Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-31-2022, 12:38 AM   #11
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
they really glossed over that much too quickly for me.
They haven't glossed over it so much as they really haven't even addressed it...yet.

I really want to wait, and give them credit for a thought-out storyline, but, ya know...LOST memories.

And yeah, I know what ya mean about the naming. I'm not taking it too literal. That's why I was conflating the Mind Flayer and Tharizdun. They may have used the Mind Flayer name and Tharizdun's attributes...maybe.

Just spitballing.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:44 AM   #12
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

As for the Russian thing, it really feels inconsequential. Like they added it simply for Hopper to kick Russian ass in season 3. Like it was nothing more than adding the 'Russian paranoia' of the 80s to the show.

And that's the biggest problem with the show - trying too hard to keep certain characters involved, when it doesn't benefit the overall story. They're too beholden to their actors. Don't use them, or kill them off, geez. It's like what I was saying about Murray in season 3. Seemed more forced into the story, but found his participation more organic in season 4.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:48 AM   #13
MrYac
Hercules

as much as the Russia stuff will bug me, i am happy they finally gave an answer to how the hell Will used those lights in season one
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #14
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
As for the Russian thing, it really feels inconsequential. Like they added it simply for Hopper to kick Russian ass in season 3. Like it was nothing more than adding the 'Russian paranoia' of the 80s to the show.

And that's the biggest problem with the show - trying too hard to keep certain characters involved, when it doesn't benefit the overall story. They're too beholden to their actors. Don't use them, or kill them off, geez. It's like what I was saying about Murray in season 3. Seemed more forced into the story, but found his participation more organic in season 4.
I love Hopper but killing him off at the end of Season 3 (and having his letter to Eleven) was the perfect culmination for the character.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #15
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Without having to go back into previous seasons, the lab was in Hawkins Indiana and that?s where Brenner did all the testing on 001 through 011+. Where was the location that the Russians were trying to breakthrough or create the gate?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:50 PM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

They had their own gate under the mall for season 3, which was also in Hawkins. But I’ve always assumed they had one on their side in Russia as well. They never really explained the plan so I just always assumed they wanted the gate so they could invade the US through the Upside Down
Old 05-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #17
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Without having to go back into previous seasons, the lab was in Hawkins Indiana and that?s where Brenner did all the testing on 001 through 011+. Where was the location that the Russians were trying to breakthrough or create the gate?
The Russians created their energy ray devices called "Keys", and tried them unsuccessfully in multiple places. They realized that to be truly successful, the best location to open a gate would be where one had already opened - in Hawkins. That's why they infiltrated America, and bought the mall property. The answer to your question is - underneath Starcourt Mall.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #18
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
They had their own gate under the mall for season 3, which was also in Hawkins. But I?ve always assumed they had one on their side in Russia as well. They never really explained the plan so I just always assumed they wanted the gate so they could invade the US through the Upside Down
The Russian scientist explained it a little, regarding failed gate attempts.

I think it just parallels the arms race of the 80s. They want to weaponize the Upside Down, Demogorgons, any other creatures, etc.

I like your idea though about going thru a portal to the Upside Down in Russia and coming out one in the US. Pretty cool.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #19
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Something about the Upside Down doesn't add up though...

Wasn't it toxic before? Didn't Will start to get sick from being there? In season 2, the toxicity was invading Hawkins... Now it's like there's no mention of it.

LOST problems again...
Old 05-31-2022, 08:33 PM   #20
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Something about the Upside Down doesn't add up though...

Wasn't it toxic before? Didn't Will start to get sick from being there? In season 2, the toxicity was invading Hawkins... Now it's like there's no mention of it.

LOST problems again...
Will spent an entire season there and aside from being incredibly boring he hasn't seemed to have any health issues. i made the joke about them wearing Hazmat suits originally and Hopper's agent orange story was foreshadowing of all the kids having mutant upside down babies because of their exposure.