Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #691
Vatos Locos
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Heidegger- time and being
Vatos Locos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #692
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Currently reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. Haven't read anything of his since "The World According to Garp" over 30 years ago. Understand from his interview with Stephen Colbert that "Owen Meany" is his best selling book, despite the the fact that "Garp" and "Ciderhouse Rules" both were made into films. Half way into this one and really enjoying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I loved this book in my 30's & read it 3 or 4 times, it's that great. Let us know what you think. I saw John Irving speak once & he was in the process/early stages of writing this book. It was fascinating & as I read it, I recalled much of his process. I like this book even more than Garp. They tried to make a film of Owen but it wasn't very good. I found the book unfilmable on account of Owen's character which was a good thing imo. The movie was called Simon Birch. You may wanna give it a watch after finishing the book just to see how they did.
Just finished this and, wow, what a great book. I need to sit with it a few days and let it all sink in but such a beautifully crafted novel. Jerry, I loved it, too.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #693
protector2814
Phoenix

It's a great book! Glad you enjoyed it. Lawrence Welk & Penguins.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #694
ukshaun
Hercules

Morrissey Autobiography

457 pages long, and i'm on page 398
I started this book last year, and would read about 4 pages at a time then put it down. The start of the book focuses on Steven's (Morrissey) early years at school, family life in Manchester.

I made real headway, when I went on holiday, and it involved a 3.5hr flight each way. I find flying real boring, and can't focus on films or music mid flight, and read books. That's the real issue, I find little time to read, as there's too much other stuff to do. Close to the end, I've found the energy required to finish the book, and hope to put it down for good withing 7 days (that's the plan )
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #695
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
It's a great book! Glad you enjoyed it. Lawrence Welk & Penguins.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #696
protector2814
Phoenix

Been on a major Conan jag of late. Have read the pure-Howard stuff so many times that I jumped on over to the Spague de Camp stuff and the "gag" Steve Perry.

Conan the Adventurer Howard & De Camp
Conan The Usurper Howard & De Camp
Conan the Conqueror Howard & De Camp
Conan The Avenger Howard, Nyberg & De Camp
Conan of the Isles De Camp & Carter

all the above were quite good. Dealing w/ Conan's later years

Conan the Fearless Perry
Conan the Defiant Perry
Conan the Indomitable Perry

The above, while fun to read while waiting in the school pick-up line, mostly blew chunks & even contained a bit of gross soft-core Conan situations that made the books even dumber.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #697
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Reading the Gil Kane Aventures of Superman HC. Not an artist I associate with this character, but excellent art and fun stories.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #698
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

In St. Thomas where my wife and I are sunning ourselves, and brought along To Kill A Mockingbird before the news of Harper Lee's deaths was announced. A strange coincidence, timing wise, of grabbing this book off my shelf only a couple of days before its famous author passed. Haven't read it since High School, the movie is maybe my favorite film of all time, I'm about half way through it and still am stunned at the power of this book, and that something like this could have been written by someone from the Deep South in the early 20th century.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #699
AdamTheAnimal
Fantastic Four

Just started reading Spawn...read it before but not the whole thing.Now that I got ComicRack on my Ipad the sky is the limit when it comes to comics
AdamTheAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #700
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I decided to read the first book of the Mercy Thompson series, Moon Called. I have had more than a few people recommend the series to me over the years, but I never got around to it as I figured it was just another young adult series with vampires and werewolves.

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong and I was definitely wrong on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it and immediately ordered the next 2 books in the series, Blood Bound & Iron Kissed. I plan on starting book 2 later tonight. Its nice to see there are still authors out there that can do this genre justice.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote