Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
DevGuy
The Spirit

1/6 TMNT Leonardo from Sideshow not attaching to base

I bought all four TMNT 1/6 Sideshow statues about two years ago from EB Games (Leo) and PopCultcha (the rest). Both are reputable resellers here in Australia, who I believe source Sideshow products from Ikon Collectibles, the official distributor. All were perfect apart from Leo who wouldn't sit flush on his base. I applied a *lot* of pressure but it felt like he'd break, so I backed off.

At the time I contacted sideshow for advice on how to fix it myself. They were polite but offered no help, telling me to deal with the seller. I clarified that I didn't want a refund nor exchange from Sideshow, just some DIY tips. I also told them I had already returned Leo twice, and that this was my 3rd Leo with the same problem - i.e. the seller is just going to offer a refund, but I want the statue. Still no help from SideShow, so in the end I moved on, and kept him as is.

But here we are a couple years later having bought my first Tweeterhead (Superman 2.0 preorder) statue and I'd like to get Leo fixed. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has this statue, if so did you have this problem, and may you offer some advice on how to fix him?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	142680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	142681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	142682  
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

First off, I take no responsibility if you attempt anything listed below. These are simply suggestions, which you can use at your own risk.

The most common trick is to use the hot setting on a hair drier method, where you heat up the areas in question that doesn't fit, and then very carefully apply a little pressure.

Heat can make a statue contract and compress, so sometimes heating it up will soften the material enough that you can slide it in. Once it cools you should be able to take it out and not worry about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you worked a lot with stone, I wouldn't attempt this myself.

However, you could use a small Hand Grinder with diamond cutting edge to shave down the peg so it will fit in the slot properly.

If you do attempt it, go extremely slow and be sure to soak the peg for several hours to soften the area before you begin.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
Y3E
Gen 13

I had a similar issue with my P1 Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. The key hole in the base was not big enough for the key on the foot. I dremeled the key hole, only a couple mm, and it worked, the foot was flush with the base. You should only do this if your comfortable using a tool on your statues.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
KiDD
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I had a similar issue with my P1 Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. The key hole in the base was not big enough for the key on the foot. I dremeled the key hole, only a couple mm, and it worked, the foot was flush with the base. You should only do this if your comfortable using a tool on your statues.
I second this. I would rather file/dremle the base rather than heat up the actual figure and risk bending and breaking it. Just work the key hole a little bit at a time until the peg fits nice and tight. If it fits too loose, it's easy to fix with a piece of paper f.e.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
pamphyboy
Shadowhawk

Make sure you get the measurement first of the metal peg before you make a deeper key hole.
pamphyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:28 PM   #6
DevGuy
The Spirit

Thanks everyone. I'll look into buying a rotary cutting tool (dremel) and will take it easy.

By the way I'm not sure if the problem is the polystone part of the "key" or the metal peg part of the "key" - as I can't see what's going on once I push it in.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I used a dremel on a statues key once as well.
No problem.

Keep in mind it may effect resale value.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote