.

(Given the peripheral crumbling and flames, the story moment seems like: He's an icon of her cause, under attack but not defeated, that she's springing up to defend. ...But not a fallen foe.)
Clarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #234
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I think they said on the livestream that she was on her way down into hades to fight ares. It's just a statue that represents ares, like many bases it doesn't have to make perfect sense as it's a representation of something related to the character
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #235
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
I think they said on the livestream that she was on her way down into hades to fight ares. It's just a statue that represents ares, like many bases it doesn't have to make perfect sense as it's a representation of something related to the character
If people don't fully understand what's going on with the base though, that's a big design flaw. Hopefully it makes more sense in the paint, and doesn't distract from her wonderful sculpt.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #236
neo225
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Would have much rather had a full rock base with waves crashing like she is about to defend the island from invasion.
That's a great idea and something I don't recall ever seeing in a WW statue before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
If people don't fully understand what's going on with the base though, that's a big design flaw. Hopefully it makes more sense in the paint, and doesn't distract from her wonderful sculpt.
neo225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #237
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo225 View Post
That's a great idea and something I don't recall ever seeing in a WW statue before.
Yeah, that would be a smart and unique way to go.

Too many of these things default to stone ruins (easier to sculpt, or look proper sculpted I guess).

Almost no one plays up the Paradise Island aspect for this character.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:19 AM   #238
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
I think it's up for interpretation, I'm looking forward to seeing the painted piece defo but it won't make any more sense in that regard, it'll just be grey rocks and base with flames IMO
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #239
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I personally would never want a base made out of clear resin in the shape of a jet. That would look really tacky IMO.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #240
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I personally would never want a base made out of clear resin in the shape of a jet. That would look really tacky IMO.
Yup. That's souvenir kiosk type stuff right there. No thanks.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote