Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-29-2023, 08:07 AM   #91
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

This will totally be going down as one of the biggest flops in movie history. And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person - Ezra Miller. Hopefully this means his career is over.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:36 AM   #92
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Ezra Miller has demons that he needs to get sorted out. That type of self-destructive, bullsh!t, dangerous, violent behavior reminds me of all the stuff going on with Bam Margera. There is really only one way both of their stories will end - with them dead. I'm no expert to determine if it self-inflicted (drugs, alcohol) or genetics (mental illness), or one leads to the other, but it's not gonna end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
I was just reading that this movie will lose WB $200 million. I suspect the new Indiana Jones film will suffer the same fate. I can't believe movies cost so much to make nowadays and the CGI doesn't even look as good as T2 or Starship Troopers.

P.S. They just cast the new Superman and Lois Lane. I wonder how well the Gunnverse will do. I don't see why Cavill couldn't have played Superman for another 10 years and then done a Kingdom Come version.
And then cast a man who is like the poor man's Cavill. I don't understand how they cut loose the actor that looks most like comic book Superman since Christopher Reeve. Mindboggling! And I'm not just saying that because I loooove Cavill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I need to watch Multiverse of Madness again.
Solid movie. I enjoyed this as much as I thought I would.

You really should watch it NB3. And the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. It's amazeballs.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:13 AM   #93
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
yeah... theyve had some crazy propaganda trying to boost interest in this movie, its pathetic

really sucks they squandered keatons return to the role on this garbage. they could have made an amazing batman beyond movie - a REAL one not what they were trying to do with batgirl. but now this is it, hes done. at least well always have the 89 movie and returns

Yea, I can't believe they thought just having a few well-known people say it's the "best super-hero movie ever" would make people watch this movie.

They need to start learning ...make better movies that tell better stories. And stay true to the source material.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #94
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I have a feeling James Gunn will stay closer to the source material. My only concern with him is him forcing his sort-of wacky, out there humor in everything. I hope he can keep some of the serious tone people have liked in past DC movies.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:59 PM   #95
AC_808
Hercules

Agreed.

Forced humor or forced jokes is a movie killer. If they do that, they should do it sparingly ...and make it as natural as possible.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:31 AM   #96
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
This will totally be going down as one of the biggest flops in movie history. And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person - Ezra Miller. Hopefully this means his career is over.
Indiana Jones 5... hold my beer. Absolutely absurd budget. And the movie is not very good. The dial of destined to flop.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #97
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

I really liked the Flash movie. I like it even better reflecting back on it than I did on initial screening. The movie totally deserved a better fate, but, I really do think Super Hero fatigue doomed this as much as anything else. I’m exactly the target audience and even I felt that way while watching. The CGI was passable, but the Flash is always better when other heroes are on screen. Too much time of just the Flash to be a great movie but it was still pretty good.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:54 PM   #98
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Oh and that Blue Beetle movie looks terrible. Like, really, really bad.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:11 PM   #99
Saulutations
Fantastic Four

I enjoyed The Flash and consider it a nice way end to the DCEU.

Reflecting upon the DCEU as a whole, the films' successes, and lack of, remind me of their comic book counterparts. The DCEU multiverse, not just in terms of depiction but also application, parallels the same method that had to be used for comic books in the past. Both in terms of servicing a story, as well as creating a clean slate.

When you look at individual comic book series, comic book writers and artists borrow some elements from one another and disregard others. Similar to how Jeph Loeb viewed Batman: The Long Halloween as a continuation of Batman: Year One, but Frank Miller does not see B:TLH as an in-universe story for his continuity. Most comic book stories, up to a point, are eventually canonized through a major event/story, a la Crisis on Infinite Earths or Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

When that practice is applied to the DCEU, viewers just have to do mental gymnastics in terms of the movies' viewing order and think of them as their own series/timelines. Similar to how comic book runs take place. There are a lot of inconsistencies throughout the DCEU proper when viewed as a whole. When viewed as individual series/timelines, there isn't.

1st Series/Timeline by Zack Snyder:
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
Zack Snyder's Justice League

In the last Knightmare scene the Joker tells Batman, "I often wonder, how many alternate timelines do you destroy the world because... frankly, you don't have the cojones to die yourself." This makes a point that future Flash has been time traveling through multiple timelines, as first seen in BvS: DoJ(UE). All that time traveling has affected/changed multiple events in the DCEU's past and future. To me, those events and dialogue establish that there are different series/timelines within the DCEU films afoot.

2nd Series/Timeline by Patty Jenkins:
Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman 1984

3rd Series/Timeline by David Ayer, Cathy Yan, and James Gunn:
Suicide Squad
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
The Suicide Squad
(Peacemaker)

4th Series/Timeline by James Wan:
Aquaman
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

5th Series/Timeline by David F. Sandberg and Jaume Collet-Serra:
Shazam!
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Black Adam

Conclusion/Epilogue by Andy Muschietti:
The Flash
Reinforces the multiple timelines Flash has been creating since BvS: DoJ: UE and ZSJL. This film seems to work as an ending to all of the five previous timelines/series and the DCEU as a whole. It also celebrates DC's film history.

If Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom works as a direct sequel to Aquaman and does not overtly allude to anything in the upcoming DCU, it will set its placement next to Aquaman. James Wan, the director, stated that it's a standalone so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is.

WB did not have intention for the DCEU to be considered as multiple series/timelines upon its inception after MoS. I'm guessing that WB is not aware of how well the DCEU as a whole inadvertently parallels comic book eras, with multiple ongoing storylines, imploding on themselves and having to be reset to start anew. It's not a great business practice, but I consider it as a nice accident. Serendipity. This way of thinking of the DCEU as an analogy is not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me. Especially when considering that these are films based on comic books.

I didn't mind the DCEU and in hindsight really like what it accidentally represents, in my mind, and what it has accomplished.

As for the future of DC, I'm wishing James Gunn and DC fans the best of luck when it comes to the DCU.

Being a Batman fan, I'm glad that Matt Reeves gets to continue his own story arc and really looking forward to what he has in store next.

Here's a visual representation. Each DigiBook marks the beginning of a timeline/series and the standard releases that follow go along with the preceding DigiBook. I left a space for the AatLK standard release. The Flash will be placed after Black Adam since I'm treating The Flash as the conclusion for each series/timeline and DCEU as a whole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCEU.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	162978  
Saulutations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:31 PM   #100
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Great way of looking at it. You should be on the DC movie marketing payroll.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote