Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 07-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #261
gomur
The Tick

Vast majority of Bowens are 1:7 scale, I'll agree.

Some of the bigger Bowens (Modern Rogue, 90s Jean Grey, Weapon-X Wolverine) maybe push into 1:6.5 territory. They display well with the Kotos - which has also been called 1:6 but honestly aren't for the reasons Goju has outlined in regards to scale.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #262
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Vast majority of Bowens are 1:7 scale, I'll agree.

Some of the bigger Bowens (Modern Rogue, 90s Jean Grey, Weapon-X Wolverine) maybe push into 1:6.5 territory. They display well with the Kotos - which has also been called 1:6 but honestly aren't for the reasons Goju has outlined in regards to scale.
Ditto. The 1/6 scale reference mistake started with factories in China. It had to do with the molding and casting of original masters. Way before printing digital files. The term was perpetuated regardless of the mistake as an industry standard. Same with quarter scale. That’s why nowadays people refer to “true” 1/6 or 1/4 scale pieces.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #263
TV8
A day without sunshine is like... night.

As soon as I opened and set up my Punisher First Appearance...I put it back in the styrofoam and sold it. It is 1:7.5 at best, maybe 1:8. And the detail in musculature etc was lost in reducing it to that size. Massive disappointment.
..made the Punisher Classic a no brainer purchase though!
TV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #264
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Ditto. The 1/6 scale reference mistake started with factories in China. It had to do with the molding and casting of original masters. Way before printing digital files. The term was perpetuated regardless of the mistake as an industry standard. Same with quarter scale. That’s why nowadays people refer to “true” 1/6 or 1/4 scale pieces.
Interesting. I always wondered about the origin story on that. I assumed it had to do with people not including the base in the given height of a piece, but this would make sense.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #265
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Interesting. I always wondered about the origin story on that. I assumed it had to do with people not including the base in the given height of a piece, but this would make sense.
Yeah, back then you had to ship the master to China to be casted and then molded. With traditional sculpting size always vary. Now, all you have to do is send an email with the digital file. The factories size the prototype as requested.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:04 AM   #266
goju
Doh!

Last edited by goju; 08-26-2021 at 01:08 PM.
goju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #267
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

It’s kind of funny to see how the scale evolved. Originally the industry tended to market heavily by inches. 12 inch figures became 1/6, 18 inch statues 1/4. Many collectors mistake those for being 1/6 or 1/4 and don’t understand why older pieces look out of scale. Never mind the rarely used Bowen 1/7.
Tbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #268
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Maybe that is one reason why Bowen could keep his prices down by using the 1/7th scale
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:15 AM   #269
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The early Bowen statues even have 1/8th scale written on their boxes themselves. Then Randy eventually graduated to 1/7 scale I think but just stated the size in inches instead of actual scale.
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #270
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
It’s kind of funny to see how the scale evolved. Originally the industry tended to market heavily by inches. 12 inch figures became 1/6, 18 inch statues 1/4. Many collectors mistake those for being 1/6 or 1/4 and don’t understand why older pieces look out of scale. Never mind the rarely used Bowen 1/7.
In some ways, it still does. When you send digital files to factories in China, requests are made in inches rather than scale. You ask for a print to be made in 12”, 18” or 26” rather than 1/6, 1/4 or 1/3 scale. the factory prints those files accordingly. Also adjustments are made to keep cost down. That’s why there has been some disparity over the years. Even among products offered by the same company. Bowen did this a lot.