Statue Forum 





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

» Spotlight
DGK Sideshow Domino PF DGK XM Moon Knight Statue DGK P1 Gurren Lagann Full Drill Statue Clay Moore - Inside Stories
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #131
JanuaryStorm
Frackin!
 
JanuaryStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 21
Hoping the QS piece doesn't make me regret passing on this. $2k+ price tag just wasn't worth it for me. :/
JanuaryStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #132
NYC Joker
Fantastic Four
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryStorm View Post
Hoping the QS piece doesn't make me regret passing on this. $2k+ price tag just wasn't worth it for me. :/
QS is usually more hit than miss, but thereís no way their Catwoman is going to use more expensive materials. Thatís typically reserved for their 1/2 scale or busts. Iím sure it will be a very good piece, but since TDK trilogy is my favorite trilogy ever, Iím always willing to spend the extra amount for something special.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #133
Silas Loki
Statue Forum MacDaddy
 
Silas Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryStorm View Post
Hoping the QS piece doesn't make me regret passing on this. $2k+ price tag just wasn't worth it for me. :/
Looking at what QS are charging for their 1/4 "Comic WW", I think you're gonna hit that price wall again....something fiercely!

There's no getting around it, these companies have seen the blood in the water.

Put it this way, every other company has just seen this statue from JND sell out in under 2 hours.....so, they know what the market can & will bear. Now there's no turning back.
Silas Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #134
NYC Joker
Fantastic Four
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Looking at what QS are charging for their 1/4 "Comic WW", I think you're gonna hit that price wall again....something fiercely!

There's no getting around it, these companies have seen the blood in the water.

Put it this way, every other company has just seen this statue from JND sell out in under 2 hours.....so, they know what the market can & will bear. Now there's no turning back.
But are those companies ready and capable to use silicone, glass eyes, rooted hair, and other in house departments to get people to justify paying such a cost? JND has that infrastructure in place already, hence why they charge what they do and why people are gobbling it up.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #135
Silas Loki
Statue Forum MacDaddy
 
Silas Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Joker View Post
But are those companies ready and capable to use silicone, glass eyes, rooted hair, and other in house departments to get people to justify paying such a cost? JND has that infrastructure in place already, hence why they charge what they do and why people are gobbling it up.
Well, that's a different discussion. From an art and quality perspective, the use of rooted hair, glass eyes and silicone doesn't automatically mean a better product.....a skilled artist can make a wooden carving "ultra realistic".....given the right time and, of course, financial incentive.

My point was about the general price of statues (regardless of what they're made of) - they just seem to keep shooting up.

I think, if our friend, is hoping that an equally well presented statue from Queen Studio will justify him dodging the (in his words) unjustifiable high costs of the JND - well, he may as well stop collecting statues (at least high end statues) right now.

If QS feel they have made a 1/3 scale statue to a high end quality (and of course they will feel this way) they're gonna charge a lot for it.......Comic WW already proves this point.

Summary, speculating on a cheaper, yet somehow equivalent, product from QS is a big mistake.
Silas Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #136
NYC Joker
Fantastic Four
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Well, that's a different discussion. From an art and quality perspective, the use of rooted hair, glass eyes and silicone doesn't automatically mean a better product.....a skilled artist can make a wooden carving "ultra realistic".....given the right time and, of course, financial incentive.

My point was about the general price of statues (regardless of what they're made of) - they just seem to keep shooting up.

I think, if our friend, is hoping that an equally well presented statue from Queen Studio will justify him dodging the (in his words) unjustifiable high costs of the JND - well, he may as well stop collecting statues (at least high end statues) right now.

If QS feel they have made a 1/3 scale statue to a high end quality (and of course they will feel this way) they're gonna charge a lot for it.......Comic WW already proves this point.

Summary, speculating on a cheaper, yet somehow equivalent, product from QS is a big mistake.
Fair points, though Iíd argue the higher end the materials you use, the easier it is to achieve better likeness. But still, your point stands. And yes, I do think JND is changing the game financially and expectation wise, for better or worse.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #137
Iko Iko
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 3,033
I think JND is doing a good job on the low edition sizes as well which are making these high end collectibles actually worthy of the name "collectible". It is not like they are making 7500 of these (hello SSC Mandalorian PF).
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #138
Cmac
A day without sunshine is like... night.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Joker View Post
Fair points, though Iíd argue the higher end the materials you use, the easier it is to achieve better likeness. But still, your point stands. And yes, I do think JND is changing the game financially and expectation wise, for better or worse.
I agree with what both of you have been saying. While I believe a good portion of the price of the JND pieces is due to them making the heads and other critical parts in house, there is no doubt other companies see these prices and want a piece of that pie.

I know prices have been going up across the board, but from what I'm seeing, the worst (and undeserved) are quarter scale statues. Within two days, two quarter scale statues have released at the $1k price point (QS WW and With Fans! Motoko Kusanagi). I know the anime piece is technically a different thing from comic statues, but from a production point, it's the same. Also, a lot of 1/6 scale dioramas are now releasing near or at the $1k mark. It's crazy.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #139
Jiggatron69
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 875
Grrrr, pretty frustrated that I missed this as I love Hathaway as Selina Kyle. Wanted to create a display cabinet where its nothing but 1/3 and 1/4 scale Catwomen.....
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #140
Cmac
A day without sunshine is like... night.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggatron69 View Post
Grrrr, pretty frustrated that I missed this as I love Hathaway as Selina Kyle. Wanted to create a display cabinet where its nothing but 1/3 and 1/4 scale Catwomen.....
It hasn't posted on retail sites yet. BBTS has yet to post it and looking at Specfiction, it looks like he will be posting it soon as the listing has just been filled out with a price but no ability to order yet.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com