Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 07-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #11
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Boston_83 View Post
Well that was 20 years ago!
was it really? I didn't realize it's been so long, when I started collecting statues, it was around 11 years ago and their first version was super cheap still. I do find it interesting that Weta now has a short open order period. Will at least keep the ES down.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:34 AM   #12
Featherfootdave
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Love this - ordered!
Featherfootdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #13
Shoo
The Enchantress

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #14
Strychnine
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I like that it's not as skinny looking as the Prime 1 version, and the sculpted cloak is much more fitting than fabric imo. I can also appreciate the simpler base that doesn't have a bunch of skulls and whatnot on it.
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #15
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Some massive positives here:

1. Armor color. It’s the first one I’ve seen that’s accurate. Prime 1’s suffers the same fate as the past ones…. Having a more silver armor, which is inaccurate. This paint apps on this proto is straight fire (no pun intended). I don’t know how the production pieces can match this proto … but if they can , it’s just a magnificent paint app.
2. Simplicity. Just flows together well. Minimal base… but gives the impressions of lava rock and scorched earth. I don’t normally like LED lights… but this one seems to be highlighting it without overwhelming. Giving the orange hues where needed to get the point across.
3. Sculpted Cape. Nothing else needs to be said.

Negative:

1. Price. Hard to stomach for this size.
2. The size. I know they are trying to keep all their line in scale with each other … but this piece is just too damn small. 26” (66cm) in height is just…. Too small for this superb looking piece. If they could have just gotten this to a Prime 1 1/3 scale size (~32” height) it would have been a day 0 PO. Comparing this to my other 1/3 pieces, he’ll be a shrimp.

Probably the best Sauron statue out there ( even above Prime 1), but the size is what’s really holding me back.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
Bottled_Water
Birdman

Love the piece, though I'm not sure about Weta. I ordered Gandalf and he came cracked. The second one I ordered cane with a noticable lean. The paint apps were good but for the price and the issues I've already had I'm hesitant about spending even more money on this.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottled_Water View Post
Love the piece, though I'm not sure about Weta. I ordered Gandalf and he came cracked. The second one I ordered cane with a noticable lean. The paint apps were good but for the price and the issues I've already had I'm hesitant about spending even more money on this.
Oh man sorry to hear that. My Gandalf came in flawless. I’m going to order the museum Nazgul to go with him. They are making slightly smaller scaled pvc statue too now at a much lower price point. They have a Lurtz coming out that looks really good.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
Arkenglaone
Doh!

Same thing. I find this really magnificent Sauron, unlike that one of P1 (the dimensions of the neck, the pauldrons, the "stick" body ...). But if I order this statue, I will not go through Weta directly. The last time I ordered from them, I never received my vinyl figures (Bilbo limited + other hobbits) and the after-sales service was satisfied with a "We're sorry, your package has been lost. Have a nice day and see you soon for more orders!".

So yes, this Sauron is fantastic (although considering the high price, the paint job on the One Ring should have been perfect). Maybe I would take it. No, I won't buy it from the Weta website.

+ I hope the LEDs will look more like lava / magma color rather than just red.
Arkenglaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #19
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkenglaone View Post
Same thing. I find this really magnificent Sauron, unlike that one of P1 (the dimensions of the neck, the pauldrons, the "stick" body ...). But if I order this statue, I will not go through Weta directly. The last time I ordered from them, I never received my vinyl figures (Bilbo limited + other hobbits) and the after-sales service was satisfied with a "We're sorry, your package has been lost. Have a nice day and see you soon for more orders!".

So yes, this Sauron is fantastic (although considering the high price, the paint job on the One Ring should have been perfect). Maybe I would take it. No, I won't buy it from the Weta website.

+ I hope the LEDs will look more like lava / magma color rather than just red.
That's the first time I've heard of that happening. I've been collecting Weta since 2002 when they were partnered with Sideshow, then from 2010 when they went it alone, and I've only had to get two replacements.
Their customer service is top level, and if you order direct you are guaranteed a replacement if you need one. Not sure you would do through a retailer if it's a limited edition.
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #20
xb24
Sinister Six

How do the recent Weta statues production compare to the prototype? Darkseid will be my first Weta piece and I'm thinking of getting Sauron. Love the intricate paint on this I'm just not sure how close they can match in the final product.
xb24 is offline   Reply With Quote