Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Well I have been management for 15 years. I don't beleive it was voicing an opinion that got me fired. With Healthcare, they were going into the final stages of launching Healthy Eating Guideline. The 2 people that were responsible for the project would had no job once this ended. They have been with HC for years. Though they never said it up front, I beleive I was expendable because I was the person that probably didn't fit in with what their ideal manager is. How long would I have stayed might had been short. Ideally I would like to transfer out of healthcare but that never happened.

What amazes me was I was doing two manager position to save the compamy money and that was overlooked. They replaced me with 2 people.

I am not mad at my former employer or how I was treated. I'm just disappointed how this came about. In my field, communication is the key to running a successful business. Without that, business falters and starts losing money. It is what it is.

You bring up a couple important points:

1) "I believe I was expendable because I was the person that probably didn't fit in with what their ideal manager is."

This might be one of those things where you might never know for sure all the reasons why you were let go. Any further preoccupied thought invested into ascertaining the injustice behind your firing will likely result in inviting even further stress and anxiety. Perhaps you can try moving forward with the idea that it simply wasn't a good fit. It happens. In other words, you were likely doing each other a long overdue favor by going your separate ways. You now have an opportunity to start a new chapter in your life on your own terms. Embrace it.

2) "What amazes me was I was doing two manager positions to save the company money and that was overlooked. They replaced me with 2 people."

Did the company ask you to do that? It seems like you might feel entitled to a reward or greater recognition for having gone that extra mile. Maybe others picked up on that vibe. Who knows?

If a company is prepared to pay two salaries to replace your one salary, either they're incompetent or they believe they had a good reason for taking the financial hit or those two people do more than you think. Again, this might fall under the "you may never know for sure why" umbrella. It appears you'd like some kind of closure on this which would simultaneously blunt the blow of feeling discarded and unappreciated, which is completely understandable. Perhaps there may also be some difference of opinion with regards to how your work ethic and contributions to the company were being perceived and evaluated by others. It's possible. The hardest part of any break-up is leaving with the feeling that you were misunderstood or treated unfairly or perceived in an unfavorable light. Sadly, such is life sometimes. We can't always control for that. The hope is that you can learn something about yourself from that less than favorable experience and make sure the next relationship isn't set up in such a way where it can potentially harm you in the same way, which basically means you may need to behave a bit differently the next time around.

So what's next? Take a break from playing the victim, even if you may actually be a victim. It's not a badge of honor. Get out of the house. Change the scenery. Do a few interviews. Try not to allow what you might suspect your former managers see you as define you. And, most importantly, never forget that the food source of self-esteem and confidence is achievement. If you go out there and accomplish something, you'll feel better about yourself. Take control of your life. Don't wait for things to happen. You can do it.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
Underdog07
Hercules

I will offer a different opinion than others

Keep interviewing and don't settle for a job you don't want or with much much less pay unless and until you absolutely need to. You won't be happy and that likely will show in performance even if you don't realize it
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
Underdog07
Hercules

As for depression. - it doesn't have to set in ever. Stay on top of things. Stay busy. Getting unemployment is not something to be ashamed of. While you were working you paid into the system - now that you may need to use the system, do so. That is what it is there for.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Nidgit is as spot on as your Aunt. I would not pass on any opportunity - you may be surprised to see where it leads - even if it doesn't pay as much as you'd like to make at first
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

Keep interviewing and don't settle for a job you don't want or with much much less pay unless and until you absolutely need to. You won't be happy and that likely will show in performance even if you don't realize it
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
You bring up a couple important points:

1) "I believe I was expendable because I was the person that probably didn't fit in with what their ideal manager is."

This might be one of those things where you might never know for sure all the reasons why you were let go. Any further preoccupied thought invested into ascertaining the injustice behind your firing will likely result in inviting even further stress and anxiety. Perhaps you can try moving forward with the idea that it simply wasn't a good fit. It happens. In other words, you were likely doing each other a long overdue favor by going your separate ways. You now have an opportunity to start a new chapter in your life on your own terms. Embrace it.

2) "What amazes me was I was doing two manager positions to save the company money and that was overlooked. They replaced me with 2 people."

Did the company ask you to do that? It seems like you might feel entitled to a reward or greater recognition for having gone that extra mile. Maybe others picked up on that vibe. Who knows?

If a company is prepared to pay two salaries to replace your one salary, either they're incompetent or they believe they had a good reason for taking the financial hit or those two people do more than you think. Again, this might fall under the "you may never know for sure why" umbrella. It appears you'd like some kind of closure on this which would simultaneously blunt the blow of feeling discarded and unappreciated, which is completely understandable. Perhaps there may also be some difference of opinion with regards to how your work ethic and contributions to the company were being perceived and evaluated by others. It's possible. The hardest part of any break-up is leaving with the feeling that you were misunderstood or treated unfairly or perceived in an unfavorable light. Sadly, such is life sometimes. We can't always control for that. The hope is that you can learn something about yourself from that less than favorable experience and make sure the next relationship isn't set up in such a way where it can potentially harm you in the same way, which basically means you may need to behave a bit differently the next time around.

So what's next? Take a break from playing the victim, even if you may actually be a victim. It's not a badge of honor. Get out of the house. Change the scenery. Do a few interviews. Try not to allow what you might suspect your former managers see you as define you. And, most importantly, never forget that the food source of self-esteem and confidence is achievement. If you go out there and accomplish something, you'll feel better about yourself. Take control of your life. Don't wait for things to happen. You can do it.
I'm not saying I am a victim. Healthcare is a different beast compared to the other departments I worked for in the same company. They don't like changes or willing to take an outside approach to the business that can grow.

I did more then I should had in a unionized environment. I challenged myself to do more then what my portfolio is. I am one of those people that value growth and progression more then being recognized for the job put forward. Their is no harder working individual then me and that's what makes me different then the rest of the manager team. The District Managers was never there to determine to letting me go. IMHO, they did not want to lose those 2 people because they have been there for years.

I did notice that they rather lose money or waste money then taking other routes to save money. Again this thread is not about pity or sympathy. It's a general thread that I find challenges to land a job or get offered at a significantly less salary. It's also a reflection that I notice a change in me over the past few months.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:

Quote:
As for depression. - it doesn't have to set in ever. Stay on top of things. Stay busy. Getting unemployment is not something to be ashamed of. While you were working you paid into the system - now that you may need to use the system, do so. That is what it is there for.
Good advise. I was always taught to work for your money rather then getting it for free. I'm not saying EI is a bad thing but I rather get the money the old fashion way and through work ethic and hard work.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Good advise. I was always taught to work for your money rather then getting it for free. I'm not saying EI is a bad thing but I rather get the money the old fashion way and through work ethic and hard work.
Totally understand. I went on disability through private insurance and through government this past year. I had similar thoughts but the fact that I paid into the pool for years and paid for the insurance helped ease that feeling.

Plus, if you go on it, you will be required to be actively looking for a job. That makes it a different vehicle than just a hand out.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I feel your pain. I was "cut loose" from my dream job, was at my firm for 4 years and moved my family for this position, due to a 3-way merger. New team came in and many of us went out. It was sudden, unexpected and unfair. But it happened.

I'm doing odd work to keep busy while looking for my next thing. But I agree with Underdog if you can swing it. Don't just take any job. Take some time to find something that excites you and where you'll be happy. Of course, it all depends on your financial situation and how much time you can afford. I've been working over 30 years, most of that in management, and I'm grateful while also nervous, about my situation.

As for depression, it's natural to have highs and lows. My experience is that keeping busy helps, but the lows can come even when busy, at least in my case. Accept that it's part of the process, it's okay, and the lows can be low without being actual depression. Talk to family and friends. It really does help.

I also agree with the point about having paid into UI, and that it forces you to keep looking to receive it, so it's not really a handout at all.

All the best to you

Last edited by wktf; 06-07-2015 at 06:30 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Hey there, I've been dealing with depression for nearly 2 decades now. The main thing about depression is that it makes you lose all motivation to do anything. When mine is at its worst, I'll spend all day in bed because I don't even have the energy to move.

While it's possible to get depression from something as soul shattering as this, it's also entirely possible that it won't hit you at all. Depression is getting more common nowadays, but's not always inevitable. I hope for your sake that you don't get it. I have been fighting this nearly my entire life, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Like others have said, the most important thing is to stay busy. If you keep to yourself and stay inside all day, you'll just be miserable. Make plans, try to connect with old friends, just do anything to make sure you're getting the most out of life. I know things are difficult right now, but trust me when I say that things will improve.

Good luck, and please feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

just my 2 cents

get a job you love. i LOVE my job. whether i work 5 days a week or 7 i don't care its not work for me. i figured i'm not going to win lottery and i'm not bill gates to know how to make multi millionaire investments so i need a job i love to do until i retire. i always say to people don't waste your time and life, if you know you got to work you better damn sure love it. i set my own hours, days i work and government pays all my expenses on my job cant beat that. not too many people i know can go to a top restaurant rack up a 300.00 bill and have the government pay for it. now i need to find a way for them to pay for my statues.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote