Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #491
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
That Galactus LSB is a phenomenal bust. I just don't collect busts. I plan on selling my BD modern Warlock, Mistress Death, and Odin statues to create room on top of my detolfs. I plan on displaying Big G standing in between IG Thanos and my chrome museum Surfer. Selling off the other 3 statues will create the room that I need and help me pay for the Galactus MAQ.
I'm a total lifesize bust slut and I've NEVER been able to get down with the Galactus bust. Maybe it's the teeth...
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #492
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I'm a total lifesize bust slut and I've NEVER been able to get down with the Galactus bust. Maybe it's the teeth...
That's cool. We all have different tastes. I personally dig it.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #493
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
I don't take too much stock into their website, BUT I will always trust it more than a random guy on internet with no supporting evidence.
But all your evidence suggested was this highly anticipated statue wasn't even a top 3 best selling statue by days end of its release. And you have no idea what data you're trying to interpret. Is that single day PO volume? Overall PO/purchase volume against all other Sideshow statues to date, this year, this day?

I'd expect any Sideshow statue to be in the top 3 or #1 in single day volume on the first day of its release.

The ES will tell the tale though. Silver Surfer ES was tbd upon release and received a high ES due in part to its big PO #'s. I guess we'll see how Galactus did when his ES is released. Guessing 1500 or less.

Quote:
Nah, people made just as much fun of SS as galactus.
People made fun of the yoked SS initially, they didn't straight up hate it in mass like this Galactus piece.

Quote:
Ss has definitely dropped their pricing in the last few years realizing there's too much competition in the $1000+ market.
No they haven't. Juggernaut and Gladiator Hulk can attest to that. SS has no problem pricing above $1,000 if the scale warrants it. This Galactus doesn't even warrant $850 since there are zero swap outs. No way he's worth $150 more than Rogue and Gambit given their swap out portraits and degree of engineering difficulty.

If any of this is coming off as firey, it's just my disappointment showing.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #494
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
That's cool. We all have different tastes. I personally dig it.
Yeah I even really want to want it.
Almost bought it more than once but just couldn't convince myself it would win me over in person so I can definitely understand the appreciation for it.
Galactus is such an obviously great subject for a an even larger than lifesize bust.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #495
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Yeah I even really want to want it.
Almost bought it more than once but just couldn't convince myself it would win me over in person so I can definitely understand the appreciation for it.
Galactus is such an obviously great subject for a an even larger than lifesize bust.
Most definitely. Galactus is huge so a larger sized bust of him would be awesome. There's even hope for collectors that want a larger sized Galactus statue as well. Hopefully, XM's Galactus will be up to snuff for all the collectors who think this MAQ is too small.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #496
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerFodder View Post

No they haven't. Juggernaut and Gladiator Hulk can attest to that. SS has no problem pricing above $1,000 if the scale warrants it. This Galactus doesn't even warrant $850 since there are zero swap outs. No way he's worth $150 more than Rogue and Gambit given their swap out portraits and degree of engineering difficulty.

If any of this is coming off as firey, it's just my disappointment showing.
This is my biggest question. SSC knows that they can price at higher levels for large pieces and sell them if done well. These two are perfect examples. So why didn't they here?

I honestly think this Galactus at 36 inches, with switch out non-energy hands, and maybe an extra looking down sneering headsculpt would sell very well, even at a $1400 price point. People would still have issues with the outfit or the pose or the price, but my hunch is it would be better received than what they gave us.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #497
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
This is my biggest question. SSC knows that they can price at higher levels for large pieces and sell them if done well. These two are perfect examples. So why didn't they here?

I honestly think this Galactus at 36 inches, with switch out non-energy hands, and maybe an extra looking down sneering headsculpt would sell very well, even at a $1400 price point. People would still have issues with the outfit or the pose or the price, but my hunch is it would be better received than what they gave us.
Maybe it has to do with the K-Bros design.

These mysterious fellows are synonymous with Bowen Designs. I think 85% of their work has been with Bowen Designs. This Galactus does seem like a Bowen-sized piece. Bigger than Sentinels, but smaller than the Sideshow Galactus. Maybe they designed it this size because it's what they are familiar with.

Who the hell knows. What i do know is when this piece was teased we all felt the excitement . . .and as a whole i think the majority of us were let down.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #498
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post

Maybe because they can't. Thanos was an anomaly. The other three $1000+ maquettes didn't exactly set the market on fire and they can't give 1/2 scale star wars away. Now don't get me wrong they are all great statues, but the market is just not there for the volume they need.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #499
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Bowen Designs should've produced the 4' tall one.

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #500
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
After all that initial debate regarding his pose it turns out to be the least of this guy's problems. Wondering how many of those staunch defenders are still going through with this purchase.
I was likely never going to purchase this new one.
No matter how much I may have liked aspects of this new one more, selling the old and shipping it out would have been a huge PITA.

Even with the underwhelming reveal, there are still things I like much more about this new one vs the previous. And only a few things I'd rate weaker (for my taste).

I've seen several people comment on how stubby he looks and how the proportions are better on the OG.
That's one area that has always bugged me about the first and where I honestly see a huge improvement here. This is actually much closer to the proportions of the Galactus I grew up reading.
From Kirby to Buscema to Byrne and everyone in between- they all drew him as stout and stubby in mass, despite (or because of?) his extravagent size.

I also think the head (face and helemt) look much more like a silver/bronze age G than the previous guy.
The helmet on the first always looked more like a purple stovepipe hat to me. The new one looks more whacked out- but I think it hits the spirit of source material more.

In addition I like the raised elements on the kilt, versus the flat, smooth design on the first. Flat was true to the early source material, but giving the design a little more dimension provides more visual interest while not being that radical a revision.

About the only thing I really don't like about this one is the mid-section of the costume. As someone else pointed out, too many organic, french curves.
I don't know that those would have been a deal killer, because there's too much else about it I like.

A burning husk of a city that he's just destroyed as the base? Totally appropriate. It also makes sense that he wouldn't be looking down on it.
He's feasted, he's re-energized. He has the power now to move on through the rest of the cosmos. Who cares about the table scraps?
And the yellows and oranges are complimentary colors to the blues and purples on his costume. I think the color choices work fine.

About the only things I still like better on the original are the overall size and the light up features. The black/blue UV light employed are wonderfully otherworldly/ atmospheric compared to the usual white/soft white LEDs most often used for this stuff.

Had this new one been at least 28-29" for $1K, I think it would have gone over a little better. Even though that 26" is mostly figure compared to other PFs and Maquettes that are elevating characters to get that height, it should have clearly had at least a few more inches over everything else.

It's bizarre that they would produce a Scarlet Witch that has an overall height of 3" more than a new Galactus, but that's Sideshow.

(apologies for the novel-length of this post)
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote