PDA

View Full Version : What size Ball Bearing for 1:6 figure?

adm
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Looking for eyeball size. Simple question, please help.

Voshizle@gmail.
01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
I think bbs are about the right size.

1logan
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
bb's

adm
01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
thanks

DarkKni9hT
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Not very informative info there. Firstly, bb's come in several sizes, which makes the answer "bb's" pretty vague. Secondly, from my memory of bb guns in my youth, there is no bb large enough to use as proper eyes for a 1/6 scale model. They are all too small. For proper scaling, you need to use a sphere which would be the size of an entire eyeball and bury most of it within the skull, thereby giving the most realistic curve to the visible part of the eye. I use beads from the local craft store. They measure approx. 5/16" or 8mm which gives a pretty good approximation of the human eye. They are also cheaper and lighter than bb's. Additionaly, they come with holes pierced through them, allowing me to space two of them with a bit of armature wire to maintain proper spacing and alignment.

adm
01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
I ended up referring to my anatomy books, and I forget the size right now, but I figured it out on my own. Yes, traditional bb's are too small.

Thanks Darkknight

Hobsend1
02-27-2011, 04:16 AM
A 1:1 scale human eye is 28mm, (1 1/8 inch). So a 1:6 scale human eye is 4.67mm, (0.184 inch). But, trying to find eye shapes EXACTLY 4.67mm is pretty tough. Luckily, you can cheat it a bit, (I've never met anyone yet that has taken a micrometer to a 1:6 sculpt and panned it, because the eyes weren't perfectly 4.67mm).

You could try someplace like Smallparts.com for appropriate sized metal balls. But, your best, most affordable choice would be beads from the local craft store. You can easily find beads pretty close to the right size, there.

Bottom line, as long as you get relatively close in size, nobody will ever know the difference. ;-)