Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #1191
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

On the topic of 24...

24, seasons 1 - 8: 10/10.

My wife and I just finished binge-watching all 8 seasons. This show is a thrill-ride that can leave the viewer exausted! Even the most implausible elements don't matter as you're swept up in the unbelievable rollercoaster that is each episode of this series.

Wow.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #1192
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Man I really miss the original 24. Unfortunately I don't think it has a future with Legacy. It needs writing that's on par with the original series to be successful. The jaw dropping moments/twists/betrayals and Jack Bauer's relentless pursuit of his prey were what made 24 so great.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #1193
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Man I really miss the original 24. Unfortunately I don't think it has a future with Legacy. It needs writing that's on par with the original series to be successful. The jaw dropping moments/twists/betrayals and Jack Bauer's relentless pursuit of his prey were what made 24 so great.
Jack is an amazing character. The integrity and moral compass, plus the fighting skills, of Captain America...adding fighting skills of Batman and Daredevil. The detective capabilities of Batman. The fear-inducing reputation of Batman, The Punisher or The Shadow. The weapons expertise and sheer brutality of The Punisher. The ability to come back from harm like Wolverine. The guy seemingly can do anything with every skill plus the moral compass to alway do, and to always be, right.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #1194
Python
Omega Red

It took me a long old time as I had a few breaks. But last night I finally finished all of the X files (originals up to S8) It's a pretty timeless show with it's ups and downs, but over all it's as brilliant as ever. I need to find the newer ones now as I avoided them until I'd re-watched the originals.

And then it's time for another Babylon 5 marathon, I can't get enough of that show and watch it all every year or two.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #1195
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Jack is an amazing character. The integrity and moral compass, plus the fighting skills, of Captain America...adding fighting skills of Batman and Daredevil. The detective capabilities of Batman. The fear-inducing reputation of Batman, The Punisher or The Shadow. The weapons expertise and sheer brutality of The Punisher. The ability to come back from harm like Wolverine. The guy seemingly can do anything with every skill plus the moral compass to alway do, and to always be, right.
I LOVE Jack Bauer, and I totally missed him in Legacy. I had hoped we'd get one more season with him and hopefully one with some kind of closure for the character. He's not dead so he could possibly return at some point, but his age and everything he's been through over the years are sort of against him. I remember thinking in that final season or two of 24 that as much as I loved JB, I just felt, "enough, let this man have some peace!". lol

Legacy was ok, but I don't think you can top what's come before. The lead was just not as engaging as Kiefer and unless you have a really engaging lead the rest is not going to work completely. I think the producers need to take the blueprint of 24 and rework it to be something new, they shouldn't follow what's come before but just do something new with the concept.

Homeland is similar to 24 and it's from the producers of 24 I believe. Great show and Claire Danes is great in the role. I recommend it for fans of 24. It's not as action oriented and it's a tad more grounded in reality (just a tad ), but you can see traces of 24 throughout.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #1196
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
It took me a long old time as I had a few breaks. But last night I finally finished all of the X files (originals up to S8) It's a pretty timeless show with it's ups and downs, but over all it's as brilliant as ever. I need to find the newer ones now as I avoided them until I'd re-watched the originals.
No Season 9 for you? It's a flawed season, but mainly due to Mulder not being around and them still trying to involve him. I've actually always liked the Dogget and Reyes episodes. I think that it became a mess of a season because they didn't move on from Mulder and to some degree Scully.

The new episodes were good when they were the monster of the week variety, but the conspiracy episodes were not as good IMO because it was such a short season. I'm looking forward to this year's episodes, hopefully they learned from last year's missteps.

Kumail Nanjiani from Sillicon Valley, who had a small role in one of the new episodes, was doing a podcast about the X-Files which was pretty entertaining. He got up to about Season 4 and then just stopped for some reason. Give it a listen when you have time.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #1197
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
No Season 9 for you? It's a flawed season, but mainly due to Mulder not being around and them still trying to involve him. I've actually always liked the Dogget and Reyes episodes. I think that it became a mess of a season because they didn't move on from Mulder and to some degree Scully.

The new episodes were good when they were the monster of the week variety, but the conspiracy episodes were not as good IMO because it was such a short season. I'm looking forward to this year's episodes, hopefully they learned from last year's missteps.

Kumail Nanjiani from Sillicon Valley, who had a small role in one of the new episodes, was doing a podcast about the X-Files which was pretty entertaining. He got up to about Season 4 and then just stopped for some reason. Give it a listen when you have time.

Well blow me, I have another season to go.. It must be separate in the box set (the main bulk of which is in storage) and it's been so long since I watched the later episodes that I'd forgotten it even existed. A nice surprise then as I quite like Dogget and Reyes also. I mean obviously they're no Mulder and Skully, but X files are X files... I don't even remember the finale so that will be a surprise all over again.

Londo and G'kar will have to wait a little longer.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #1198
risingstar
Jedi Order

I-Zombie
Season 1 - 8.5/10
Season 2 - 8/10

A fun Buffy vibe to this one.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #1199
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Well blow me, I have another season to go.. It must be separate in the box set (the main bulk of which is in storage) and it's been so long since I watched the later episodes that I'd forgotten it even existed. A nice surprise then as I quite like Dogget and Reyes also. I mean obviously they're no Mulder and Skully, but X files are X files... I don't even remember the finale so that will be a surprise all over again.
Good thing I said something then!

You're right, Dogget and Reyes are no Mulder and Scully, but they were cool in their own way. The series finale was a letdown, but not enough to ruin the series or anything.

Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #1200
nidewetsuit
Kindly Asked To Leave

Okay, I'm addicted to The Voice. Please don't judge. Lol (9/10)
nidewetsuit is offline   Reply With Quote