Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

View Poll Results: IS the re-release of Batman VS Killer Croc by DC Collectibles a good or bad idea?
It's good! Everyone can get this stunning piece now! 74 66.67%
It's bad! This is a simple cash grab by the corporates! 28 25.23%
WHAT!?! My original piece will to be worth nothing now! > 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #381
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Oh I'm sure after Man of Steel comes out this summer everyone will be familiar with the "newfangled new 52 thing"
I'm not sure I follow. How is that movie going to make people aware of a comic reboot?
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #382
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I'm not sure I follow. How is that movie going to make people aware of a comic reboot?
That is exactly what I was thinking as I read his message. I guess it's just like people coming out of the theaters when Iron Man 2 premiered and saying "Oh, so there is an Extremis comic book". Cavill's outfit isn't even like the one in the New 52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I don't agree at all with your assessment of the term iconic. The New 52 Superman still very much resembles the Superman we have all grown up with, and that in itself is "iconic". That said, the previous costume is most certainly the classic version of of the character. So if you prefer the classic look, then that makes sense.
You said it yourself, Luminous, it resembles the Superman we all have grown up with, but it's not it. How can an outfit which is barely two years old be considered iconic? It has iconic elements in it, but it's not an iconic image overall.

Look no further than the Bucky PF. I doubt anyone won't recognize Captain America, but they'll say it looks odd. Not to mention you can't give that statue away.

Hence, as a lifelong Superman fan, why should I spend my money on that, instead of what we all have grown up with? Which links with what I was saying about the buying power of customers of a certain age.

Will the new outfit attain a certain iconicity by itself? It certainly could, but it won't be tomorrow and by no means will it sort of erase the iconic image that is the classic outfit from the collective mind like built2shred has been implying by repeatedly saying that someone not liking the new outfits won't be able to buy any new statues except for the odd celebratory one.

There's a reason why the new Sideshow DC PFs are not the New 52 outfits, even though it's in DC's best interest to promote them, guys.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #383
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Yeah, it's true unfortunately. Crazy movie success hasn't translated to crazy comic book success. For the most part, people who read the books, still read them and the people who didn't still don't. Sad, but true.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #384
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Concerning SS doing DC PFs, in the end, DC approves these statues. They can tell SS to do the characters in their New 52 outfits at any given time. Koto is doing it already.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #385
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame_Siryn View Post
Concerning SS doing DC PFs, in the end, DC approves these statues. They can tell SS to do the characters in their New 52 outfits at any given time. Koto is doing it already.
Exactly, but they haven't, because both SSC and DC know what the target is right now for such expensive pieces.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #386
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Exactly, but they haven't, because both SSC and DC know what the target is right now for such expensive pieces.
At first I was elated that SS received the DC license but now with the constant delays and changes in flex pay schedules, I gave up SS for good. Also, I'm greatly disappointed how the Superman PF came out.

I prefer Kotobukiya instead.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #387
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Was replying to your statement that if you showed people both costumes they would pick the original because they've never seen the new one....

As for Shoo comment, the basic design of the costume is the same between Man of Steel and New 52, both are armor based without the shorts... The only difference is various shades of the same color..

You guys just like nitpicking the smallest details to death... If you prefer the 1938 costume that's great, but IMO even tho it was great for its time it's just to old fashion looking and a bit cheesy by todays standards, again IMO...

As Iconic goes, What's Iconic to one generation is obsolete to another generation. Show anyone under 30 and odds are they will pick the cooler armor based outfit over the spandex looking one any day of the week.

Will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #388
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
That's just your opinion... As I said before most of the statues we see that are coming out from SS were probably planned out a long time ago... plus they keep pushing all their statue release dates further and further back..

Your predicting 5+ years before SS makes a new 52, I say within 2 years... will come visit this topic again in 2 years and see who's right.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #389
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Yeah, it's true unfortunately. Crazy movie success hasn't translated to crazy comic book success. For the most part, people who read the books, still read them and the people who didn't still don't. Sad, but true.
Don't have any hard facts to support that either way but I will say after Walking Dead became a hit show the comic books became extremely popular...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #390
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
As for Shoo comment, the costume is the same between Man of Steel and New 52, both are armor based without the shorts... The only difference is various shades of the same color..
Huh? I really have to question whether you have actually seen Cavill's outfit. "The only difference is various shades of the same color"? Really? Where's the collar? Where's the belt? "Armor based"? What armor?

Quote:
I swear you guys just like nitpicking the smallest details to death... If you want to stick with the 1938 version of the costume be my guess...
Please don't try to make it seem like I am against producers doing New 52 based statues. I was merely saying you were wrong in saying the classic outfits are going to go the way of the dodo and I tried to explain what iconic means and why some people (some buying people) are going to keep wanting the classics.

Quote:
As Iconic goes, What's Iconic to one generation is obsolete to another generation. Show anyone under 30 and odds are they will pick the cooler armor based outfit over the underoos looking one any day of the week.
I disagree. I was born in the '70s and the '30s Superman is just as iconic as are Wayne Boring, Curt Swan or Garcia-Lopez's renditions. Just like Mickey Mouse from Steamboat Willie is an iconic image as are later renditions. What's truly iconic is iconic whatever your generation.

Quote:
Will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Quote:
That's just your opinion... As I said before most of the statues we see that are coming out from SS were probably planned out a long time ago... plus they keep pushing all their statue release dates further and further back.
Wow, so much for leaving it at that.

Yeah, and DC didn't know they were going to release the New 52 until a month before they actually began printing those first issues, right?

You're deluding yourself. They are doing the classic statues because they all know what is going to sell. They're a business, that's what they do.

Yeah, I can picture all the fans who've been crying out for years to have SSC-quality statues from the DC Universe only to find that when it actually happens they have to make do with... "hooray", the New 52.

Quote:
Your predicting 5+ years before SS makes a new 52, I say within 2 years... will come visit this topic again in 2 years and see who's right.
Please don't misquote me. I said DC LSFs.

Anyway, in 2 years you're going to be raving over their latest gimmickand saying the New 52 outfits are for an earlier generation.