Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #11
JanuaryStorm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I've canceled many sales of camera equipment on eBay because someone thought I'd be gullible enough to send stuff to MiddleOfNowhere, Texas, or to an international courier service.

Of course, it isn't just ebay that's messed up. Some scammer bought a statue from me, waited a month, then filed a refund through their credit card as a case of "I did not authorize this purchase," and then promptly deleted their ebay account.

Naturally, paypal (since eBay was still using paypal at the time) went ahead and issued the refund (~$300). I fought it through their resolution center, but they told me I'd be ineligible for a refund since ebay autocorrected a mistake in their shipping address. Part of proving that I shipped the statue is that the address on my shipping label has to match the address of the receiver's paypal account, which it technically didn't.

Thankfully, after enough kicking and screaming, I was able to get my money. eBay wasn't even involved past the point of sale. It was all with the credit card companies and paypal.

Problem is, paypal still technically hasn't closed the ticket yet, so I may still end up losing my money AGAIN.
JanuaryStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

People like to blame buyers a lot, but I’ve been scammed MUCH more from sellers than buyers.

I can count on my hand times I’ve been scammed by buyers…. Don’t even have enough appendages to count when sellers scammed me (unsuccessfully).

This is out of 1000+ transactions
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

I don't get scammed. I let buyers know ahead of time that I will show up to their home to make sure they are satisfied with their purchase.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #14
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
I don't get scammed. I let buyers know ahead of time that I will show up to their home to make sure they are satisfied with their purchase.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I have 4 XM pieces I want to sell off and I don't use social media, so eBay seems to be my only option. However, seeing these comments have me worried about trying to sell on eBay.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #16
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish3183 View Post
I have 4 XM pieces I want to sell off and I don't use social media, so eBay seems to be my only option. However, seeing these comments have me worried about trying to sell on eBay.
You might have to join a social media site to sell. I have never been on FaceBook but I am considering joining because I also have a few statues to sell (and I'd rather not sell on eBay).
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:56 AM   #17
azurepred
Zot

I'm one who often sells to make room for newer collectibles. I guess I have been lucky so far. As a buyer and seller, haven't been scammed in over 12 years (knock on wood). It's probably just plain luck and % say will probably happen at some point. Ebay and paypal did screw me out of $400 once because I accidentally hit the pay now button twice. I was new to collecting and should have fought it harder.

As a seller who does still go through ebay now and then (because facebook group members can be cheap as hell), I always make sure I take photos of the statue right before packaging and also try to videotape the packing process. For the record, I still hate ebay immensely, but that is the only place I have success selling on when facebook people won't buy the item. Gotta do what you gotta do.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 AM   #18
goatchumby
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
As a seller who does still go through ebay now and then (because facebook group members can be cheap as hell), I always make sure I take photos of the statue right before packaging and also try to videotape the packing process.
This right here. Always document items that you're selling down the the individual components. Get those edition numbers on video and a complete view of the contents.

However, this advice would be more valuable if eBay did not automatically side with the buyer on every single sale regardless of fault or intent.
goatchumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #19
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I sold off about a dozen statues last year with no problems.

Will be selling a few more soon.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #20
sluysken
Fantastic Four

it is true in my experience with eBay they always side with buyer
sluysken is offline   Reply With Quote