valemeister
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Isn't this due out around now?

bat_collector
07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
that's what I was thinking!

jhownz
07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
dc direct site has them around next week i think (july 13)... does DC normally have delays? The Martian Manhunter statue showed up at my LCS around the same time as they posted so I'm hoping it's accurate.

Azog
07-07-2005, 03:55 PM
DC typically is right on...so I expect to see it next week...

DFury
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
This will be my first DC Statue!!! I cant wait to see this one in person..

df

Mr. X
07-07-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't see it on Diamond's shipping list though.

Azog
07-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Diamonds shipping list does not update until 5:00pm ET Mondays....and typically hard items like statues are not on the expected list...

Nightcrawler777
07-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Post pics when you guys get these in hand...
Ive been on the fence about this statue..

Im a huge Flash fan but not sure if i like Turners Muscled version of him...

Mr. X
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I actually would buy it if it wasn't for Grodd.

The Flash sculpt looks beautiful though.

Sniper
07-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I thought the Grodd added to the piece rather than detracted ...

boondocksaint
07-07-2005, 09:05 PM
i agree with X thought the flash alone wouldve been better!

bat_collector
07-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I thought the Grodd added to the piece rather than detracted ...
I agree

nbr3bagshotrow
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
i agree with X thought the flash alone wouldve been better!
Ditto. Flash is the one DC character I am missing but it's gotta be the right pose. So far Arahom has the best one but there are too many new Bowen, GG, HH, statues coming out right now.

Confessor
07-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Post pics when you guys get these in hand...
Ive been on the fence about this statue..

Im a huge Flash fan but not sure if i like Turners Muscled version of him...

Yes, exactly. I for one don't care at all for this artistic style. I would buy in a heartbeat a solid flash statue (haven't seena good one made yet, though I own one of the earliest ones) that's very well done but just generic Flash.

Grodd does distract from this. Besides, I didn't see anything distinguishing in the statue pics that says this is anything other than a big ape that escaped from the zoo....

Neomotion
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Am i the only one here that thinks Flash it way to muscular? He looks like he could take on Superman in a cagefight. I thought running made you thinner, not add weight?

Other then that, i like the sculpture. And i do thin Grodd adds something. Still, Flash this big.....?

oops, read over that. I guess i am not the only one after all.

Jesse321
07-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I'll keep my Flash resin statue Thank You very much !!

boondocksaint
07-08-2005, 03:57 AM

yup jesse thats the best sculpt of flash out there right now...i keep missing this kit on ebay....one day i will grab it.... :buttrock:

ohiobowenfan
07-08-2005, 08:55 AM
The statue is on my invoice for next week, so it is definitely shipping as planned.

valemeister
07-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Sweet. I'll probably get it around the same time as my Bowen Gambit FS then. Really looking forward to this statue. I don't usually buy a lot of DC stuff, but I think it's a really nice piece.

Tao
07-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Will have to check out in person, but I would like to get it.
I think several of the better DC statues have gotten that treatment lately. The Hughes WW, the Jim Lee Batman and Superman, all look a little on the chisled side when displayed by themselved. However, when the are all put together, it looks like a series.

A series on people in tights and bathing suits that take too much Creatine...but a series nonetheless.

lord odin
07-09-2005, 05:00 PM
you know that`s a kit don`t you?

Jesse321
07-09-2005, 05:26 PM
you know that`s a kit don`t you?That's what I've been told, but I was told it was a prototype of some sort when I bought it. It's totally solid, weighs about as much as the Bowen Thor. I've seen the kit and there are few minor differences, but if it is a kit, it's the best put together kit I've ever seen ... and either way, it's still one of my favorite pieces.

Confessor
07-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Am i the only one here that thinks Flash it way to muscular? He looks like he could take on Superman in a cagefight. I thought running made you thinner, not add weight?

Other then that, i like the sculpture. And i do thin Grodd adds something. Still, Flash this big.....?

Absolutely. This sculpt is supposed to be duplicating some specific artist's style, which apparently it does a good job of. But I think Flash looks ridiculous like this. I would have bought this piece if the representation of Flash had been (correctly) done as more of a classic and (relatively) realistic appearance.

I concur. It is this quality you bring up that cost them at least one purchase (mine). That and the over-inflated price.

lord odin
07-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Absolutely. This sculpt is supposed to be duplicating some specific artist's style, which apparently it does a good job of. But I think Flash looks ridiculous like this. I would have bought this piece if the representation of Flash had been (correctly) done as more of a classic and (relatively) realistic appearance.

I concur. It is this quality you bring up that cost them at least one purchase (mine). That and the over-inflated price.
DITTO.

bat_collector
07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
so, is this coming out this week?

jhownz
07-13-2005, 12:02 PM

I'll let you know in a couple of hours.. on my way to LCS to see if it's there.

cblakey1
07-13-2005, 12:06 PM

Saw it at my LCS today. They had an extra and tried to interest me in it and I said I'll wait for the mini.

ABDGUY
07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Saw it at my LCS today. They had an extra and tried to interest me in it and I said I'll wait for the mini.

Same here...speaking of minis did anyone else happen to see the 3 piece Kingdom Come mini statue that came out last week? I know there are 3 characters on there but for $90 its just not worth it.

jhownz
07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
yup.. it's out. My LCS has 2 pieces.. both damaged. :banghead: One has a ding on his right foot and the other has a big scratch on his right head wing.

Azog
07-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Mine had two also, but they were in great condition, if they were less than $200 I would prolly snag one....

jhownz
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Mine had two also, but they were in great condition, if they were less than $200 I would prolly snag one....

I'm going to check another store later for these.. but I thought retail was just shy of $200? For those interested, this piece has a 1500 run.

bat_collector
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Got #19 today at the lcs. Sweet statue! :buttrock:

Azog
07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm going to check another store later for these.. but I thought retail was just shy of $200? For those interested, this piece has a 1500 run.

Okay shoot me $195....LOL :)

jhownz
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay shoot me $195....LOL :)

:laugh: .. so you're getting one then? :eplus2: After going through 4 Flashes piesces with defects, I finally got this in. :)

Jesse321
07-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I as it at my LCS shop today :puke2:

bat_collector
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
All I can say is . . .

HATER!

:laugh:

Pogo4321
07-14-2005, 12:39 AM

First I don't like it and truly despise Turner's art, but I think his model here is the sprinter not the distance runner. Have you seen Olympic level sprinters? Those guys are cut big time. And I do think the sprinter model makes more sense for the Flash than the marathon runner.

Jesse321
07-14-2005, 12:43 AM
All I can say is . . .HATER! :laugh:Do you have any idea how much it pains me to continue seeing DC put out such crap statues when thier books are SO freaking good right now? :banghead:

bat_collector
07-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Do you have any idea how much it pains me to continue seeing DC put out such crap statues when thier books are SO freaking good right now? :banghead:
I can always agree with you on the latter half of this statement. I like my statue.

valemeister
07-14-2005, 03:50 AM
We got one in the shop yesterday morning and while it's a really lovely sculpt, it looks like they put all the paint work into the defeated Grodd (who looks absolutely fab) and didn't bother with any highlights for Flash himself. He looks more like an action figure than a statue.

I still like it though and will have that on it's way to me by the end of the week, I've been told. I'll take some pictures when it arrives.

Babytoxie
07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I like the idea for the sculpt. It's the Flash's stance that bugs me. The positioning of the shoulders and hips makes him look like some SI swimsuit model rising from the surf.

Jesse321
07-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I can always agree with you on the latter half of this statement. I like my statue.But then again, you liked ROTS too, SOOOOOOO :rolleyes2 :laugh:

bat_collector
07-14-2005, 06:30 PM
But then again, you liked ROTS too, SOOOOOOO :rolleyes2 :laugh:
You're funny ,hater. :mad:

anyway, trekkie, I really like the statue. Its growing on me more and more! :buttrock:

popeye
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey guys

Tony C here ( responsible for the dead ape :) )

If you guys only knew what HELL we all went through putting this statue together.....oy vey.

First...Turner's original concept had Grodd all strecthed out...and to make him in scale with Flash, it would have had to be about 15-16 inches long and you'd have needed a forklift to get it home, not to mention taking out a second mortgage.

Then we cut him at the waist and stuck him into the ground...didn't look right. Looked like a zombie rising from the grave.

The idea was to have Flash stepping over him after he just pummeled him into the ground. I think there actually was a scene like this in the Flash comics...I forget what issue.

I sculpted about four gorillas before we finally had to stop jerking around and make a decision.

Anyway...I think the final result is kinda cool....but i might be a little prejudiced....:laugh: It was an honor and a kick collaborating with Tim Bruckner...one of the best in the biz. His Flash is stylized because it is a MIKE TURNER FLASH. I can't understand knocking the anatomy. He NAILED the stlye to the wall. I'm not crazy about the 'Popeye' ( :rolleyes2 ) forearms Turner draws either...but it looks JUST LIKE the art. Which is what Tim was contracted to sculpt.

Trust me...this piece is tremendous in size. For sheer bulk, it is priced right. The factory HAd to charge a small fortune to cast and paint thiese...So I doubt, even at $195...that DC is making a killing on it. But I guess making the purchase depend on whether you are a Turner fan or not.

I haven't seen the final factory piece yet....Can anyone tell me whether they had clear drool dripping from Grodds mouth? That was an idea batted around...wondering if they pulled the trigger on it.

I'll say it gain..I know there are a lot of anti-DC Direct boys in here...But contrary to popular belief....the guys up there (and the sculptors, mind you) are busting their butts trying to put out good product. AND...you can't possibly knock Bruckner. Anyone that can complain about his work , simply wouldn't know what a good sculpt is if it bit them on their kiester. He is one of the best out there.....certainly amoung the top toy sculptors in the world. His Green Lantern Vs. Sinestro belongs in a museum.

Cheers,

TC

DaddyVader
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I saw this piece at my LCS and if nothing else, it is HUGE! It must come in two pieces because otherwise it wouldn't fit in the box. I think I would have liked to have seen Grod painted a darker color because he almost looked pastel next to a primarary red Flash, but the sculpting was DEAD ON to Turner's art. I didn't notice any glossy drool coming from Grod, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, Tony! All in all, a very substancial sculpt, but it would very much depend on how you felt about Turner's art as to whether or not you liked it!

Daddy V

Confessor
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey guys

If you guys only knew what HELL we all went through putting this statue together.....oy vey.

First...Turner's original concept had Grodd all strecthed out...and to make him in scale with Flash, it would have had to be about 15-16 inches long and you'd have needed a forklift to get it home, not to mention taking out a second mortgage.

Then we cut him at the waist and stuck him into the ground...didn't look right. Looked like a zombie rising from the grave.

The idea was to have Flash stepping over him after he just pummeled him into the ground. I think there actually was a scene like this in the Flash comics...I forget what issue.

I sculpted about four gorillas before we finally had to stop jerking around and make a decision.

Anyway...I think the final result is kinda cool....but i might be a little prejudiced....:laugh: It was an honor and a kick collaborating with Tim Bruckner...one of the best in the biz. His Flash is stylized because it is a MIKE TURNER FLASH. I can't understand knocking the anatomy. He NAILED the stlye to the wall. I'm not crazy about the 'Popeye' ( :rolleyes2 ) forearms Turner draws either...but it looks JUST LIKE the art. Which is what Tim was contracted to sculpt.

Trust me...this piece is tremendous in size. For sheer bulk, it is priced right. The factory HAd to charge a small fortune to cast and paint thiese...So I doubt, even at $195...that DC is making a killing on it. But I guess making the purchase depend on whether you are a Turner fan or not.

I haven't seen the final factory piece yet....Can anyone tell me whether they had clear drool dripping from Grodds mouth? That was an idea batted around...wondering if they pulled the trigger on it.

I'll say it gain..I know there are a lot of anti-DC Direct boys in here...But contrary to popular belief....the guys up there (and the sculptors, mind you) are busting their butts trying to put out good product. AND...you can't possibly knock Bruckner. Anyone that can complain about his work , simply wouldn't know what a good sculpt is if it bit them on their kiester. He is one of the best out there.....certainly amoung the top toy sculptors in the world. His Green Lantern Vs. Sinestro belongs in a museum.

Cheers,

TC

Buckner succeeded very well (as did you, I suppose ;) ) in getting the style right. And I LONG for an excellent Flash sculpt. But I HATE, HATE Turner's art style. Same everything, but more realistic anatomy on Flash, please. Then I'll buy.....

popeye
07-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Buckner succeeded very well (as did you, I suppose ;) ) in getting the style right. And I LONG for an excellent Flash sculpt. But I HATE, HATE Turner's art style. Same everything, but more realistic anatomy on Flash, please. Then I'll buy.....

I can't say I HATE HATE HATE it.... :laugh:

BUT...I'm not a big fan, either.... He does have a distinctive method of drawing human anatomy.///tiny heads....huge forearms...and lantern jaws.

I DO like his females....very sexy...in a skinny, Olsen twins kinda way...NO BUTTS! :mad:

I wish they'd do a Carmine Infantino, silver age Flash. I'm sure they will get around to it one day.

didn't they do classic Flash statue a loooong time ago? I seem to remeber one running along side a golden age Flash....Maybe my mind is going.... :redface:

Babytoxie
07-14-2005, 10:14 PM
I wish they'd do a Carmine Infantino, silver age Flash. I'm sure they will get around to it one day.

didn't they do classic Flash statue a loooong time ago? I seem to remeber one running along side a golden age Flash....Maybe my mind is going.... :redface:

Amen to a Carmine Infantino Flash.

And yes, the statue you're referring to is The Flash of Two Worlds, recreating the cover of FLASH #123. It's awesome.

jhownz
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey guys

Cheers,

TC

Hey Tony.. nice work on the dead ape. :) You're right.. there is a bit of glossy streak running down Grodd's mouth which would appear to be drool. I didnt even notice that until you mentioned it. I for one am a big fan of Tim Bruckner.. I own several DC pieces sculpted by Tim - Green Arrow, classic Aquaman, WW2, Jim Lee's Superman & Batman, Turner's Supergirl & now Flash. Green Arrow remains to be one of my favorites to date..

boondocksaint
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
where are the pics people?

jhownz
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Here ya go.. too lazy to take it out of the shelf for now. :)

The Problem Solver
07-14-2005, 11:16 PM

Go here for more pics of this piece:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=244102&posted=1#post244102

bat_collector
07-15-2005, 12:57 AM
this piece is awesome, a welcome addition to my collection

Confessor
07-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Flash himself seems way too small. I know it's behind the Jim Lee Bats and Supes, but even beside the GL medium statue, Flash looks "medium" in scale. Is this so? Is the flash sculpt itself in scale with BD statues (FS), or more in scale with the "medium Jim Lee type size?

jhownz
07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Flash himself seems way too small. I know it's behind the Jim Lee Bats and Supes, but even beside the GL medium statue, Flash looks "medium" in scale. Is this so? Is the flash sculpt itself in scale with BD statues (FS), or more in scale with the "medium Jim Lee type size?

Flash is not in scale with the BD statues.. He scales perfectly with the rest of the DC direct 'medium' statues (Jim Lee's Supes and Bats). He's about the same scale as GL.. GL is just displayed slightly behind Flash. Grodd is wide and deep.

Confessor
07-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Flash is not in scale with the BD statues.. He scales perfectly with the rest of the DC direct 'medium' statues .....

Blech, blech, blech. That's the scoop with these DC folks who, we are told by some here, are doing all they can to put out a top product. Yeah, right. Hey DC, if so, why not make a product that we can display proudly along the 60 fs BD scale statues that we have. What are we supposed to do with the DC statues, have a separate room for them?

Gimme a break.

popeye
07-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Wait a second, Confessor....let me understand this.....

According to your logic ....From now on, every product they DC puts out must adhere strictly to BD size scale just so they display better next to your BD collection?

I don't even wanna know how you feel about Sideshow's 1/4 scale...or Diamond..or Hard Hero...or Dynamic ( 1:1 busts!!!) ...all of which are different scale Marvel pieces.. I not even gonna mention Hero Clix. :laugh:

I'm really confused as to why the constant comparison between the two companies. It's constant. Every time I visit the DC forum, there is someone really upset about the scale.... It happens every time people discuss a new DC statue....many of which are mind blowingly good sculptures...(Bruckners GL vs. Sinestro....Matthews' Bolland Batman....the Jim Lee versions.....the Hughes WW bust....) etc...
And yet they all get the SAME OLD WORN OUT RAP... 'not in scale with BD.' Which is inevitably followed by... "ahhh ..and the sculpt blows too."

Not trying to be sarcastic at all...but this isn't the Bowen forum, is it? This is the DC forum. We have two very different companies. Why do Bowen fans ( and I'm one) keep comparing the scales and complaining that they don't match? Who cares? They are statues. Unless people are snapping them off the base & sitting on the floor playing with them, I can't see why they have to be EXACTLY the same size....variety is the spice of life, no?

I love Randy's stuff. Hell....I'm DOING some of Randy's stuff...

If you don't like DC Direct, there is no law that sez you need to buy their product. I'm NOT a DC employee...just a freelancer. I do work for BOTH companies. I don't care what scale they are producing...they are all nice, talented guys....and they pay me on time!!!!

I'm talking SCULPTURE here....and I think Bruckner is a master sculptor. At ANY scale.

With respect,
Confused Tony

Bullseye
07-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Agree totally with you Tony. The recent DC statues have been awesome and Bruckner is one of the top three sculptors around at the moment IMO. His stuff is inspiring. I also agree with the scale issue. DC isn't supposed to be displayed with Marvel. They are from a different universe and should therefore be displayed by themselves.

popeye
07-16-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm just trying to figure out why people are so angry with the scale thing.

-I can see being ticked off about high prices. Hell..I can't afford to buy my own sculptures most times. I rely on samples that the client sometimes sends.

-I can see being angry if Batman and Robin or Captain America and Bucky were done in two different scales. Understandable.

-I can see why fans might get mad if a product line tanks and is discontinued before their favorite character gets made. Ok. S**t hppens.

But...and I could be wrong....I'm getting the feeling that there is a real animosity toward DC Direct in general. And the 'different scale from BD' is just a springboard/excuse to bash their stuff.

I understand brand loyalty...and this STATUE FORUM is packed with Bowen fans...and rightly so. Randy has been putting out quality stuff CONSISTANTLTY for as long as I remember. He's never changed scales on people, and collectors appreciate it.

But just because another company's stuff is not the same size as RB's stuff...is that a reason to hammer every statue DC comes out with? I don't normally stray from the Sculptor's forum...but is this true of the other comapnies too? Are people all upset over the other companies size choices?

I've said this before...I may be a little defensive becasue I know all these sculptors and they are all GREAT people. ( I'm not sure if they lurk here...I've never seen Jack, Jon, Tim ,Karen or James Shoop post here...although I've told them about this place ) So I feel like someone ought to take their part. They all take their work VERY seriously. And the work is top notch. When I see people rip their work, I'm floored. I have had my own stuff torn to shreds by fans...and it can be painful to read....but when I see guys saying they don't like Tim Bruckners' work or Jack Matthews'...or Jon Matthews......I feel much better. You just cannot please every person. The best one I've ever seen was someone saying Andy Bergholtz didn't do likenesses well. WHAT???
That kid is arguably the best in the biz at actor likenesses. That's when I knew that you can talk till your blue in the face, and some people will never come around.

But if you just step back...forget about the scale thing for a second...forget that the damn DC mini-bust line didn't work out( another constant complaint)....you will see that some of this sculpture is breath taking and would grace any collection.

I'm not even a big Batman fan, but the entire BW line is a must have...and priced right. It's a Bat fan's dream come true. And so what if they are all 7 inches tall? They don't take up your entire shelf! If they made them bigger and more expensive, there would be complaining about that. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Someone begins a thread talking about a DC sculpture...and it always returns to the scale thing. Which then degenerates into an 'I Hate DC' fest. To me it's silly. I guess, becasue of the subject matter, a comparison is inevitable....but these two companies....as well as all the other Marvel and DC licensees putting out collectibles don't all need to follow each other and do things the same way. How boring would that be? I love what Sideshow is doing with their dioramas. The work that Andy, Pablo, Ray and Martin are doing for them is nothing short of museum quality. The bar is SO high now. It's a great time to be a collector ( helps if you're a millionaire, though)

Personally? As a sculptor...I LOVE the more 'classical' poses Randy does in his statues. They are simple, yet powerful and still have movement. I'd prefer a statue like Randy's Daredevil...over a more dynamic, leaping/fighting action pose. That's just me.

But how can anyone NOT appreciate that Green Lantern vs. Sinestro....as art? The sculpting is flawless...and the engineering of it alone is enough to make people stop and stre at it for an hour. Why not point out the good points of it, instead of focusing on comparing it to the size of a completley different comapny's stuff? I'm completely baffled by this.

It's apples and oranges.

Again...just asking questions. Not trying to stir up a hornets' nest.

Best to all,
TC

Confessor
07-16-2005, 07:01 AM
TC--

I can clarify all your comments. And I appreciate your post and enjoy the dialog. No hornet nest stirred here in the least.

First, have no criticism whatsoever of the sculptors. They are given a task (make this character in this artist's style in this scale). I doubt that they have much leeway with those 3 issues. So as I said above, "Buckner succeeded very well (as did you, I suppose ) in getting the style right." None of my comments are supposed to imply that. If I have a problem with that issue, I don't mind stating so, but that's not the case here.

Secondly, I have absolutely no loyalty to any statue producer at all. I have never towed that "party line" on any issue at all around here, including with this issue. It has little to do with BD. It has to do with....yes....my (and many, many other's) collections. My beef is with the numb-skulls who make the decisions as to scale in the first place. Since most full sized statue collectors have many BD or RB pieces, and the scales are (what, 1:8), a MAJOR consideration for other statue producers needs to be this "big picture." I have just shy of 70 full sized statues (mostly BD, cause he's made the most) in one room. From a perspective of scale, it would seem just plain odd to have a GL vs Sinestro in view of my "3 GL statues" that I have that were done several years ago (A Scott, Jordan and the newer fella). Theyre of different scales....and it just doesnt look right. I LOVE the classic AND non-classic poses. So that variety is very, very good, actually. But just imagine this 1:8 superhero next to this "medium scale" statue, where the subjects, "in the real world," would be near the same height. Not good.

I have no problem with full sized busts, b/c, not having many busts at all anyway (statues mostly), the concept of a full sized bust (I have 2) is clear in comparison to the 12 inch statues. BTW, I don't do cloth on my statues (longevity horrible, as just one problem) and 1:4 scale rules out anything done there for my collection for the same problems. Only way to solve this is to have a different room practically for each scale.

Now we have DC (where I LOVE the characters, no "Marvel over DC" with me at all. I LOVE 'em all, really...well, okay, most anyway), who has had at best a schizophrenic (sp) history. Varying scales, to say the least. What a colossal oversight! Geeze, guys. My "conspiracy flights of ideas" makes me think that DC has pursposely scaled back the size of their statues to "medium" so as to try to get the consumer "used to" that size from them, where less product is used (save $ for them) and yet they can still charge over and above what another company charges for a larger item. And DC has no "middle man" whatsoever....no licencing fees (to itself).

I mean, what other reason could there be for the scale (medium)? I mean, what would be the point otherwise. From a business sense, it seems to be that'd it'd be GOOD to make DC characters in scale (different poses/etc all great) with what most of the folks who will be buying this stuff already has. Because as we all know, DC wants to please its customers. I just dont get it. And I will keep harping on this issue in the hope that somebody somewhere will come across this issue and rethink the scale issue.

Now I dont at all in the least whatsoever like the DC idea of making a statue of some particular persons art. I hate that. Now, this doesnt bother me as much b/c I know that it's very likely transient. But scale is less likely to be so (though DC has pulled the change-a-roo on this enough that I have hope). I think DC doing a statue of some artists particular style is silly b/c: (1) there is no excellent more classical look to many of their characters (no great Flash, for example), and (2) some of these artist's styles are so much pushing the envelope that it creates a "love it or hate it" division, that any marketing/sales/business group should immediately recognize as undesireable in the context of trying to move the maximum number of units (of a product). I happen to abhor the style that the Flash was done in (but the sculptor did a bang up job of nailing it).

As for the Batman BW line. Of course you know I have a problem with the scale. But the "price isnt right" either. Yes, the number is lower, but the value is no better at all, if not worse. Because the idea of value has to do with size vs price to me (along with quality of sculpt, etc.). Take Galactus, its price and its size. BD is the middle man. He had to pay fees to Marvel to do what he does. DC Direct does not have such added overhead costs. Now honestly, what do you think DC D would have charged for that very same Galactus piece. $250? $295?

Again, I dont hate DC. I love many characters from DC (and Marvel). So you might be speaking of other threads or posts outside of mine when you refer to an "I hate DC" crudfest. I stated, however, that "I HATE, HATE Turner's art style," which I do. Turner's prob. a heck of a guy. But I dont dig his work on flash.

Just some clarification I hope. ;)

bat_collector
07-16-2005, 08:17 AM
yadda yadda yadaa

Anyone who complains about the Batman: Black and White has no real arguments in my book. Its a line where we get awesome quality mini-statues of the most interpreted hero in comicdom, each one a tribute to a way he has been drawn. Oh, and each piece is around $40.00 What other line is doing that? None! I pay less for one of these than I do for a Bowen bust on Doc Samson or Crystal. Sounds like a win in my book.

Sorry, but this board in general is VERY 1) Pro-Bowen, 2) Anti-anyone else, and 3) anti-DC. I'm sick of the complaining by the B.B.K (Bowen Butt-Kissers) who feel the need to trash every sculpture not having the BD symbol on it. Last time I checked competition was healthy, but you guys take it like an affront to hobby. Not only do you guys start threads in the increasingly useless Bowen Forum (filled with more whiny "I Want This!!!" threads than I can stand) about how bad Good to Great statues/busts are aweful, but they come to other boards just to trash the latest offerings as well. Just look at SS vs line. It must have struck a cord with the sycophantic B.B.K, because some posted as if they were OFFENDED that people like it better than some Bowen products. My God, what Blasphemy! The B.B.K. can't even stand it when anothe artist WORKING FOR BD makes an awesome statue. "We were robbed because Randy didn't sculpt this." Ingratiating comments like that have turned me off from even posting there anymore, by and large.

One more thing, its been ove 20 years since the 70's. Some of us didn't grow up reading those books. So forgive other companies if they decide to use Astonishing X-men costumes (its just a top 10 book after all) or decide to use Doom's more modern interpretations to make an awesome, original, and innovative statue.

As for DC, which the particular section of the forum is about, if you are going to attempt to make an intelligent post, please come up with some better than 1)I don't like the scale or 2) Bowen deserves the license. Go play in the bowen section and start more threads like, POLL: Which uninteresting Defenders Villain deseves a statue" or "Why I need a baby Cable bust."

The Flash vs Grodd, GL vs Sinestro, and Batman: Black and White line are awesome, original, and innovative. I'm glad someone like DC and SS are stepping up to the plate to produce statues that AREN'T the classic pose/musuem pose and are in the style of artists who I buy comics from today! There is a segment of this hobby who have been severly neglected, and I'm glad I'm starting to have some choices now.

To all you AWESOME DC sculptors, you rock and continue to impress. Keep up the fantastic work! Many of us here are blown away by your products!

popeye
07-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Very Cool, Mr. C.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that.
Can't say I agree with it all...but I also like the dialogue.

I was surprised to be nodding in agreement with some of those points. I'm not a big fan of some of the artists DC is embracing lately... But I understand that they need to make statues based on their artists' art....it's marketing. It's good press for the books and vice versa. Unfortunately for me, my tastes run toward the 1960's...Swan, Adams, Kubert, Aparo, Infantino, etc.
My biggest beef is that they don't embrace THAt stuff a little more. don't think I haven't pitched it( begged, is more like it)

The scale thing still won't ever be an issue with me. I've got all different size pieces on my shelves and they all play nicely together.

Different rooms?? I'm lucky my wife lets me have one room to put all my crap!
:)

Cheers!!!!

TC

popeye
07-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Bat Collector,

That was a fun read... Cracked me up a little.

One thing we all can agree on: This industry brings out the passion in people.
We collectors are sick people. We all need to get outside more, I think.
:) :) :)

HEY!! The 70's were fun! you shoulda been there....I could have done without the terrycloth and polyester...but it was a fun time for comic books.

Bullseye
07-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Question why should a 3-D artist always follow a 2-D artists style. Sculpture is IMO more inspiring than painting. I say let the sculptor sculpt the way he wants. Every character in every comic has been done as he/she appeared in the comics. Why not allow the sculptor express how he/she would like to see the character.

bat_collector
07-16-2005, 08:33 AM
One thing we all can agree on: This industry brings out the passion in people.
We collectors are sick people. We all need to get outside more, I think.
HEY!! The 70's were fun! you shoulda been there....I could have done without the terrycloth and polyester...but it was a fun time for comic books.
I never said I was sane. :thumbs2:
Hey, if you could beg DC to do some Neal Adams inspired sculpts I'm all for it.

Outside, what's that. :laugh:

popeye
07-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Question why should a 3-D artist always follow a 2-D artists style. Sculpture is IMO more inspiring than painting. I say let the sculptor sculpt the way he wants. Every character in every comic has been done as he/she appeared in the comics. Why not allow the sculptor express how he/she would like to see the character.

That is a great point, Bullseye. Ray Villafane has been asking me that...I have no answer .

Guys like Timm and Ross come up with totally fresh takes on the characters..... and fans embrace it whole heartedly...

I'd love to see a series of sculptures based on original designs by sculptors for a change. But I guesss they need to see it 'work' in print first..Who knows?

The only sculptor I've seen come up with a totally original take...all his own...on a superhero is Gabe Perna. If you haven't seen his Aquaman....wow. It's awesome and like no other aquaman I've seen. VERY cool.

popeye
07-16-2005, 08:40 AM
I never said I was sane. :thumbs2:
Hey, if you could beg DC to do some Neal Adams inspired sculpts I'm all for it.

Outside, what's that. :laugh:

Are you kidding? I've been begging for YEARS.... and two art directors!! They do the classic silver age stuff on occassion...but they seem to be focusing on what is HOT in the books NOW for the time being.

I've been GROVELING for an Adam West Batman too....licensing issues.

Well...it';s Saturday and If I sit in front of the computer any longer, I'm gonna find my suitcase on the front steps.

Gotta run.

Bullseye
07-16-2005, 08:42 AM
I love how Gabe interprets a character and makes it his own. I’m afraid to say and I don’t think it’s the sculptor’s fault but the majority of comic related sculpture is based solely on the comic book artist’s work. If it doesn’t look like ‘Jim Lee’ or ‘John Romita’ then its not right attitude from both the collector and producer.

Tony if you were commissioned to produce say a Batman sculpt by DC would you have total artist licence? Come up with your own BM?

bat_collector
07-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Can osmeone post a pic of the gabe perna aquaman?

Bullseye
07-16-2005, 09:18 AM
try Here B_C
http://www.sculptorscorner.goregoregore.com/Perna.htm

popeye
07-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Bullseye
07-16-2005, 09:41 AM
It certainly seems like that the sculptor working in this industry won't get the glory of the comic book artist as they are regurgitating the original artists work. But what would happen say you come up with a concept for (as its on a DC thread Batman) and it looked awesome, would you expect DC to employ an artist to copy that concept into a new run of comics. This is highly unlikely. But I’ve seen enough talent on this board and others to believe that if given an opportunity some of the concept designs of established comic book characters would be mind-blowing.

speedracer
07-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey guys

Cheers,

TC

Damn I'm really just a small collector from across the globe and i was just admiring tony ciprianos markings on the gorilla grodd statue..I really love these forums cause we can get input from some of the best guys in the statue business...I bought the falsh statue and I'm really star struck that the guy who has his mark on this great statue is in this forum along with a couple of others...Call me a kiss ass if you want..but i really like the dc stuff..I also like bowens they have their own flavor..but my real enjoyment goes with sideshow..I would like to express popeye for a job well done on grodd..=)

Seans always here to back you up..great job..=)

More power popeye deep making em so i can keep buying em..;)

Yup tony the drool on grodds fur is there it's one of the first detail i saw myself..excellent work..=)

jhownz
07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Good points.. I myself don't mind the scale in which DC produces their statues - being pricy is a different issue. I appreciate the piece by how good the sculpt is rather than what scale it was made on. Like someone mentioned, DC is a different universe than Marvel and normally would be displayed separately. You don't need a different room either.. I have Bowen, DC direct, Moore, GG pieces all displayed in one room - abiet different shelving or cases but they still look great together. I would have been disappointed if they produced the Flash in a Bowen scale.. that would mean I wouldn't be able to display it together with Batman, Superman and other DC direct pieces.

lord odin
07-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I like dc and marvel I like the flash but I don`t like turner`s art style so i`m passing on it even though it has an awesome base.
I also like bowen but they also have dropped the ball on some pieces as well IMO.
The batman B&W line is great and cheap what`s not to like? ok I don`t like the bisley but i`ll admit it looks better in person than the pics i`ve seen.
I have lots of pieces from all different companies BD,DST,DF,FX so I don`t just go with bowen simply put if it`s nice and I like it I buy it.
Now on to more important things from DC where`s my captain marvel statue and bust.

Confessor
07-16-2005, 03:38 PM
yadda yadda yadaa

Anyone who complains about the Batman: Black and White has no real arguments in my book....

....Sorry, but this board in general is VERY 1) Pro-Bowen, 2) Anti-anyone else, and 3) anti-DC. I'm sick of the complaining by the B.B.K (Bowen Butt-Kissers) ..... Last time I checked competition was healthy, but you guys take it like an affront to hobby......

.....So forgive other companies if they decide to use Astonishing X-men costumes (its just a top 10 book after all) or decide to use Doom's more modern interpretations to make an awesome, original, and innovative statue....

....if you are going to attempt to make an intelligent post, please come up with some better than 1)I don't like the scale or 2) Bowen deserves the license......

Bats, Bats, Bats....you're not directing much of this post in my direction, are you? C'mon, dont you know me well enough? ;)

I am anything but "BD only" or anti-other or "anti-DC". You may not have been shooting this my way, but I clarify anyway. I LOVE DC. Marvel rocks too. I never on any subject, ever, had (nor understood) the "Marvel vs DC" mentality/camp/thought process. I like 'em all. That's why I care about what the DC folks do with the scale of thier pieces. I want full size. And I think that DC is trying to get off on the cheap by shrinking down the scale of their statues (not referring to mini Batman BW, but rather Flash, GL, etc.), while keeping prices so high (again, with no middle man).

As for the Batman BW, I dont mind a "mini-statue category," (though I'll never buy any) but I dont like the artwork style of Batman BW (too cut muscular...Bats looks naked with paint on rather than a costume that would more realistically blunt some of that. As a matter of fact, it's more difficult for a sculptor to do the "fabric costume over cut muscle" look. It's more intellectually and physically challenging). I like seeing the tight fabric lines pulling over muscular build...just my taste.

And hey, I LOVE the competition out there. I love the classic pose, and I love the non-classic "gettin' it done" poses that are coming out (SS vs. pieces will rock). When I referred to "classic" in my post above, I was referring to the art style, not the pose. I don't at all care for a statue in any "particular artist's style" myself....good or bad. When it comes to selection of statues that I'll buy, (1) I must like the character, (2) I don't like crap (referring to poor sculpt or paint job...medium DC pieces of late NOT in that category...just a scale problem), and (3) I want ALL of my statues to gel together. That's where the scale issue comes in for me.

Varying costumes? Bring 'em on! I love that. I like seeing the same character in varying costumes. It's like "different snap shots" of the same dude throughout his "career" (only dont give me original Nightwing costume.... to g.a.y. for me). Ex. is the Cyclops with DC and the upcoming X-men vs Sentinel...I cant wait.

As for the inference (or direct challenge) that my posting concerns over scale with regards to DC is "unintelligent," I beg to differ. It's the major issue for me and until it changes (which, considering DC Direct track record on the wide varying scales....it will eventually), I shall (intelligently, I think) speak up. I mean, what's next? Micronaut-sized statues (for those of you in the know with the early 1980's toys [they were cool, were'nt they?]). Please don't take offense. I will always say (as is appropriate), "This piece rocks! (a la GL vs Sinestro) But if only they'd have gotten the scale right."

popeye
07-16-2005, 04:50 PM

popeye
07-16-2005, 04:59 PM

jhownz
07-16-2005, 06:00 PM
A quick word on pricing....

I might be wrong...but I have had stuff manufactured MYSELF overseas and if i'm not mistaken ,the price the factory chargs per unit is based on edition size, and cubic size of the piece in inches....also paint applications, casting difficulty, etc.

If the main character of the DC character is slightly smaller than the figure on a BD statue and costs more....it might very well be that the base/diorama is wider/bigger/ HEAVIER in some way.... or a bigger pain to cast...nescesatating a higher retail.

I might be talking out of my hat...and I would love to see prices drop so I can blow more of my paychecks on these things....but I just wanted to point that out . I seriously doubt the DC big wigs are trying to gouge anyone. If a piece costs $195, you can bet it cost them anarm and a leg to cast/ package/ship.

Depends on the factory too.

good discussion fellas. Glad everyone is keeping their sense of humor intact.

The retail price of $195 for Flash and Grodd can be justified since there are, after all, 2 characters in that piece. I just don't see how Jim Lee's Catwoman or even GL Hal Jordan by William Paquet would carry the $195 price tag as well. Catwoman is too small to carry that big of a price tag. But then again, I dont know much about the casting process, etc..

Confessor
07-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Gimme DC pieces in scale with Paquet's Darkseid, the old 1993 Lobo, or even Bowen's Superman, or Paquet's GL's. C'mon.....

bat_collector
07-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Now on to more important things from DC where`s my captain marvel statue and bust.
Exactly! :buttrock:

bat_collector
07-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Bats, Bats, Bats....you're not directing much of this post in my direction, are you? C'mon, dont you know me well enough? ;)

(only dont give me original Nightwing costume.... to g.a.y. for me).
well, confessor, I wasn't directing this at you, and apologize for that. Consider it a pan-forum response to the BBK, as I like to put it. Especially with SDCC having everyoen show its wares. It seems the finer pieces in other companies offerings are getting a lot of unnecessary comparisons and downright hate for not having the BD logo on it.

I love bowen designs, but also GG, DC direct and now SS. give me more competition so I get more choices darn it! :buttrock:

Nightwing's original costume rules!

Confessor
07-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Nightwing's original costume rules!

No apology required at all. I took no offense...it was merely a light-hearted semi-jab. ;)

But don't you think that Nightwing's original costume looks like a 3rd-rate carnival costume? And not very functional at night. He must have gone through a lot of starch to keep that collar up like that.....

Jesse321
07-17-2005, 01:12 PM
You're funny ,hater. :mad: anyway, trekkie, I really like the statue. Its growing on me more and more! :buttrock:Growing on you? Like a fungus? :laugh:

I'm still in Scotland at an Internet Cafe, so I can't take the time to read every post and respond like I would like, but I'll correct that when I get back.

For the most part I agree with what Confessor said, like it or not they did capture Turner's art style to a T, I just don't think that his style was right for this piece.

bat_collector
07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
confessor: D ick Grayson grew up in a carnival! yeah it supposed to look like that.

Jesse: Can't wait for you to respond more like yourself. hater. :laugh:

Confessor
07-17-2005, 04:14 PM
confessor: D ick Grayson grew up in a carnival! yeah it supposed to look like that.

Then why not "carnival boy" or "the trapeze kid"? And again, think of all that starch (for the collar)....so many CFC widening the hole in our ozone....how irresponsible! :laugh:

Nightcrawler777
07-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Jesse: Can't wait for you to respond more like yourself. hater. :laugh:

I just wish they would do a nice FS statue of Nightwing in his Current Costume...

That Med Statue Dc Direct did a few years ago just doesnt cut it...

bat_collector
07-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Then why not "carnival boy" or "the trapeze kid"? And again, think of all that starch (for the collar)....so many CFC widening the hole in our ozone....how irresponsible! :laugh:
Yeah, but he looks cool! :buttrock:

Such a small price for looking good.

Twoguns-Crowley
07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
I just saw this statue at my LCS. I like it and would consider purchasing it in the future but not at the price they were asking. Flash is a little more muscular than I would prefer but it doens't nix the whole thing for me.

Tao
07-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Got to agree that DC's "sliding" scale rule is really frustrating as a collector.

That is what an Art Director should be doing...help maintain consistency in a line. I think DC is taking the potato chips approach.

Same bag, fewer chips, same price.

Full sized statues like Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Green Lantern Series look giant next to the recent ones...and the price is the same.

I have gotten DC statues home, put them out with the rest of my collection, cringed at the scale difference, packed up said statue and sold on eBay within 24 hours. Scale matters to me as a collector. Otherwise it just looks like I have accumulated an assortment of items rather than built a collection.

Oh, yeah.. Nightwing's original costume was very bad. All it was missing was the leather chaps and studded codpeice.

nolilia
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
I wont buy this one. He looks sexy than manly to me. Doesnt strike me at all.

nolilia
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Full Size Green Arrow still the best FS on the DC line.

DFury
07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Just came in today...

I like this statue alot :)

great job by Bruckner and Tony :buttrock: :buttrock:

df

ickwinzs
07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Just came in today...

df

Glad to see it made it!!

DFury
07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
yeppers made it safe and sound :)

df

bat_collector
07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Gad you got it DF. I love mine!

giro
07-25-2005, 08:06 PM
just found one to go with my other justice league statues can't wait to get it , #648

Vader
07-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I like the gorilla alot. Not crazy about flash.

Confessor
07-25-2005, 11:37 PM
I like the gorilla alot. Not crazy about flash.

My thoughts, too. But is there anything about the Gorilla...not having seen it in person myself, that depicts that this is Grodd, and not some runaway ape from the local zoo?

bat_collector
07-25-2005, 11:56 PM
My thoughts, too. But is there anything about the Gorilla...not having seen it in person myself, that depicts that this is Grodd, and not some runaway ape from the local zoo?
This statue is the exact representation of a Michael Turner Flash/Grodd cover to the newest flash trade.

Bartman256
07-26-2005, 12:07 AM
This statue is the exact representation of a Michael Turner Flash/Grodd cover to the newest flash trade.

What's up with Wally West? Is he on the "juice"? Way to muscular!

What ever happened to the Wally I knew...burning up all kinds of fat from running and having to seriously chow down from time to time to replenish his lost weight!

lord odin
07-26-2005, 06:49 AM
What's up with Wally West? Is he on the "juice"? Way to muscular!

What ever happened to the Wally I knew...burning up all kinds of fat from running and having to seriously chow down from time to time to replenish his lost weight!
Wally looks like he`s on venom :laugh:

speedracer
07-26-2005, 08:11 PM
it's a tad bigger compared to some of my JLA stat collection because i know flash is one of the smaller characters in the league..but I'm very very proud to have this great piece none the less..=)

bat_collector
07-26-2005, 08:16 PM
as you can see, the statue is dead-on accurate of this piece. The sculptor's involved couldn't ahve done a better job than what they were asked to do.

I really like this statue.

Confessor
07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Okay, I got that this is dead on with the comic....no question. But in looking at the ape, can one not familiar with the comic tell that this is Grod and not a giant ape from the local zoo?

Sniper
07-26-2005, 09:53 PM
the sculpt is nice not puke worthy

giro
07-26-2005, 10:24 PM
bat collector good point flash is my fav dc hero should have mine by the end of the week

Pogo4321
07-26-2005, 10:48 PM
You know as much as I don't like turner's art; everytime I pass by this thing at my lcs I feel compelled to stop and look at it. It definitely has something--can a statue have charisma? It's growing on me.

valemeister
07-27-2005, 04:03 AM
Mine turned up on Monday. I love this statue a lot. *pats Grodd's head*

Neomotion
07-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Still hate Turner's art, but still think it is a great piece. Might give it some thought. Did buy Batman BW, made by.... TC!

Thanks man, i love this little statue. Price is right, the art is right. Scale is right, since it will be getting a seperate place to shine. And yes, that GL/Sinestro piece is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

And i still want the Superman/daily planet piece. So who says it is a wrong time to be a DC fan? Keep 'em coming please ! :buttrock:

Jesse321
07-30-2005, 06:10 PM
the sculpt is nice not puke worthyIt's just not Flash to me, and I happen to like Turner's art. I think his females (when sculpted right like Grace and Fathom) translate really well to statues, but the male counter parts just don't.

Sniper
11-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Just came in today...

df
damn now I want this one :banghead:

Collection King 13
11-14-2005, 07:43 PM
It looks really good! I had to get one! :buttrock: