Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #341
Augen
Metal Men

I understand that hesitation and every collector is entitled to buy or not buy based on their personal criteria.

For me, the joy in these pieces comes from having them, like a personal art gallery of pieces I want.

It isn't an investment I ever expect to recoup. If five or ten years from now I wake up and say "I'm done". I'll likely sell all my pieces off at a loss and the total expense will be the value they brought me personally.

If someone looks at it differently, I cannot argue and understand their position.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #342
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Had plenty of latex masks deteriorate not in heat or sun. Different material I know but still similar.

Just 3K for something with an already limited lifespan. Lifespan estimates don't always tell the story either. Just like LED bulbs that are rated for 22 years but the fine print states at only 1/2 their output and 70% after a few years. I know different product but will it look the same for 5 years, a little different after that? Who knows.

Then there's the risk of compromised production. How well was it produced according to material standards, etc and how long until QC issues would begin to show. Polystone/resin is very durable but even those items have enough problems.

Have to look at the resale potential. If in 10 years it doesn't look quite as sharp or if several are known to degrade from household environment factors even if my personal copy hasn't how does that affect someone else's willingness to risk buying one.

And absolutely no recourse whatever happens. Not like it's repairable even at my expense.
But this is it you can’t base your opinion on a completely different material (just because it flexes doesn’t mean it’s even similar). Like I’ve said in other threads show me one case of a decent quality silicone statue/bust degrading (not latex or foam latex but silicone). I’ve had cinemaquette’s since they were released that are absolutely fine in fact the one I have left has been in my attic for the last few years! Exposed to very hot and cold temperatures and when it was on display it was out in the open not inside a case and it it still looks exactly the same as when I bought it.
I mean if you don’t trust the material that’s completely fine and maybe silicone busts/statues aren’t for you but there’s no point potentially putting others off especially with unsubstantiated potential issues.
There’s no point worrying about what MIGHT happen (and that goes for pretty much anything) just enjoy it for what it is. In 20 years time it’s more likely the statue market will have collapsed and you’re entire collection (regardless of material) is worth next to nothing anyway!
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #343
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I understand that hesitation and every collector is entitled to buy or not buy based on their personal criteria.

For me, the joy in these pieces comes from having them, like a personal art gallery of pieces I want.

It isn't an investment I ever expect to recoup. If five or ten years from now I wake up and say "I'm done". I'll likely sell all my pieces off at a loss and the total expense will be the value they brought me personally.

If someone looks at it differently, I cannot argue and understand their position.
Agreed!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #344
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
But this is it you can’t base your opinion on a completely different material (just because it flexes doesn’t mean it’s even similar). Like I’ve said in other threads show me one case of a decent quality silicone statue/bust degrading (not latex or foam latex but silicone). I’ve had cinemaquette’s since they were released that are absolutely fine in fact the one I have left has been in my attic for the last few years! Exposed to very hot and cold temperatures and when it was on display it was out in the open not inside a case and it it still looks exactly the same as when I bought it.
I mean if you don’t trust the material that’s completely fine and maybe silicone busts/statues aren’t for you but there’s no point potentially putting others off especially with unsubstantiated potential issues.
There’s no point worrying about what MIGHT happen (and that goes for pretty much anything) just enjoy it for what it is. In 20 years time it’s more likely the statue market will have collapsed and you’re entire collection (regardless of material) is worth next to nothing anyway!
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #345
qz33
Rescue

That is largely my view but a single piece for 3K requires some consideration.

It's definitely not about profit or even recouping an entirety but the retention of value both in the eyes of others and myself.
You get enough of this stuff and you learn to look at pieces individually AND as a component to your entire collection.
You can write off a few of these but getting into 10s of thousands and you naturally give an eye to future considerations.

Good analogy is buying a car. You know it's money down the drain but you factor in longevity and reliability, potential for: resale, problems, change of mind, etc. A collection is the same way it's just comprised of individual pieces for the totality.

What if I get it, adore it, and always want it but in 5 years am dissatisfied with the changes to it's appearances?
What if I decide I don't like it much but am stuck in the same circumstances.
What new might come along that I think man I'd rather have that now lemme see what I can get for some of what I have.
From what I've read there's no chance in 3 years it would turn to goo but what if it did? Would I be cool? I would not.

In the beginning this isn't a hobby, just shopping. Unless you have unlimited funds and homes after 3-5 years you realize where the hobby part comes in.
Never a good idea to bet against yourself.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #346
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
I get it nothing lasts forever.
Not trying to put anyone off or change any minds here just my thoughts in a discussion. No criticism of the piece or company in what I am talking about.
Expressing concerns I have does not imply anyone need follow or think like me, I'm certainly not recommending anyone do.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #347
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I get it nothing lasts forever.
Not trying to put anyone off or change any minds here just my thoughts in a discussion. No criticism of the piece or company in what I am talking about.
Expressing concerns I have does not imply anyone need follow or think like me, I'm certainly not recommending anyone do.
But you sow the seeds of doubt intentionally or not. I'm not saying don't state your concerns but multiple times it's been said it's a stable, quality material not just by the manufacturers but by people that own similar pieces yet still people worry it'll turn into some shrivelled lump after a couple of years unless it's kept in a vacuum sealed chamber in the dark when that's simply not the case, as evidenced by owners of old silicone pieces. Again show me evidence of any pieces that have been negatively effected over time? All those old cm's should be ruined by now surely?
I suppose I just don't get why people are inventing issues for these pieces?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #348
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
But you sow the seeds of doubt intentionally or not. I'm not saying don't state your concerns but multiple times it's been said it's a stable, quality material not just by the manufacturers but by people that own similar pieces yet still people worry it'll turn into some shrivelled lump after a couple of years unless it's kept in a vacuum sealed chamber in the dark when that's simply not the case, as evidenced by owners of old silicone pieces. Again show me evidence of any pieces that have been negatively effected over time? All those old cm's should be ruined by now surely?
I suppose I just don't get why people are inventing issues for these pieces?
It's up to each individual to have the mental fortitude for their own critical thinking.

A large use of silicone (bust, lifesize face sized) is simply an unknown. It simply is not as tried and true as traditional resins and it's limited lifespan more established. Discussion has been made by both those interested and the company with estimates usually ranging from 20-30 years or much more. Most product literature supports the same estimates and care requirements. I also know that silicone molds degrade with time.
It remains to be seen how this production and these ancillary materials will factor into it's durability or even it's perception of durability which yes even this very conversation can influence. Though I do believe this is being produced by Toynami which bolsters confidence by a good bit?

Personally, when deciding if to spend 3K on a product , yolo is not at the forefront of my considerations. Again we all know nothing lasts forever but we collectors all very much operate under a certain amount of intrinsic fallacy that our lifestyle, pieces, and appreciation of them, will continue indefinitely. Nor do I intend to disregard consideration of potential factors simply because they are uncertain or are yet to have occurred.

As someone who works hard to make their own decisions I appreciate both sides of any insight others may have like pdenham's below as well your own rebuttals to my stated concerns.
If Queen misses out on sales or less silicone items are produced because someone sees my posts and passes due to over caution, again then so be it, the risk belongs to these companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
How old are the early Cinemaquettes?
I think some are around a decade now, if not older.

How is the silicone, and rooted hair, on those holding up?

A more immediate concern for me is how well engineered this is.

I love the art design of the base, but I question wether the connection point to the bust itself can support all that weight as it's only half an arch, and the center of gravity looks to be closer to the open end.

Also, if that blade or the arm holding it, starts to droop, it's gonna be slicing down on the silicone.

Time will tell, I guess.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #349
French Cancan
Deadman

Of course, in the same way that we can have bad polystones, there can be bad silicones, if the manufacturing process is screwed up. Apparently, the silicone used is platinum silicone, presented as the best, and the most expensive to manufacture. Very resistant to oxidation, hydrolysis, bacteria, mold, temperature changes, you'll still have to avoid to expose it in your garden next to your ceramic turtles, and to go tanning with it in your sun-tanning device. Very resistant does not mean immortal.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #350
WhistlingTime
Birdman

Wow, this thing looks mighty impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I do love the look with the arm and blade, but check out how much real estate is eaten up behind the bust with it. The arm/blade attached makes this a centerpiece, not something that will go up against the wall.

Sans arm/blade may not be as ideal, but placement will be easier. And it does look more like a classic bust without them.
I had exactly the same thoughts. I don’t know if it would help but maybe you could angle it a bit so the sword is more parallel to the wall?
It is good to see you have the armless option too, which still looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’ve got a feeling that if you don’t put the piece in a nearly air tight display, that those numbers go out the window.
If it’s something people are really concerned about, I think it’s more about managing the environment rather than just sealing it up in a box.

It does surprise me a little how much people are worried about the extended longevity of these products. There’s no question it’s a lot of money and you certainly don’t want a fault spring in the first year or two. But if I bought one of these Queen or Infinity pieces, I’d be over the moon just having it on display in my home. I’d look after it but I wouldn’t fret about it ageing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I’m the same. I’ve never considered these things investments. They’ve always been depreciable assets to me. You can instantly lose the value of these busts when you drive a new car off the lot having derived no benefit at all at that point. At least you can enjoy these for a few years.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote