Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Ndamukong Suh - A Statement

Alright, this is kind of long, so thanks in advance for all who choose to read it...

Ndamakong Suh has been a beast since entering this league - making his mark early as a physical, intense player who understands that he plays a rough, brutal sport, in one of the most vicious and unmonitored places in the league - in the trench. He could easily have played 40-50 years ago in the NFL and been that player that we hear about today in awe and fear - like Deacon Jones, Joe Greene and the Hacksaw. This has been my BOY since coming into the league - not because of his physical dominance (or the fact that he plays for my team, which certainly helps) but it's his mental attitude and smarts about his position and the game. With quotes like, "our job isn't only to stop the offense, it's to create fear" and "my duty is to help our team win and meet your quarterback". He gets this game - he's a pure beast! I'm betting even with all his critics, there are 31 other teams that would LOVE to have him anchoring their front line. I would love for offensive lineman that have played against him to be surveyed and hear from specifically them. I'm betting that the majority of players that labeled him as "dirty" never lined up against him, and yet there's probably a few that have. I guess it's a bit unknown...

As a senior in college, Suh became one of the most decorated defensive players in college football history. He won awards including the Associated Press College Football Player of the Year Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy. He was also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, finishing fourth (To read more about Suh, go here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ndamukong_Suh) But one thing you DONT see? Stories about his being a cheap shot artist or dirty. I wonder why there were no stories about Suh being a dirty player while he was a starter at the University of Nebraska? During draft day you always hear about players that coaches "have concerns about" but nothing about this All-American. Certainly as a player in the trench in the Big 12, there HAD to have been opportunities for him to get dirty. Yet nothing. I guess a person's character just changes over night. Because after less than 2 seasons (and actually this is a story from this season), he's been branded as dirty. Not only that - but the ENTIRE Detroit Lions team has been labeled as thugs and dirty.

Not the Ravens or the Steelers - THEY are hard hitting, throwback teams, that play football with a classic intensity. Even though they have been hit with a TON of fines for helmet hitting, late hits, cheap shots, you name it (leading the league in fines since 2007). but not ONE story for them being dirty. Even James Harrison with ALL of his fines has NEVER been called "dirty" specifically...THESE are classic teams. So why not the Lions? The Lions couldn't actually be punching people in the mouth - this is Detroit right? They are supposed to be the punching bag - not doing the hitting back. But they are hitting back. And right in the effing face.

I remember after they played ATL, the Falcons came out saying, "hey! They kicked Matt Ryan when he was down on the turf, they were joking about him being hurt!" yada yada yada...yet when challenged by league officials to show that footage of Ryan being kicked (only too eager to hand out some fines, etc) there was nothing. No evidence. No fines. No story. No truth. :

Yet this stereotype of Suh and the Lions continues.

A few days back, Suh did one of the stupidest things Ive EVER seen in a NFL game when he stomped that guy on Thanksgiving - not just because it was stupid in isolation, but ULTRA-stupid, because at that point it was 7-0, the game was tightly contested, and the Lions were competing in a game to possibly knock of the world champs on national TV! Then the personal foul, the ejection, and there goes the rock of the D-line, and with the the crowd, the team's enthusiasm, and the game. the worst part about it is, all the mindless critics, and media jackasses, now had the story they've been TRYING to write for months now - I hate that, giving them the story.

In my opinion, 22 year old men do stupid things, especially when going from a small spotlight to a REALLY big one. Unfortunately this was dumb AND dangerous. He should get some games (even if not from the league, from the coach) learn from it, and come back a better man. But he's far from dirty. He doesn't have that reputation in reality, and I refuse to give it to him after two seasons, one bad event, and a ton of bullsh1t media hype, and bunch of scaredy-cat ass players that have had their asses personally mowed up. After drawing double teams every single game for weeks on end, no doubt some frustration crept in - but even with frustration, one has to be smart - and boy was he NOT on that play.

It's the great media story to call Detroit the "bad boys" - so much coverage came out of the the Bad Boy teams of the 80's and 90's, this all about media coverage and the dollar - marketing the Lions (specifically Detroit) to be the villains of the league. When the Lions played Denver a few weeks back, the lead story on NFL.com was "good vs evil". Seriously?! Isn't that a bit much?

I've seen every Lions game this year, and I've seen every game Suh has been in since becoming Lion. And it's funny - he wasn't even called dirty last season - I guess thats the burden you get when the team wins. As long as the Lions are a joke, it's all good.

If I were an offensive player in this league, I'd be concerned that this very smart, intense, and emotional young man will be back, and hopefully smarter for this experience - and with a chip on his shoulder to play even harder. He doesn't quit on plays. He doesn't take plays off, he knows that FEW players in this league can handle him 1-1, or dare to try - he is determination personified with a definite mean streak. And he's smart, however, unwise. When he does return he will continue to be your nightmare as you send your double teams at him, and try to chop block him, hit him low, etc, and all those other things that happen in the trenches to D-linemen in this league. I will continue to rock my Suh jersey and root for my boys, until there's real evidence that he's a career dirty player, and the rest of the league calls other teams dirty that are guilty of FAR MORE than the Lions are. For all you yahoos that want to jump on this horsesh1t bandwagon, prove to me that you're an actual football fan, not just a fairweather fan because your team is winning. Otherwise you can put a sock in it too. I'll be glad to debate this with you if you like, I like smart, engaging dialogue in football even if we disagree.

And he better not do this sh1t again - cause I'll be pissed that I have to consider abandoning one of my favorite players ever in this league (its so cool how he comes out of the tunnel during introductions like Rob Van Dam). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Later mugs. And EFF you Bears.

Peace,

Vaulty

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/11/01/nd...player-of-the/

An article from 11-1-2010
Old 11-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Aren't there sports blogs/websites for this stuff? Why post it here?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
Aren't there sports blogs/websites for this stuff? Why post it here?
Because
1) SF has a sports section
2) I wanted to
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Old 11-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

We don't need Suh to sack Cutler. His own lineman can do that. lol
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Predator
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
We don't need Suh to sack Cutler. His own lineman can do that. lol
Now that's dirty!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Because
1) SF has a sports section
2) I wanted to
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Predator
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Detroit always gets a bad rap. The NFL and the Media are always looking for a story. What else would they have to write or talk about this week if not for Suh? Gotta have something to talk about in order to fill up those time slots. Ever sit and listen to an entire block of sports radio? There is something wrong with you if you dont feel like jumping in front of a truck afterwards.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I love everything about this post. The picture of Cutler get lit up twice is even funnier.

Total plus for bringing up the original Bad Boys, AKA Detroit Pistons, who caused the creation of the flagrant foul. Talk about being brutal, guys got laid out for attempting a lay-up in a league that is half as dangerous as football.

People hate on the Lions because they can. I laugh at the Lions and know what they have been for the past 30 years, but I'm not calling a whole defense dirty after two thirds of a decent season and one bonehead play.

That being said, this Michigan girl will gladly encourage the Lions to release that dirty player Suh....he would look much better in purple and yellow...come on Suh, you know you want to be on a team known for D
Closed Thread