PDA

View Full Version : How to sculpt someone sitting

axpowell
07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Hello, I'm kind of new to sculpting, and I'm having trouble.

How should I go about sculpting someone sitting criss cross apple sauce? I've tried but I keep having trouble getting in all the angles.

Keep in mind I have no idea how to do it in pieces and make it fit right.

Thanks

Voshizle@gmail.
07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Reference, reference, reference....

DarkKni9hT
07-04-2010, 12:02 AM
^ stole my reply, word for word ^

That's the ticket, man. Check all the ref you can find and sort it out. For a cross-legged pose, you're going to have to make it in parts. That is if you want it cast. A one off could be done in one piece, but it would be a Helluva trick.

axpowell
07-04-2010, 12:16 AM
^ stole my reply, word for word ^

That's the ticket, man. Check all the ref you can find and sort it out. For a cross-legged pose, you're going to have to make it in parts. That is if you want it cast. A one off could be done in one piece, but it would be a Helluva trick.

Google easy pose (yoga pose)

Don't plan on making a cast...
Was basically asking if anyone knew any little tricks or anything that could help.

pdxDaniela
07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
not sure what "cris cross apple sauce" looks like. but this is a decent ref book.
Comic artist's photo reference : men and boys / by Buddy Scalera. There are others as well.
& I would say get a friend to pose for you so you can do several sketches and take your own reference pictures.
Seriously working/drawing from a model will help you improve you rendering skills. Get a friend and offer them pizza in trade.

Kdawg59
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
This may or may not help. What I would do in this situation and every situation really, is bulk out the armature first. Build up the mass of the figure and then pose it in the sitting pose you need. This way you will be able to see how the form would pose instead of just trying to guess at it with the armature.

You will have to adjust a few times after that of course and re-sculpt any clay you may have scrunched to much in posing it, but it will be much easier to achieve a natural look this way.

Good luck. This is of course one of many possible methods, so consider the source. Hope it helps.

DarkKni9hT
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
This may or may not help. What I would do in this situation and every situation really, is bulk out the armature first. Build up the mass of the figure and then pose it in the sitting pose you need. This way you will be able to see how the form would pose instead of just trying to guess at it with the armature.

You will have to adjust a few times after that of course and re-sculpt any clay you may have scrunched to much in posing it, but it will be much easier to achieve a natural look this way.

Good luck. This is of course one of many possible methods, so consider the source. Hope it helps.

Yeah, watch it. This guy's a real hack. Advice from him could set you back years.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flash: