Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #61
Augen
Metal Men

I think one discussion in broader context is expectations regarding story and plot. I'm hearing people say "nothing happened" and the old "filler" comment with "everything was a set up".

There is no end in life. There are chapters and rises and falls, but you'll never get the concrete resolution you seek if you think in terms of finality. Most stories end because they have to find a point to get off and find a momentous event to do so (the big bad defeated by good) but beyond the scope of the author the characters would live on.

The MCU is unlike anything in scale witnessed in film and television because it keeps saying "And then?" much like how comics have operated for decades. Comics don't cease after major events, but those moments and characters stay with us even if they were one blip in a chain of stories.

As Manhatten said to Ozymandis, "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends".
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #62
Big Hulk
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I liked the finale a lot and like that a second season is happening. I also feel they did a 180 by showing THAT villain and setting him up nicely. If people aren't familiar with the comics though I don't think they'll have any idea who that person is or will become. Looking forward to what is to come.
Big Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #63
Big Hulk
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think one discussion in broader context is expectations regarding story and plot. I'm hearing people say "nothing happened" and the old "filler" comment with "everything was a set up".

There is no end in life. There are chapters and rises and falls, but you'll never get the concrete resolution you seek if you think in terms of finality. Most stories end because they have to find a point to get off and find a momentous event to do so (the big bad defeated by good) but beyond the scope of the author the characters would live on.

The MCU is unlike anything in scale witnessed in film and television because it keeps saying "And then?" much like how comics have operated for decades. Comics don't cease after major events, but those moments and characters stay with us even if they were one blip in a chain of stories.

As Manhatten said to Ozymandis, "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends".
Not sure how anyone could say nothing happened. It set up a huge/next level villain but again, if you don't know the comics I don't think it did a good job of showcasing what's to come.
Big Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #64
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

This should have been a 9 episode season. That's all I'm going to say.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #65
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:

Oh, for crying out loud, I was talking specifically about elements in the 3rd episode only. & I still stand by my statement that in that episode there were a few scenes that didn't seem fleshed out enough to become part of the canon of the show; they just seemed a bit too time-consuming. I completely see where your coming from though, each & every bit of show-time were pieces of an overall puzzle that, when completed, gave us this wonderful show. Like I shotgun scene, the odd, 1st class train on which no passenger seemed at all concerned about raining fireballs & the end of the world, the naps on that train, the barroom brawl, etc... I still appreciate that these were scenes that supposedly developed & explored the relationship between the 2 Lokis ... it still felt a bit like filler to me. Filler in my favorite Marvel show so far.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #66
Y3E
Gen 13

Geez, how long do we have to wait for season 2? A year?
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #67
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Oh, for crying out loud, I was talking specifically about elements in the 3rd episode only. & I still stand by my statement that in that episode there were a few scenes that didn't seem fleshed out enough to become part of the canon of the show; they just seemed a bit too time-consuming. I completely see where your coming from though, each & every bit of show-time were pieces of an overall puzzle that, when completed, gave us this wonderful show. Like I shotgun scene, the odd, 1st class train on which no passenger seemed at all concerned about raining fireballs & the end of the world, the naps on that train, the barroom brawl, etc... I still appreciate that these were scenes that supposedly developed & explored the relationship between the 2 Lokis ... it still felt a bit like filler to me. Filler in my favorite Marvel show so far.
I wasn't referring to you. Comments I've seen elsewhere quite a bit.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #68
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:

"Filler", they say? Pffft. Filthy casuals.

If this is the next bigbad, he requires more exposition than simply "purple alien wants magic stones to make a wish". A lot more moving parts here. Time spent fleshing things out leads to a more compelling villain. The big issue is, how much of this info gets retread in the movies? Not everyone will watch everything, and now that they're fracturing the audience between movies and TV, we'll see if they can pull it off successfully and satisfyingly for everyone.

If Disney+ was treated like the Extended Editions of LOTR, then they're probably on the right path. Don't know yet if that's how they're using it.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #69
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Loved the finale. Really sets up the entire next phase of the MCU.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #70
TheBishop
Justice League

Check out the explanation vid!

Wow ok so I just watched screen crush ending explanation vid and there is so much more going on than I thought! Its got me truly excited for KANG!

https://youtu.be/WuiEKn2iwK0
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote