Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 03-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #11
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Ah. Surprised to find that out as I'd been under the assumption GG was under the umbrella of a larger, more tech based company.

Good to know now.

Thanks JD.
3DSystems bought Gentle Giant a number of years back. But in the last year or so sold the collectibles division to Diamond Select. Diamond Select license the Gentle Giant name from 3DSystems as 3DS kept the Gentle Giant 3D scanning division. My guess is the Diamond will eventually phase out the GG name so that they don't have to pay any license fees to 3DS.

Mods should consider renaming the category to "Gentle Giant - Diamond Select"
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #12
pdenham
Teen Titans

Got this in a few days ago.

It's a solid hunk of resin that's as heavy as a mo-fo.

I'm still happy I got the PVC flying figure and won't be retiring it just yet- but I'm also happy I finally took the plunge on the bust.

Was always fond of art deco design, and I think that aspect of this property is even better served by a bust with a plinth that can follow through with similar aesthetics, as it does here.
Top to bottom, I feel like it concentrates that era's feel and sensibilities more than it would have, had it been a 1/4 scale posed full figure on a deco themed base.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
wolfius
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

i just got this as well. with it being my first bust, i was kind of nervous just in general, but also about the scale in particular.

but i think it looks fantastic. it is heavy, and the scale is perfect for where i have it displayed, and it also goes great with the gallery PVC figure (which, whoever had the idea of sneaking a puck light underneath, good job by you, love that).

$116 shipped from Amazon is a no-brainer if you're a fan.
wolfius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #14
pdenham
Teen Titans

I finally got around to putting this out, only to find I hadn't taken into account a couple big differences in it's design over the Wonder Woman bust I had displayed in the exact same place earlier.

One is he''s looking up. Since the spot I have for it is above eye level, that means I'm looking up under the helmet. Not a great angle.

If I orientate it to the right or the left, to better see the fin, now the most dominant aspect I'm seeing is the blank underside of the body and the pack.

Unlike the WW which was just a full figure bisected at the waist and put on a pedestal, this is a bust that really only works best at eye level or below.

Right now there's no place for me to put it at that level, so it's gonna be stuck in the box for quite a while.
Sucks that the perfect spot I had for it isn't going to work to it's advantage after all- but glad I realized that before I ordered any others.

Still think it looks killer, though.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote