Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
dr_teng

Sideshow Collectibles Black Queen Comiquette review

Here’s a review of a statue I didn’t think I’d enjoy, the Sideshow Collectibles Black Queen comiquette, designed by Adam Hughes. I wasn’t sold on the face, wasn’t sold on the pose, wasn’t sold on her breasts about to explode out of her corset, wasn’t sold on a lot of it!

Here's the original link (with higher res pictures) of my Sideshow Collectibles Black Queen review by the way.

I’ve liked a few of the Adam Hughes Sideshow statues (especially Rogue), but I’ve always felt the DC pieces captured his style better. While I’m a fan of scantily clad females, his Emma Frost looked ridiculous and this felt like more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised.

The first thing I noticed, besides the oversized breasts, was the flowing cloth that she holds. It’s really nicely done and a very cool touch. I should mention that she’s normally displayed with a whip but I was an idiot and forgot to put it in her hands during these shots. Moving on. It’s sculpted very well. Black Queen comes off as a royal pain, which is completely suitable for her dominatrix image. The facial expression is great, though not quite spot on with the print.

Since the rear-view photo is above, there is a small problem. The paint ends awkwardly down there so that butt looks a little strange up close. Not like I put my face in there, just from a few feet away. It would’ve made sense to go over that area and give it a little more shading so it wasn’t such an abrupt transition. Aside from that, the paint on my piece was very well done. Most detail areas were well represented.

I received the regular but I enjoyed it enough that I bought the print separately. The print is nicer than the statue but it’s close. The exclusive in this case is well worth it.

4.5/5. Nobody actually cares about the Black Queen as a character but if you’ve ever wanted a Marvel universe dominatrix, here you go!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

wheres her whip?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
dr_teng

I actually mention that earlier in the review but you might have missed it. I completely forgot to display it with her and after I got done shooting and boxing her up I realized my mistake. At that point I was too lazy to reshoot, haha.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

There's a remarkable and refreshing artistic maturity to this piece which sadly, isn't at all illustrated in its Bowen counterpart. IMHO, it's pieces like this which show how companies like Sideshow have evolved and continue to test its artistic limits while others have stagnated and have all but become irrelevant. The numbers are certainly suggesting, even in this difficult economy, that fans seem generally willing to pay for quality and effort. However, the opposite is certainly true as well, as illustrated by the downward spiraling of edition sizes from companies who either appear unwilling, uninterested, or incapable of stepping it up.

Nice piece. Thanks for posting pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

This is a fantastic looking piece. Dont know what I would do when company comes over with a dominatrix statue displayed but she would look great at the local strip club.
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote