Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #321
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
Honestly, if you are also noticing that on newer pieces, then there must be something environmental contributing to the deterioration.
Excessive radon gas, your statues are the canary in the coal mine, get outta there!
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:27 PM   #322
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Honestly, if you are also noticing that on newer pieces, then there must be something environmental contributing to the deterioration. Maybe do a live chat with one of the SS reps and see if they can maybe direct you to someone with a bit more knowledge of this.

I have quite a few statues and none have flaked. Even my Hot Toys with their faux leather clothing haven't cracked, like I have seen posted.

You don't want to spend thousands on a collection that's is falling apart quicker than necessary.
Thanks. I'll try to do that tomorrow. It's weird because it's only on some of my SS pieces. XM and Prime 1 look exactly the same as they did when I got them. And the SS pieces for example, their newest crouched Psylocke, finish on the skin wiped right off and the satin finish on her legs was peeling like crazy after having been left in the box since I got her. I had some Prime1 and XM pieces on display for years that I regularly dusted and they're perfect. Same with all the 1/10 Iron Studio pieces I had. Never had an issue with them either. Very strange how it's only some and not all. Anyhow. Thanks again!
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #323
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Excessive radon gas, your statues are the canary in the coal mine, get outta there!
thank you for the heads up.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:50 PM   #324
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
To answer this question, I think one of my oldest pieces is Hellboy PF from 2003? maybe 2002? it was displayed on top of a Detolf for several years and then when we moved it got put on it's own display pedestal. Recently boxed him up and he looks brand spanking new. I think some of my DC statues may pre-date that. no deterioration noticed.
Just saw this as well. Thank you again for taking the time to answer. If you have some from 2003 that still look brand new that makes me feel pretty good going forward. Happy for you that it's lasted so long.

After the huge investment in display cases, paying double or more on rarer sold out pieces, etc, really am only wanting a bit of piece of mind that they're finally safe now in their displays. Waited forever to get them and the point was to preserve my collection.

With what you and others have said I'm just going to assume the statues that I do have paint peeling on are from bad finishing or improper storage from prior owners and that the rest will be fine for the foreseeable future. Never had the intention to flip any of these and make a profit anyway so as long as any further degradation stops in its tracks I'll get over it and stop worrying.

Anyhow... Will update here once I find out ideal temperature and humidity from Sideshow as it may be helpful to others.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:19 AM   #325
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
Just saw this as well. Thank you again for taking the time to answer. If you have some from 2003 that still look brand new that makes me feel pretty good going forward. Happy for you that it's lasted so long.

After the huge investment in display cases, paying double or more on rarer sold out pieces, etc, really am only wanting a bit of piece of mind that they're finally safe now in their displays. Waited forever to get them and the point was to preserve my collection.

With what you and others have said I'm just going to assume the statues that I do have paint peeling on are from bad finishing or improper storage from prior owners and that the rest will be fine for the foreseeable future. Never had the intention to flip any of these and make a profit anyway so as long as any further degradation stops in its tracks I'll get over it and stop worrying.

Anyhow... Will update here once I find out ideal temperature and humidity from Sideshow as it may be helpful to others.
Absolutely, and definitely let us know what you find out. And Good luck. Next time share some pics, unless you did and I missed it.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:37 AM   #326
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
That said, how long can we reasonably expect the paint to last on these things? The price keeps going up and I'm debating where I want to go in terms of collecting. Will they all eventually peel even if they're in low temp, low humidity?
all we can do is do our best to provide a good environment for these to exist - no sunlight, cool to moderate temps, low humidity etc etc

that said all this stuff is chemicals mixed in large batches, from the polystone to the paint. all it takes is a bad reaction caused by any number of things for there to be an issue, might show immediately might take several years. i have stripped paint off statues, some comes off very easy some i have to let soak in acetone and scrub with a steel brush

peeling / cracking paint is not common nor should it be, more than likely there was an issue with the primer. the infamous og psylocke paint cracking was a widespread issue that i believe someone had determined that no primer was used. maybe this particular statue slipped through the cracks and was not primed or a portion of it was not primed
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 01:53 AM   #327
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
all we can do is do our best to provide a good environment for these to exist - no sunlight, cool to moderate temps, low humidity etc etc

that said all this stuff is chemicals mixed in large batches, from the polystone to the paint. all it takes is a bad reaction caused by any number of things for there to be an issue, might show immediately might take several years. i have stripped paint off statues, some comes off very easy some i have to let soak in acetone and scrub with a steel brush

peeling / cracking paint is not common nor should it be, more than likely there was an issue with the primer. the infamous og psylocke paint cracking was a widespread issue that i believe someone had determined that no primer was used. maybe this particular statue slipped through the cracks and was not primed or a portion of it was not primed
Thank you for the additional info. After you said chemical reaction it made me think to take a black light to them and sure enough it lights up around the problem areas on one off them, but that one was actually used. It did not show anything on any new or other used so who knows. Is what it is at this point and that's honestly why we all get a bit stressed buying secondhand. You have no idea how truthful people are being about condition unless you personally know them.

Knowing that low humidity is ideal I'm going to keep my current setup and just the temperature a bit since humidity is already very low. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2024, 02:57 AM   #328
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Absolutely, and definitely let us know what you find out. And Good luck. Next time share some pics, unless you did and I missed it.
I'll for sure let you know what they say. Sounds like low humidity will be ideal as well which is where I'm at already.

I'll get some more pics for you next week. One I have already started refinishing a few weeks back and it's still in plastic. I was b----ing up a storm about it and removed most of my posts.

Edited. Not actually peeling on one. I feel dumb. It was indeed paint over spray.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:25 AM   #329
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Removed
Old 03-11-2024, 10:39 AM   #330
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
I'll for sure let you know what they say. Sounds like low humidity will be ideal as well which is where I'm at already.

I'll get some more pics for you next week. One I have already started refinishing a few weeks back and it's still in plastic. I was b----ing up a storm about it and removed most of my posts.

Edited. Not actually peeling on one. I feel dumb. It was indeed paint over spray.
Is that Baroness? might also be an attempt at distressing the leather
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote