abarron
Batman

Just finished Vol 3 of Garen Ewing's Rainbow

Really enjoyed it and reminded me a lot of Tintin
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #92
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm no fan of Rob Liefeld, but one thing I have noticed over the years is that when other people work on his creations, the results can be pretty amazing. Case in point: the recently released Prophet Volume 1: Remission tpb.

Sequentially, this is considered issues 21 - 26 of Prophet, but it's actually 1 - 6 of an all-new series. Written by Brandom Graham, with art by Graham, Simon Roy, Farel Dalrymple, and Giannis Milogiannis, the story features Prophet waking up on an Earth so far in the future that it's unrecognizable - the environment and lifeforms have changed and/or been replaced with something completely alien - and Prophet must undertake a quest to "restart the Earth Empire". It reads and looks like something I'd expect to see in Metal Hurlant. It's completely bizarre, and quite stunning. Plus, the collection retails for only $9.99, so this was a gamble that more than paid off. I certainly plan on getting future volumes.

I've noticed that Image has some similarly inexpensive trades on the way (Glory, Saga), so I'm willing to check those out as well.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #93
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I read a few issues of Prophet years ago when Stephen Platt was illustrating the book. I'm not the biggest fan of that style now, but Stephen was DEFINITELY a step up from Rob, and the writing was entertaining, as well (though I forget who wrote it).

That premise sounds interesting, BT.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #94
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Bought issue #101 of WD, as #100 brought me back to the series after years of not bothering with it.

#101 was good stuff, but I think I'm good on not buyin' WD until #200, again.

#200 should be just about a "wrap' on the series, I would think... the tv show will have wrapped by then.. and Kirkman could finish off 'his baby' in style; I'm sure "Invincible" will still be around, in some form.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #95
Loops
Kindly Asked To Leave

Atomic Robo Volume 5: Deadly Art of Science...

Like all Atomic Robo stories it's full of action, jokes, its fun to read, has a "pulp-y" feel to it and involves science. This TPB even has Tesla in it I highly recommend all the Atomic Robo TPBs!

"1930's: A young ATOMIC ROBO yearns for adventure and excitement beyond the lessons of his creator, Nikola Tesla. Meanwhile, a mad scientist's quest for immortality puts the entire island of Manhattan in danger! It's up to ROBO's forbidden moonlighting team-up with vigilante gunfighter / incredibly reluctant mentor JACK TAROT to put a stop to it. Features a man with two skulls, a massive behemoth robot, vampires (a little) and first love."
[Amazon.com book description]
Loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #96
risingstar
Jedi Order

I recently reread the Squadron Supreme 12 issue collection in TPB. While I still enjoyed the series, I never cease to be amazed at how many books from that era don't read the same way 15+ years later. The dialogue, artwork, pacing, and so on, felt quite dated and had an impact on my overall enjoyment of the piece. Still a classic. However, the story could have been told in 6 issues.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #97
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I recently reread the Squadron Supreme 12 issue collection in TPB. While I still enjoyed the series, I never cease to be amazed at how many books from that era don't read the same way 15+ years later. The dialogue, artwork, pacing, and so on, felt quite dated and had an impact on my overall enjoyment of the piece. Still a classic. However, the story could have been told in 6 issues.
I still haven't read this; need to do so.

I just chalk up dated writing/art as "sign of the times".
Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #98
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I liked it, but haven't read it in a while. I'd totally recommend it, though.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #99
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I agree. However, these "signs" quite often have an impact even greater than the nostagia charm of the era. Seventies Marvel books are actually even tougher to read at times.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #100
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I liked it, but haven't read it in a while. I'd totally recommend it, though.
It's the next tpb I'll pick up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I agree. However, these "signs" quite often have an impact even greater than the nostagia charm of the era. Seventies Marvel books are actually even tougher to read at times.
Ah... I get where you're goin' with that, RS. Duly noted.