Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

SIDESHOW CONAN THE BARBARIAN PF REVIEW

It seems like I have waited my whole life for this statue. When I was younger I was a Conan freak. I ran around the woods with a wooden sword slaying many a foe. I just loved this film and I still do. I was pumped when I heard that SS was doing a Pf of Conan and I could not wait to see what they would do. Would I be dissapointed?? Let's see.

Face sculpt - 4.5 out of 5 - It is amazing how much this looks like young Arnold. The eyes, the shape of the mouth, the slightly heavier look. It's all there. I only took off 1/2 a point because of the hair. I know it is probably hard to get a good sculpted look for long hair and it sort of shows with this PF. It's not bad. It is just a bit off. the right side of his hair when looking at him looks great. But it's the left side that is just a bit of an unnatural looking.

Paint - 3.5 out of 5 - I like the ashy look of the black and white war paint. It is not as dark as it is in the film but I think it gives the statue a more natural look. I took off a whole point because of the blood. The blood looks great on his hands but on his chest it just seems Lazy. Two big splats is all we get and they look like something my three yr old could have done. The also overdid the blood on the sword. I thought about taking another 1/2 point off for the bad blood but it does not really take away my enjoyment of the statue. I really don't notice it.

Body Sculpt - 5 out of 5 / Pose - 5 out of 5 - Total - 5 out of 5 - This is were this statue really shines. I really feel this is the best body scult/pose of and actual human that SS has done in it' PF line. The muscle tone looks just like Arnold's did back then. SS did not go crazt and try to make him bigger or more ripped. They could have tried to give hime a more "Conan the Destroyer" build but were smart to stay true to the film. This is spot on accurate. As for the pose, well that is another great job done by SS. I love that he is coming down the steps. It looks so real and natural. it's an action pose without being over the top or stiff. Just perfect.

Clothes - 4.5 out of 5 What is there looks great but there is not much there which is the only reason I did not give it a perfect 5 star rating. Don't get me wrong, it represents what Conan was at that point of the film I just can't see giving it a 5 when the T2 gets a 5. The sword Sheath is made out of resin. I wish it was real fur - There 1/2 a point gone.

Weapons - 4 out of 5 - I own an Atlantean sword and the one SS has done is just about a Perfect replica of it. The detail is amazing. The only reason for a point being taken off is that it does look a bit plasticy. I with they used real metal like they did with Jason's machete. But it still gooks great.

Lasting appeal - 5 out of 5 - I will never get rid of this piece. I never get tired of looking at it and being that Conan was such a big part of my young chidhood, I get to feel a little younger everytime I look at him.

Overall - 4.5 out of 5 not an average - The Hair, blood and plastic looking sword bring this piece down from being a perfect 5 out of 5. But everything else about the statue is perfect. This is Conan at his most Iconic and I can not heap enough praise on this. If you are on the fence about this one, then take a chance, I am sure you won't be dissapointed. GREAT JOB SS!!!!
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Crom!! I want this sooooooo bad! Conan the Barbarian is one of my favs!
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Great Review Thanks for writing it up Jaws.
Just picked up Moore's Conan the Conqueror statue so I'll have to wait a while on this version. But, I will own it one day.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
pjrca
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Your review of this piece is superb! All I needed to get me "over the hill" and commit to the purchase. Any chance you will do the same for the King Leonidas PF?
pjrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Great Review!!! I want one of these!!!!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrca View Post
Your review of this piece is superb! All I needed to get me "over the hill" and commit to the purchase. Any chance you will do the same for the King Leonidas PF?

I would if I owned him. From what I have seen and read, if you pick up a King Leonidas then the exclusive is the only way to go.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
pjrca
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I would if I owned him. From what I have seen and read, if you pick up a King Leonidas then the exclusive is the only way to go.
That's unfortunate...I would have waited for your review. Anyway, that was my intention...the King of Sparta is just not complete without the helm. Thanks Jaws!
pjrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Great PF and review. I hope they make a Conan the Destroyer PF as well.
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
F0RSAK3N
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Great piece! Thanks for the review.
F0RSAK3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Because of this review I got one of these!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote