PDA

View Full Version : Hooked...

atek
07-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey guys,

Super Noob here. I'm a long time "hobby artist" and have recently developed an itch to give sculpting a try. I was at Micheals the other day and came across the modeling clay section and decided to pick up 2 pounds of "Van Aken Plastalina" (because I'm a beginner and it was the only that said it didn't harden with air contact) and some "Loew Cornell" tools. The thing is, I had so much fun making a crappy little Batman bust, that now I think I'm hooked. hahaha

I guess I'm wondering if the Van Aken Plastalina is any good for getting into sculpting? Or, should I be getting some of the Super Sculpey you guys seem to be talking about all the time? My problem is I don't really have the time to put in full days in at sculpting, so I want something I can leave for a few days and come back to without it being to solid to work with. Is this the case with Super Sculpey? Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)...

cblakey1
07-04-2005, 01:40 AM
SS does not get hard if you set it out. Maybe if left out in direct summer sunlight @ 100 degrees for a day. But otherwise, it'll be fine for extended periods.

It pretty much stays pliable until you bake it. If it gets a little stiff, that can only be a bonus because I find if the more you work it, the softer it gets.

Definitely get yourself some SS (and not regular Sculpey). You'll be glad you did.

Good luck and have fun sculpting!

atek
07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Excellent...thanks for the reply dude. :)

cblakey1
07-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Excellent...thanks for the reply dude. :)
Sure, super Noob! :laugh: