Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-31-2021, 09:37 PM   #27881
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Rurouni Kenshin - Part 1: Origins - 7.5/10

This was an interesting watch. I'm uncertain whether I did myself a disservice by first viewing the 2021-filmed prequel before Part 1: Origins that was filmed/released in 2012. To that point, I did not consistently feel the visceral thrill of the fight sequences in Part 1 that I did with "The Beginning." The plot was okay, but I was not impressed by the main bad guy. A little too comedic for my action film tastes. Although his henchmen are menacing.

The main character, our hero - Kenshin, continues to have a strong presence despite the sleight body, boyband look. The sword sequences are very well choreographed. You even get a "sidekick" of Kenshin's whose choice of weapon is a Berserk Dragon Slayer/Cloud Buster-type sword. It makes little sense in battle, but it does look cool.

Now onto, Rurouni Kenshin - Part 2: Kyoto Inferno.
I didn't want to say anything...but yeah, "The Beginning" is the best one. I was never a follower of the anime/manga, so a lot of the rest of the story conceits in the sequels don't really work for me (his sakabato chief among them). But that's part of what defines Rurouni Kenshin. "The Beginning", not as much so.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #27882
Wizard
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I didn't want to say anything...but yeah, "The Beginning" is the best one. I was never a follower of the anime/manga, so a lot of the rest of the story conceits in the sequels don't really work for me (his sakabato chief among them). But that's part of what defines Rurouni Kenshin. "The Beginning", not as much so.
No worries. I’m in for the ride now. Although, not sure if this weekend’s film schedule will bring me the Japanese swords or the Chinese rings.
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:17 PM   #27883
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
No worries. I’m in for the ride now. Although, not sure if this weekend’s film schedule will bring me the Japanese swords or the Chinese rings.
haha... all good. Can't go wrong. The remaining Kenshin are entertaining. The choreography remains consistent, as some of the best the genre has ever seen.

Shang Chi looks good. I know nothing of the character.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:05 AM   #27884
Python
Omega Red

Alita: Battle Angel. 5/10

Pretty disappointed by this one, I'd heard a lot of positive opinions so I went in expecting a fun couple of hours. What I found was a predictable, average futuristic action movie, full of very average CGI and with little pay off by the end. Oh well...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:05 AM   #27885
Python
Omega Red

Double post..
Old 09-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #27886
Wizard
Justice League

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin - Part 1: Origins - 7.5/10

This was an interesting watch. I'm uncertain whether I did myself a disservice by first viewing the 2021-filmed prequel before Part 1: Origins that was filmed/released in 2012. To that point, I did not consistently feel the visceral thrill of the fight sequences in Part 1 that I did with "The Beginning." The plot was okay, but I was not impressed by the main bad guy. A little too comedic for my action film tastes. Although his henchmen are menacing.

The main character, our hero - Kenshin, continues to have a strong presence despite the sleight body, boyband look. The sword sequences are very well choreographed. You even get a "sidekick" of Kenshin's whose choice of weapon is a Berserk Dragon Slayer/Cloud Buster-type sword. It makes little sense in battle, but it does look cool.

Now onto, Rurouni Kenshin - Part 2: Kyoto Inferno.
Rurouni Kenshin - Part 2: Kyoto Inferno - 7/10

Three plot elements exist in Parts 1 and 2 that for each, I must deduct a rating point. Without giving away too much in SPOILERS, those elements are annoying characters the protagonist surrounds himself with, the hesitant hero, and the reversible blade.

The fighting sequences in Part 2 continue to be a great showcase. I do love the sword fighting style and skill of the main character. However, you lessen that appreciation when you show other, lesser skilled characters beating up the same group of "bad guys."

One thing these films consistently do, is present great henchmen of the main villain. And the inevitable fights are mostly great, but the resolutions tend to be less than satisfying.

Part 2 does end on a cliffhanger, so onto Part 3: The Legend Ends.
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #27887
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Alita: Battle Angel. 5/10

Pretty disappointed by this one
Wow, this is one of my top favorite movies

Hancock with Will Smith 8/10
His flight inserts are not so well implemented but funny
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #27888
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Shang Chi 9/10
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:36 AM   #27889
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Wow, this is one of my top favorite movies

Hancock with Will Smith 8/10
His flight inserts are not so well implemented but funny

Different strokes and all that, I got very little from Alita. I'm sure I like plenty of movies that'd bore you (I mean I like Alien 3 & The Phantom Menace) Hancock I liked also, haven't seen it in a long time however..
Old 09-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #27890
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Different strokes and all that, I got very little from Alita. I'm sure I like plenty of movies that'd bore you (I mean I like Alien 3 & The Phantom Menace) Hancock I liked also, haven't seen it in a long time however..
The Phantom Menace (you mean Star Wars I ?) is a little boring. But i like Alien 3 very much.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote