Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #341
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
I think imo he red dino works out great. It compliments the statue otherwise the raptor becomes kind of invisible on the display. Sure it looks more real but in comics red raptors run wild everywhere. Glad I bought this one. I'm going to have to add this awesome sculptor to my best of the best list. I really hope SS keeps these guys otherwise I would buy so little from them if these guys leave. These guys are one of the main reason I love SS statues. There are other great sculptors. But to me these guys stand out with. Everything they do sends a huge presence to the industry. GG will have a huge lost if they lose harbottle.

Steve Schumacher
Mark newman
Tim miller
Will harbottle
I love your list, CBG. I've admired so many of Harbottle's statues without knowing who he was. The Sucker Punch girls, Honey Trap line, Walking Dead, etc. The guy is ridiculously talented.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #342
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

There were a few red raptors in the comics. Just sayin'.

Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #343
Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Nowhere close so let's not make the comparison and force me to be placed on blood pressure meds!

Rogue Gate was a dark time, especially for us who were fond of the proto.

No doubt a lot of people were turned off by the raptor color, and I do prefer the original. In person though it's not a jarring look. Maybe she hunted down the elusive Red Raptor of the jungle?

My biggest gripe is the difficulty putting it together! My first GG statue and I had to enlist the aid of two TV dinner tables to precariously screw in place.
I can relate, gomur. I had a similar experience with their ScarJo Black Widow piece. I'm not a fan of their screw base design.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #344
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
I love your list, CBG. I've admired so many of Harbottle's statues without knowing who he was. The Sucker Punch girls, Honey Trap line, Walking Dead, etc. The guy is ridiculously talented.
Oh wow harbottle did all the so and honey trap too??? Oh wow! Never even knew this. Those are like the most detail sculpts I've seen. harbottle you rock! Keep making them I will keep buying them from you. Wow still amazed he did all those.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #345
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
There were a few red raptors in the comics. Just sayin'.

Lol...... I thought the red dino was made up but after seeing all the above pics...... No comment. GG great job and thanks for posting the red dino pics! Haha look at all those red Dino everywhere..... Wow..... Oh shanna looks sexy in those too
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #346
Valkyrie

Quote:
Oh wow harbottle did all the so and honey trap too??? Oh wow! Never even knew this. Those are like the most detail sculpts I've seen. harbottle you rock! Keep making them I will keep buying them from you. Wow still amazed he did all those.
CBG, check this link out. Harbottle shared this on the new Red Sonja thread around the time SDCC was happening a few weeks ago.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/harbottle

I have the ScarJo Black Widow and the Catwoman on motorcycle pieces. Never even knew he sculpted those.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #347
Valkyrie

Quote:
Lol...... I thought the red dino was made up but after seeing all the above pics...... No comment. GG great job and thanks for posting the red dino pics! Haha look at all those red Dino everywhere..... Wow..... Oh shanna looks sexy in those too
I think quite a few people hating on the red raptor are probably unfamiliar with the source material. This is also why Marvel likely had GG change it to red to begin with.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #348
grphyx1
Kingpin

As I said who knows maybe raptors were red back then, I have no idea.

And they also changed her bikini top to match those scandalous covers Which is funny to think they approved the covers of her getting eaten but they then painted under her top? I don't want anybody getting worked up over my silly observations, I'm just at work and passing time between projects. I have the SP Girls and Artemisia so I'm a GG lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
I think quite a few people hating on the red raptor are probably unfamiliar with the source material. This is also why Marvel likely had GG change it to red to begin with.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #349
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post

And they also changed her bikini top to match those scandalous covers Which is funny to think they approved the covers of her getting eaten but they then painted under her top? I don't want anybody getting worked up over my silly observations, I'm just at work and passing time between projects. I have the SP Girls and Artemisia so I'm a GG lover.
The Shanna mini-series came out in 2005, and Disney bought Marvel in 2009. I wonder if the Mouse House would've even approved the Frank Cho illustrated gawk fest, let alone the covers.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #350
Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post

My comments weren't aimed at you specifically. Just my general observation on comments I've read about the color change in a few places. It gets to be like beating a dead horse after a while.
It's OK to prefer the original brown color, but some never seem to acknowledge the fact that red raptors did exist in the source material.

This gives me the impression that some are unfamiliar with the comics and truly believe GG just pulled the red re-color out of their butts.

Quote:
The Shanna mini-series came out in 2005, and Disney bought Marvel in 2009. I wonder if the Mouse House would've even green lit the Frank Cho illustrated gawk fest, let alone the covers.
You are correct.

My opinion is if Disney was running things in 2005, they would have probably kept the blood and gore in but covered her "assets" up more. Typical "violence is ok, but sex is not" mentality in America.

But that's another discussion.