Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #61
Augen
Metal Men

I have mixed feelings on the show and I think it is hard to judge fully at the half way point.

Technically I was happy. Voice acting, animation, etc. we're good to me.

The story definitely feels post modernist deconstruction style subverting a lot. That isn't inherently bad, but I get how it ticks people off.

It may surprise some, but as Teela fan...I wasn't thrilled with her characterization or her design (costume and hair cut...blegh) post the inciting incident.

The idea of focusing on supporting cast was interesting to me and trying to pick up mantle when the big good does. Sadly Teela felt a bit "Rodimus" to He-Man "Optimus" and annoyed me being petulant and selfish.

I'll finish the series, hopeful it sticks the landing and does interesting things with the cast and world of Eternia.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #62
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't know, man. I loved He-Man when i was 4. I had drew he-man on paper then cut it with a scissor and played with it like an action figure. (: but i don't feel any urge to watch the new cartoon... I mean, i tried the old show once as an adult and it was super goffy... I was like i wish i didn't watch it as an adult and it had always stayed with me as the best thing ever like when i was 4...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #63
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't know, man. I loved He-Man when i was 4. I had drew he-man on paper then cut it with a scissor and played with it like an action figure. (: but i don't feel any urge to watch the new cartoon... I mean, i tried the old show once as an adult and it was super goofy... I was like i wish i didn't watch it as an adult and it had always stayed with me as the best thing ever like when i was 4...
I'd say the tone is far darker than the 80s version. That was for kids, this seems to be trying to go for kids and the old fans.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #64
SONICobra
Batman

i have only watched the first episode and really liked it up until the very end when teela had a complete meltdown and turned on everything / everyone she loved for a pretty selfish reason
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #65
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i have only watched the first episode and really liked it up until the very end when teela had a complete meltdown and turned on everything / everyone she loved for a pretty selfish reason
I've seen this comment more than once, and I dunno, is it fair? As viewers, who knew the secret from day 1, and have read/watched enough superhero stories explaining the secret identity thing to last us a lifetime, ok maybe I get it.

But in Teela's place, I'd be pissed too... the person I am arguably closest with in my life kept this secret (and why - Teela's no damsel in distress)? And if that's not bad enough, about half the important people in Adam's life DO know That's pretty ----ed up.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #66
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I mean, Adam didn't even wear glasses. He didn't even show any afford to hide his identity. I think Teela just couldn't believe how stupid she was... HA HA
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #67
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
But in Teela's place, I'd be pissed too... the person I am arguably closest with in my life kept this secret (and why - Teela's no damsel in distress)? And if that's not bad enough, about half the important people in Adam's life DO know That's pretty ----ed up.
yeah being upset is one thing but basically telling her dad, adams parents and the rest of her friends to f__k off for good (during their time of mourning as well no less) and abandoning her post as a man at arms (to which they made it very apparent how much that means to her) seems like a pretty abrupt 180 just because she finds out adam was hem-man which i believe was always hinted at that she was suspicious of anyway. just seemed like quite the overreaction - i think if she had dipped into some kind of depression they still could have taken the story where they were going without making her seem so callous
Old 07-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #68
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
yeah being upset is one thing but basically telling her dad, adams parents and the rest of her friends to f__k off for good (during their time of mourning as well no less) and abandoning her post as a man at arms (to which they made it very apparent how much that means to her) seems like a pretty abrupt 180 just because she finds out adam was hem-man which i believe was always hinted at that she was suspicious of anyway. just seemed like quite the overreaction - i think if she had dipped into some kind of depression they still could have taken the story where they were going without making her seem so callous
I guess it just boils down to how big a deal you think this is. Clearly less than me LOL. Which honestly just circles back to my initial comment about the perspective of the viewer.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #69
SONICobra
Batman

true, i guess when i was watching it this whole thing goes down and i just thought her reaction would be much different. when she freaks out it totally wasnt what i was expecting. i kept thinking about this situation if superman had died and lois found out him and clark were one in the same at that point, i dont think she would be pissed at everyone and stop doing what she loved. i think she would support her friends that also loved him and continue to keep trying to make a difference. im still going to watch the rest of the series, im interested to see how it plays out and i really enjoyed the animation ive seen so far
Old 07-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #70
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

I think this show was garbage.

First off, no Skeletor. He’s the best thing about MOTU. Second, Teela isn’t the focal point of MOTU. Third, the animation wasn’t the best.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote