Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1091
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Ultron's mouth and overall human elements were distracting, especially on an IMAX screen. I would've preferred a cold robotic exterior. I mean, Sweet Christmas, they gave him individual teeth and the brows to emote!
Come on, they do that with iron man and juggernaut's helmet in the comics and no one thinks anything about that.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #1092
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Come on, they do that with iron man and juggernaut's helmet in the comics and no one thinks anything about that.
Iron Man and Juggy aren't robots
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #1093
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Iron Man and Juggy aren't robots
But their helmets are metal and so is Ultron.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #1094
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
But their helmets are metal and so is Ultron.
Juggernaut's helmet is mystical in nature, so maybe that's the norm for metal in the crimson dimension of Cyttorak. I've never noticed them do that with Iron Man's helmet, but the editing function in comics has pretty much become, "let the artist and writer change things as they see fit", so I wouldn't doubt it.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #1095
MrYac
Hercules

isn't his helmet made here on earth and not actually part of his magic armor?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #1096
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
A comic panel is one thing. Seeing the metal bend and shape on the big screen is another!

It just doesn't make for a sinister robot when his appearance and mannerisms are so distinctly human.

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #1097
Luminous
Cyclops

Not the same thing AT ALL.

EDIT: Just going to leave it at that. Not the same.

Last edited by Luminous; 05-09-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #1098
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Ultron's mouth and overall human elements were distracting, especially on an IMAX screen. I would've preferred a cold robotic exterior. I mean, Sweet Christmas, they gave him individual teeth and the brows to emote!
It was very distracting to me, as throughout, I was anticipating a transition to a more faithful armor that never came. As I said after the trailer, losing the jack o'lantern grimace would be a mistake. I didn't feel he was menacing at all. All his encounters were too talkative, colloquial, and somewhat wishy washy. He seemed to always be on the run. Creating Vision so quickly, despite how cool HE was, seemed too forced, only serving the long term narrative(although he was cool in the final battle). I understand what ILM attempted - by humanizing Ultron, makes him more relateable. Ultimately, even using advanced AI as an excuse to say that he is oh so human, fails for me because, he may as well have been a human in this movie.

Quote:
Comics - static images where they need to use it to show emotion.

Tom Hardy played Bane (with no mouth) to great effect. ILM took the easy way out, utilizing their accrued knowledge of those great Transformer lips.

I enjoyed the movie, but it was closer to Spiderman 3(jammed with too much and/or schizophrenic) than the first Avengers.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #1099
SONICobra
Batman

LOL im glad im not the only one bothered by ultrons lips. I was fine with his mouth moving up and down (although I think it would have been more menacing if it didn't move at all like in the comics) but his lips moving, bending and curling like a human mouth was a little bizarre. still awesome movie but the lips and the cave were my only gripes... and the slightly over done cg in the opening scene still 9/10
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #1100
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong about this? Was the scene from the teaser trailer with Ultron saying "There are no strings on me..." missing from the movie? If I recall, didn't Ultron say that line during a totally different scene, and delivered differently?

If I'm not crazy on that point, then that's another problem I have with it. More than just a pet peeve, that's almost false advertising (ok, exaggeration). That is, even with the lips, that moment exhibited a tone that seems lost/changed from the trailer to movie. Ultron's body language, the way he moved and delivered that line, gave me hope when the lips didn't. Ultron ended up being the most Ultron-y when he first appeared as scrap.

Upon repeat viewings, expectations are gone, so maybe I'll appreciate Ultron more then. Hopefully.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote