Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 04-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Augen
The Hulk

ESL - The beautiful game is forever changed in Europe

Last night the news broke and the reactions today have come as 12 clubs, 6 from England, 3 from Spain, and 3 from Italy announced intent to break away and form independent "European Super League" utilizing a closed structure for its founding clubs.

It is hard to state how seismic this is for football at the highest level of clubs. In an age where the elite have collectivized more and more wealth this would secure their permanent positions of financial domination.

From what I read broadcasting right be worth 3.5 billion Euros annually creating a gulf in resources that smaller clubs will never be able to close. It was bad enough already, but at least it wasn't guaranteed before.

The Twelve clubs (this number could grow as the league develops)

AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Manchester United, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Tottenham, Juventus

Bundesliga clubs, in particular Bayern Munchen and Borussia Dortmund have rejected the new Super League with many speculating Germany's 50+1 rule of supporters ownership thwarting the effort.

It is safe to say I hate this, and everything it represents. You have massive clubs like Barcelona completely mismanaging their finances despite incredible success and instead of being held to account will be bailed out. Then you have sides like Manchester City who a decade ago would never have been asked to be in such company now closing door on others. Also, sorry Tottenham fans, but...really?

I hope it flops terribly, supporters protest and they crawl back to domestic leagues broken messes to be reclaimed by their long standing loyal fan bases from these parasitic billionaires.

Not sure if I'm only football fan here or not, but needed to vent.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Not sure if I'm only football fan here or not, but needed to vent.
You're not. I have a bad feeling about this, but I'm curious to see how this develops. I wouldn't rule out everybody (rogue clubs and UEFA) eventually agreeing to find some sort of middle ground.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
You're not. I have a bad feeling about this, but I'm curious to see how this develops. I wouldn't rule out everybody (rogue clubs and UEFA) eventually agreeing to find some sort of middle ground.
Knowing the ownership involved I think this ends poorly for the sport and supporters sadly.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
Shoo
The Enchantress

Yeah, them's the breaks.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Pendragon3000
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

That freaking sucks!
I guess they need to pay the superstars. I hope it blows on their faces. I know there are teams that cannot compete with the big clubs due to infrastructure, salarys, etc. but part of the charm of the leagues is t to witness those David vs Goliath moments.
Pendragon3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Shoo
The Enchantress

Hey, Augen, I saw this meme making fun of how the Champions League would be from now on and I thought of you.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

Hahaha! Nice one Shoo.

That is amusing, even if there isn't a Kentucky FC (I mean, think there would be with the sponsor being so obvious).
My local club FC Cincinnati are far away from our own continental Champions League. I'm just happy we have our own home to play at finally. For me live football is the great joy standing and singing along side fellow suppoters.

I've heard a lot of bashing about the US model and the sad part is, exporting the worst parts of it (franchise closed system) without the bits I like (parity and competition).

There is no end to this greed. You have Perez crying poverty despite billions in revenue and players making millions upon millions. Makes you wonder how the sport ever survived up to this point if things are so bad during a decade of growth.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
For me live football is the great joy standing and singing along side fellow suppoters.
Oh, yeah. It's so sad to see those empty stadiums now.

Quote:
There is no end to this greed. You have Perez crying poverty despite billions in revenue and players making millions upon millions. Makes you wonder how the sport ever survived up to this point if things are so bad during a decade of growth.
Yes, it's kinda infuriating.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Augen
The Hulk

Update:

Now hearing Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, and Manchester City are backing out of the ESL. If this happens I think this idea will be dead in the water.

I think clubs that did this should still be punished (point deduction and fine to start next season) but if the back peddle then no expulsion from domestic leagues.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #10
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Update:

Now hearing Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, and Manchester City are backing out of the ESL. If this happens I think this idea will be dead in the water.
I don't think Atletico was backing out. Their president actually confirmed they were in.

Not that it matters, now that all English clubs are out, lol. Boy, was that short-lived.