Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

1/4 Sideshow Angela (Comic Costume) Statue

Here is my Angela that i am currently working on. Costume is loosely based on what i see in the comic books. Still needs a lot of work but this is where i am at. Still working on the left hand with the sword. Finished fitting the belt/buckle accessory. She will have a skirt for her butt area.

I have a rough idea on the paint scheme but have not tried it out yet. This is a regular angela i bought for this project and plan on setting her up with my EX Angela when done.

thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
thecollector80

Just got my thread approved so am updating it with pics of the statue with the sword hand. Decided not to add spikes on the left hand. Will start the painting process this week and will start first with applying the base paint for the shiny parts. Still deciding on the overall skin paint scheme though. Will post updates here.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
iceprince_x
Deadman

The sculpt is truly awesome... Looking forward with your progress.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

i was wondering if someone was going to try this, looking forward to seeing more
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Like what I see, looking forward to the updates.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
thecollector80

Ok time for an update. So I f***ed up a while back painting this. I use opaque and transparent paints in layers, so when you mess up it is almost impossible to "paint match" the area. In my case the error was a paint splatter with a lighter semi-transparent paint over several previously laid out layers. I guess i was just tired, trigger finger got "heavy"... and couldn't "feel" the flow of the air/paint mix....Next thing i knew BAM! Several days of painting ruined by a single mistake. I tried to fix it but just ended up adding more mess on top of a mess. Decided to just toss the entire thing back in the solvent bath to strip everything and just start over. Problem with that is the solvent melts all the putty i used to fill in gaps, holes and other imperfections.

So in the end this mistake gave me the opportunity to totally rework the base statue. There were a lot of errors that i initially did not bother to sand and fill in due to lack of time. So i went back and filled/sanded those. I want it to look as smooth as glass this time around. I also removed those "ear wing" pieces and have redesigned and resculpted new ear wing bits. While removing those pieces my knife slipped and sheared off some hair on the front below the chin and those pieces just flew off in my garage and i could not find them...requiring me to resculpt those pieces. Drilled in some armature wires and fixed those. My knife also sliced through the left cheek on it's way down so i fixed that too. Lastly i decided to add more spikes on the left gauntlet. ....umm what else....for now that's all my f**k ups i can think off.

Here are some pics i took a while back. There's been a lot of added work put in since. The statue body is all ready for repriming and i am totally happy with it now. The head is still incomplete because i still have to fit the ear wings...and possibly sculpt in additional hair depending.

Just want to show the mess that it was not too long ago.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #7
ukshaun
Hercules

Resin appears to be pretty awful material to work with. Will be good to see Angela painted.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
thecollector80

Forgot this one...when it was fresh out of the solvent bath a second time...ready to restart again. after putting in many hours of filling, sanding, priming and painting work...only to get stripped down again. Well it just happens....you make a single mistake that just f**ks everything up.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I know the feeling all to well, I have been in endstages to blow it and find myself having to strip and restart, especially multilayered skin tones.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #10
thecollector80

Back working on this project after some setbacks. Was able to complete those new ear/head pieces. Also refinished the sculpted out areas of the ab muscles and back muscles. When i sculpted those in i left a lot of holes and imperfections unfinished. From a distance you could not tell but up close you could see them so i polished them out and now i am totally happy with how smooth things look. Added more spikes to the left arm. Also put in holes on either side of the head pieces so i can attach some round earing-like spawn emblems...in the spawn comics version of Angela i often see those emblems hanging on the side but i have no idea if they are supposed to be earings or just part of the headpiece. Anyway...i will attach them to the headpiece and they will be dangling like earings. Also scuplted in some new hair bundles here and there to cover up some nasty gaps where the headpieces meet with the existing hair.

Here are some new pics after i reprimed the figure today.