Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Cleaning statues with Air duster Need advice

Hi,

I am quite new to the collectibles game. I have quite a few big statues now I want to keep dust free. And I've been using a combination of air duster from a can and makeup brushes.

I own a gaming Pc and I've just ordered this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now a thought came to me could I use this to keep dust off my statues?. Would it be safe?.
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
Frankierock
Omega Red

Honestly that would probably be better than canned air..there are chemicals in the can, they may affect the paint later on down the road. Best bet is the makeup brush and an air compressor like the one you showed.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
Honestly that would probably be better than canned air..there are chemicals in the can they may affect the paint later on down the road. Best bet is the makeup brush and an air compressor like the one you showed.
Oh, that's perfect good to know and saves me buying any more cans in the future.

Thanks for the help.
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
ivory7777
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

also if you want to keep dust to minimum, get a good air purifier. what you got is good and like the previous poster said, i would stay away from can spray. they might damage the paint.
ivory7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
TheBishop
Justice League

I think swiffer type products are good because they attract the dust so it can be removed instead of being blown around the room where it will eventually settle right back down again…and air quality is crucial so a high quality air purifier will help cut down dust in the air.
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Nice filter in your furnace/ac to grab dust. Also I have found since putting mine in a wood floor room as opposed to carpet helped more than anything.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Asgard
Deadman

I use this brush. This brush does not hold the dust. It's super soft and I use it to remove dust from fragile parts

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

If you are on Facebook, the Batman Statue Collector had a good video on a new air duster. Battery powered and rechargeable. A decent air duster.

I would never use canned air. No telling what the chemicals in those cans could do to the paint on a statue long term.

I use a combination of make-up brush and vacuum. As I brush I hold the nozzle of a vacuum hose close to suck up the dust. Otherwise you are just spreading the dust around with the brush.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #9
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If you are on Facebook, the Batman Statue Collector had a good video on a new air duster. Battery powered and rechargeable. A decent air duster.

I would never use canned air. No telling what the chemicals in those cans could do to the paint on a statue long term.

I use a combination of make-up brush and vacuum. As I brush I hold the nozzle of a vacuum hose close to suck up the dust. Otherwise you are just spreading the dust around with the brush.
I saw that too!!! I ordered one, should come in today.

You can also search the Batman collector on YouTube. It should be one of his more recent videos.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

why you gotta be so fancy, just use a good semi stiff brush man, much easier to control and safer.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote