Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #441
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

OK I finally saw WW 84

The first 20, 25 minutes, even the first 30 minutes I thought was very good. And I do have to admit I did really like Kristen Wiig as the cheetah. Whenever I first heard of the casting I thought “what” but I thought she really did a good job

After that it just went into the “MEH” phase

The action scenes I thought were very good
I love the fight that she had with the Cheetah. However the plot of the movie just seemed like it was taken from a 1950s or 1960s DC comic. I did like the reference to the Duke of Deception but I just think with how complex the comic has made the Cheetah with her origin (regardless what version of the Cheetah it was) and what they did for her in the movie was such a copout. That having the basic plot of the movie based on the whole wish stone I think we just such a mess

I’m actually glad I saw it now after all of the negativity around the movie came out because there were parts of it I appreciated but I really think they missed the boat on what could’ve been a fantastic movie. And I do agree it should have either been Max Lord is the villain or the Cheetah is a villain not both.

However I did love the Lynda Carter cameo and I’m glad they were able to get her into the movie and if we do see a third movie I think it would be cool to see her in the movie a little bit more

I would say this was just an average superhero flick and I’ll be honest I would probably have to give it a 6, maybe a 6 1/2. I really do hope if there was a third Wonder Woman movie that they do knock it out of the park.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #442
built2shred
Phoenix

The 1st WW movie was just ok and this 2nd one was pretty bad, I can't imagine the 3rd being any better, odds are it will be worse given the direction of the first two movies...

Warner Brothers needs to fire everyone who's been a part of the DC movies lately and start fresh with a new team... because this existing team doesn't have a clue what their doing...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:56 PM   #443
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

They need to stop having Geoff Johns involved for starters, dude’s a total hack, so is Scott Snyder but I don’t think he’s involved in the DC movies….not yet anyway. Two of the most over rated writers in comics today.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:26 AM   #444
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
OK I finally saw WW 84

The first 20, 25 minutes, even the first 30 minutes I thought was very good. And I do have to admit I did really like Kristen Wiig as the cheetah. Whenever I first heard of the casting I thought “what” but I thought she really did a good job

After that it just went into the “MEH” phase

The action scenes I thought were very good
I love the fight that she had with the Cheetah. However the plot of the movie just seemed like it was taken from a 1950s or 1960s DC comic. I did like the reference to the Duke of Deception but I just think with how complex the comic has made the Cheetah with her origin (regardless what version of the Cheetah it was) and what they did for her in the movie was such a copout. That having the basic plot of the movie based on the whole wish stone I think we just such a mess

I’m actually glad I saw it now after all of the negativity around the movie came out because there were parts of it I appreciated but I really think they missed the boat on what could’ve been a fantastic movie. And I do agree it should have either been Max Lord is the villain or the Cheetah is a villain not both.

However I did love the Lynda Carter cameo and I’m glad they were able to get her into the movie and if we do see a third movie I think it would be cool to see her in the movie a little bit more

I would say this was just an average superhero flick and I’ll be honest I would probably have to give it a 6, maybe a 6 1/2. I really do hope if there was a third Wonder Woman movie that they do knock it out of the park.
Agree with what you say.

There was no need to alter the classic comic book origins of Max Lord or Cheetah that much. It's like an ongoing oft-repeated mistake.

I have to admit that after this movie I have tempered my expectations for DC movies (or superhero movies in general) even more. I mean, I know DC movies can be bad but I just don't get caught up in the hype and anticipation as much. I followed the hype for this movie and was expecting a lot after the first but unfortunately things can go very left after a fairly successful first movie (see also Man of Steel and then BvS.) Directors can tend to indulge in their worst instincts with superhero movies. (See also Birds of Prey.) I'm a DC fan but either WB hit it out of the park or not, I'll just wait to see how it turns out, not wait in anticipation for any of their movies. I do want WW3 and the Amazons spinoff movie to turn out well, as well as Flash, Blue Beetle, The Batman and Batgirl etc. But who knows. It's (still) like a crapshoot.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #445
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I wonder if the people who are doing the TV shows should have more hand in doing the movies. Considering that the TV shows have been successful even though I don’t watch them regularly anymore they still definitely have a Fanbase. And yes it is easier to be a little more comic faithful with a TV show that it is a movie but there is no reason why a movie can’t be a little more comic accurate. I do think sometimes they might try to put too much into the movie where they need to look at the whole “less is more” as a better alternative.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #446
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I wonder if the people who are doing the TV shows should have more hand in doing the movies. Considering that the TV shows have been successful even though I don’t watch them regularly anymore they still definitely have a Fanbase. And yes it is easier to be a little more comic faithful with a TV show that it is a movie but there is no reason why a movie can’t be a little more comic accurate. I do think sometimes they might try to put too much into the movie where they need to look at the whole “less is more” as a better alternative.
I agree with "less is more"- get down to basics, with the action and story and it works. The first WW was like that and it worked. This one was all too much. A simple Cheetah comics origin story would be more than enough but these movies get their high falutin' ideas and go off on all these tangents.

As for TV, with HBOMax and WB connecting more of their continuity with TV and movies together (e.g. Green Lantern) maybe there will be more cohesion. TV writers seem to be more on the ball with their comics knowledge, though they can tend to stray and become very soap-opery as the series goes on. But with it all coming together more, hopefully there will be some improvements. Hate to say it, but Marvel does keep it simpler and they stick to basics and it works and is cohesive. WB does give more leeway to its film creative teams but enough is enough if they're going to move too far away from the source material. WW84 didn't feel like it was doing any great world-building or building up the WW mythology from the comics. Neither did Birds of Prey.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #447
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I realize i am very late to the party but just wanted to chip in. I just saw the movie on Amazon Prime and must admit that I was positively surprised. I think Gal Gadot was born to play Wonder Woman since the role appears to fit her like a glove.

I really liked the start of the movie with little Diana taking part in a race. That was a great start and the movie did not disappoint after that first spectacular start. I liked the action scenes, the romance between Diana and Steve and the story within the story that sometimes you have to be careful what you wish you since it might cost you more than you'd expect.

All in all I found it a very solid and enjoyable movie and I am happy to have seen it.
YMMV but I'd give this movie a well-deserved 9/10 since it positively surprised me and gave me a very enjoyable evening.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #448
Augen
Metal Men

Well, I am glad other enjoyed it.

I'll agree I like Gadot as Diana.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #449
AC_808
Hercules

That's the best part for me ...Gal being WW.

Everything else was a step down from the first WW movie.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #450
ukshaun
Hercules

Watched it once.. haven't felt the need to watch it a 2nd time.
I recall enjoying the opening scene. About 1hr after that there is a decent Wonder Woman action packed road sequence. Other than that, lacking most of the time. I had no interest in Maxwell Lord.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote