Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #2101
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Except for those slanted boots. It’s a minor thing. But I wish they weren’t slanted like that lol.

I definitely get what you mean about the boots but I will be honest, until you did the side by side comparison I do not think that I would have realized it.

To me, it is like what everyone else said, it is the hairline.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #2102
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I noticed the boots straight away. Doesn't bother me. Either way they will look like hooker boots Now they are just modern fashion hooker boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_assault View Post
Excuse me? Jim Lee's Storm looks a lot like Angela Bassett...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
This face doesn't look like a young Angela Bassett to anyone else?
In those two shots I can see where you'd say that and I kinda agree. IMO Ms. Bassett is prettier than Jim Lee drew Storm, but that's because that's where his art was then.

As I got older I and more familiar with African American celebrities, Ororo always looks like Grace Jones and Naomi to me (Storm could hold her own in the Thunderdome).

Also, its not like Lee took an inspiration for Storm from Angela. She wasn't mainstream when his comics dropped - X-Men #1 was in the can before Boyz in the Hood (first time I saw her). Grace Jones and Naomi were though. We are projecting Angela onto his art - which isn't a negative.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #2103
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
In those two shots I can see where you'd say that and I kinda agree. IMO Ms. Bassett is prettier than Jim Lee drew Storm, but that's because that's where his art was then.

As I got older I and more familiar with African American celebrities, Ororo always looks like Grace Jones and Naomi to me (Storm could hold her own in the Thunderdome).

Also, its not like Lee took an inspiration for Storm from Angela. She wasn't mainstream when his comics dropped - X-Men #1 was in the can before Boyz in the Hood (first time I saw her). Grace Jones and Naomi were though. We are projecting Angela onto his art - which isn't a negative.
If I'm not mistaken, Grace Jones and Naomi were both inspirations on her creation.

Yeah, I don't think Lee used Angela's likeness in most of his art. But in that one image... I don't know what year that was made, but the Angela likeness is pretty strong.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #2104
delta_assault
Frackin!

Sometimes things are just happy coincidences.
delta_assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:44 PM   #2105
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Exactly. Another reason I get sick and tired of people asking for more Jim Lee costumed Storms. There are so many of them out there already and no one ever does it accurately, both in terms of the suit itself, but also the portrait and hair. I'm all for a gorgeous portrait and long, flowy hair, but part of the appeal of Jim Lee's version was how he drew her face and hair. Everyone always wants Rogue and Psylocke to look just like how Lee drew them, but not Storm.

This piece was perfect to make an alt EX head that really resembled his style of Storm especially since this PF has the most comic accurate suit that has been made thus far.

Have to say ....that would've been cool if SSC had made a comic-based EX portrait that resembled her in Jim Lee's artwork. That's actually a great idea.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #2106
BurningRage
Inhumans

3500 es
BurningRage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #2107
Demona
Martian Manhunter

That’s it?! It’s more than Rogue and Jean but it seems way less than some male characters or other licenses.

Still hope she sells out quick bc I want more suit designs - like any that came after this one.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #2108
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
3500 es
Wow, that's as much as Captain America. Popular gal. XM only sold 420.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #2109
Demona
Martian Manhunter

To be fair, there are many version of Cap in 1/4 and only 1 other of Storm that came out over a decade ago.

And people are kicking themselves over not getting the XM one, so that may have helped sales. Dunno though.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:34 AM   #2110
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
That?s it?! It?s more than Rogue and Jean but it seems way less than some male characters or other licenses.

Still hope she sells out quick bc I want more suit designs - like any that came after this one.
I wouldn?t expect Cap, Spider-Man or Gambit numbers on Storm. Rogue is a good comparison. And like you said, combine Rogue?s ES and it?s smaller than Storm?s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Wow, that's as much as Captain America. Popular gal. XM only sold 420.
To be fair it?s not that XM only sold 420, it?s that XM only allowed preorders for 2 weeks so the 420 ES is based on that 2 week?s worth of preorders vs several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
XM Studios News

"The Goddess of weather, Ororo aka Storm from the X-Men will be up for PO tonight on our website!”

As with our new PO system, Storm will be open for 2 weeks for online orders and final ES determined after we consolidate orders from
distributors, keeping this piece made-to-order, based on demand so don't miss out on this beautiful piece!
Also consider during that time many were unhappy with the skin tone. Combine that with XM prices and people having an extremely short time to decide if they wanted to spend that money. Multiple factors resulted in 420 ES. Anybody ?on the fence? got left out.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote