PDA

View Full Version : question about chavant clay after making a mold

bxstrmn
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm in the process of sculpting something and will want to make a mold when i am done for the purpose of resin casting. After I make the mold, will the clay still be reusable for future projects, or does the process destroy the clay? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Orcatraz
04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I have not molded any Chavant yet so I'm not the guy to answer, but it seems to me that the outer layer would get a little contaminated with the Krylon and alcohol or Turpenoid or whatever so you might want to rake off the outer most surface. I don't see why the bulk of it wouldn't be reusable though. I'm also using Chavant, and I'm about to start molding soon, so I'm curious to hear what people who actually know have to say. :D

Ju-San Kubo
04-09-2010, 04:27 PM
It depends on what you use as a sealing agent. If you use a clear coat (like krylon) then it is a good idea to remove the top layer of your sculpt before reusing the clay. If you use a release agent + sealing agent like ease release 200 and super seal (from smooth on) then I've simply reused the clay without any issues.

I would say do NOT use a platinum based silicone to mold chavant. Even with sealing it can impede the curing of the silicone and leave you with a gooey mess.

Speaking to Smooth-on, they couldn't tell me why it reacted that way, since the test piece they did worked fine. Speaking to Chavant, I was told that in their experience tin based silicones work better with the NSP clay (I'm just assuming you plan on using the NSP), and platinum cure silicones can be kind of a crapshoot.

Hope that helps. :)

Orcatraz
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks Ju-San Kubo, I was just about to order some platinum silicone, I'm glad I saw this first. Is there a brand of silicone that you'd recommend? or just anything tin based?

Ju-San Kubo
04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm a big fan of smooth-on's silicones, but anything tin based should work just fine. You should still seal the sculpt though.

morgan2074
06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone.
I am new in the Torrance city and need a good home. Could anyone suggest me some website that provide me reliable and affordable equity inspection?

http://equityinspection.com/