Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > West Side WAR Room

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #6421
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Hey Tony, did that new washer help with your airbrush?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #6422
twinzs
anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickwinzs View Post
Hey Tony, did that new washer help with your airbrush?
I sill haven't tried it out yet. probably today though hoping I'm not called into work again
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #6423
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Posted this in the artists section, but as some of you are West Coast (thus, probably familiar with Michael's), I thought I'd toss it in here also. Suggestions would be great.

I usually go to a local custom framing shop (Beard's Framing), who has good deals more often than not, but it's custom framing, and they cater to your every whim, so it gets pretty costly (in the $200-$300 range, at least). Is this "the normal" price most of you pay for your art? Don't get me wrong.. for pages or commissions that I bought for twice the amount of the frame (if the frame was, say, $300), a frame of some significant cost would be more than warranted. You don't want a gorgeous piece of art in some $20 balsa wood deal from your local Mom & Pop's corner store.

Also, is Michael's (a crafts store that I believe is mostly located on the West Coast) a good place to go for frames? They're reasonably affordable and have quality framing, right? I'd assume so, anyways, as they have a huge section just for framing/matting, and a staff there that's dedicated just to help clients find what they're looking for. Obviously they don't have the same degree of frames/mattes that a framing store would have, but they have a decent selection for a decent price, correct? (I guess this is basically aimed at those who are familiar with Michael's).

I usually custom frame my stuff, but I'm so far behind on framing that I'm considering Michael's.. haha. Thoughts on their quality? It'd be the first time I've used them.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #6424
twinzs
anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Posted this in the artists section, but as some of you are West Coast (thus, probably familiar with Michael's), I thought I'd toss it in here also. Suggestions would be great.

I usually go to a local custom framing shop (Beard's Framing), who has good deals more often than not, but it's custom framing, and they cater to your every whim, so it gets pretty costly (in the $200-$300 range, at least). Is this "the normal" price most of you pay for your art? Don't get me wrong.. for pages or commissions that I bought for twice the amount of the frame (if it was, say, $200), a frame of some significant cost would be more than warranted. You don't want a gorgeous piece of art in some $20 balsa wood deal from your local Mom & Pop's corner store.

Also, is Michael's (a crafts store that I believe is mostly located on the West Coast, a good place to go for frames? They're reasonably affordable and have quality framing, right? I'd assume so, anyways, as they have a huge section just for framing/matting, and a staff there that's dedicated just to help clients find what they're looking for. Obviously they don't have the same degree of frames/mattes that a framing store would have, but they have a decent selection for a decent price, correct? (I guess this is basically aimed at those who are familiar with Michael's).

I usually custom frame my stuff, but I'm so far behind on framing that I'm considering Michael's.. haha. Thoughts on their quality? It'd be the first time I've used them.

Thanks.
I have never used either of them because IMO the price is ridiculous. If you watch your Sunday paper you can find Micheal's adds that have 50% off their framing. which in my case pushed it down to almost 300. A friend of mine worked there and says their framing is pretty good. There was one last week if I can find it I'll let you know
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #6425
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post

I usually go to a local custom framing shop (Beard's Framing), who has good deals more often than not, but it's custom framing, and they cater to your every whim, so it gets pretty costly (in the $200-$300 range, at least). Is this "the normal" price most of you pay for your art? Don't get me wrong.. for pages or commissions that I bought for twice the amount of the frame (if it was, say, $200), a frame of some significant cost would be more than warranted. You don't want a gorgeous piece of art in some $20 balsa wood deal from your local Mom & Pop's corner store.

Also, is Michael's (a crafts store that I believe is mostly located on the West Coast, a good place to go for frames? They're reasonably affordable and have quality framing, right? I'd assume so, anyways, as they have a huge section just for framing/matting, and a staff there that's dedicated just to help clients find what they're looking for. Obviously they don't have the same degree of frames/mattes that a framing store would have, but they have a decent selection for a decent price, correct? (I guess this is basically aimed at those who are familiar with Michael's).

Thanks.
I've only used Michael's and haven't had a problem. I've had them do a Giger piece and a couple other "sins" pieces I got. They made my mat for the sins pieces white, when I asked them to be black, with the edges white, like they did with my Giger piece to make it look like there is 2 mats instead of one, but when I went to pick them up, the mat was white. I was kinda pissed at first, but when I went to hang them up, they actually looked good on each side of my Giger piece, actually helped accent it a little. I only went during the 50% off sales though, because if I didn't framing my Giger poster would have been almost $400!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #6426
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

I use a place here in town that gives me a great deal on framing for my 11x17 in pieces with mats and frames I only pay about 65 each, I know that Micheals can't do the same for me with all the extras I get.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #6427
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Michael's framed most of the Civil War art I have in the house..Probably 20 of the 30+...It must be good or I wouldn't keep going back...
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #6428
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Naw thats not it Nuff, your and old crumdgeon like myself and your to old to change!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #6429
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickwinzs View Post
Naw thats not it Nuff, your and old crumdgeon like myself and your to old to change!!!
Well there's that...and they are close...
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #6430
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

HAHHA!!! I knew I wasn't alone!