PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Black & White?

WolverineX77
12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I was just thinking about how amazing the Batman: Black & White mini-statue line is and was wondering if they'd gave Superman the same treatment. Or maybe Red-White-& Blue tones. Sound silly? Good idea? Maybe DC can launch a title first. Just some thought. :peoples:

ant-man
12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
i like this idea...think it could be real cool...either way Blue & Red or B&W.....would buy them...

cblakey1
12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I was just thinking about how amazing the Batman: Black & White mini-statue line is and was wondering if they'd gave Superman the same treatment. Or maybe Red-White-& Blue tones. Sound silly? Good idea? Maybe DC can launch a title first. Just some thought. :peoples:

'Specially because of the scale and style. They'd look cool together.

Collection King 13
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
It would probably be cool but I may not get any of those...

WolverineX77
12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Just think about it: Joe Shuster, Curt Swan, Gil Kane, Neal Adams, Jerry Ordway, George Perez, and Alex Ross, if he's not overrated as it is! The list is endless, as is Batman's.

kirthew
12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I think a Superman Black and White would be awsome... but I think they are trying this already with Superman Famous Covers Mini Statue line... In all honesty... DC Direct need to not market a Batman or Superman statue for at least 6 months... they have this wonderful universe... I would love a Green Lantern Black and White... or a Flash Black and White... or Martian Manhunter... Blue Beetle, Wonder Woman, Catwoman.. well you get my drift here...

Captain Late
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
I agree with Kirthew, DC has really dropped the ball by ignoring their "lesser" characters in their catalogue. If they had a regular bust line, not a "themed" line which they could bail on, and just put out a nice mix a la Bowen they would sell much better. BDs success can be traced to their use of characters. Let's face it everyone can get Bats and Supes stuff but Booster Gold or Mr. Miracle or Wildcat or anyone like that is going to be darn cool and some 30+ collector is going to go crazy for it...
Oh yeah, the Batman B & W line is from the Batman B & W comics... I don't think Superman would necessarily be appropriate... Although B & W really highlights the sculpts doesn't it?

bat_collector
12-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I think a Superman Black and White would be awsome... but I think they are trying this already with Superman Famous Covers Mini Statue line... In all honesty... DC Direct need to not market a Batman or Superman statue for at least 6 months... they have this wonderful universe... I would love a Green Lantern Black and White... or a Flash Black and White... or Martian Manhunter... Blue Beetle, Wonder Woman, Catwoman.. well you get my drift here...
I agree 100 percent

Ish
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
i'm down fo r sups b&w it has potential but make then bigger.

kirthew
12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Wow... two people agree completely with me... Hey DC Direct.. you need a new head of marketing/statue creation.... I am available... I will send my resume right over...

bane
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Great idea but the Batman B&W statues are based on the HC book , In my knowledge Superman doen't have a B&W book , that's why DC does the famous covers to line up with the Batman line.

ftrez
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Besides the B&W mini-series, Batman just works in black & white. IMO, Superman doesn't. Batman's world is dark & sinister which makes the B&W appropriate, whereas Superman is about ultimate potential, mom & apple pie and all that stuff. His worldview is bright and colorful and his statues should reflect that. Just my 2 cents.

wktf
12-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Great idea but the Batman B&W statues are based on the HC book , In my knowledge Superman doen't have a B&W book , that's why DC does the famous covers to line up with the Batman line.
Well, the HC (and SC) volumes are compilations of the backup features from Detective Comics, that's where they originated. But, to your point, it starts with the comics stories and led to the statues that are based on Batman renditions from these stories.

No B&W Superman stories, to date. And, I agree with the other post that this style works for Batman and probably would not work for Superman.

superash
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
i think the idea sounds great!!! either way i would buy them.

Wayne Foundation
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Agree that B&W doesn't really suit Supes...but I sure like the Batman line.

I thought the Covers line was meant to be Supes' companion line to Bat's B&W (scale, etc). However, the first pieces have not impressed me...too many silver age versions with similar costumes.

J Storm
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Superman: Black & White sounds cool but I would like to see more Green Lantern statue...plus after seeing the Flash/Grod piece, they need to do more of the Flash like that.

WolverineX77
12-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I agree with the comments and thank all those who spoke their minds. I'd love to see a Green Lantern, Flash, WW, heck, even a Shazam! B&W mini-statues lines. But like I said in my opening post, DC needs to release them as titles first. And the B&W doesn't necessarily have to do with being dark & gloomy. Sure, it works best with Batman, but it doesn't have to mean that. Just B&W like the old days. Like the now-available DC Showcase TPBs. JMO.

Pogo4321
12-07-2005, 04:39 AM
I agree with the comments and thank all those who spoke their minds. I'd love to see a Green Lantern, Flash, WW, heck, even a Shazam! B&W mini-statues lines. But like I said in my opening post, DC needs to release them as titles first. And the B&W doesn't necessarily have to do with being dark & gloomy. Sure, it works best with Batman, but it doesn't have to mean that. Just B&W like the old days. Like the now-available DC Showcase TPBs. JMO.

"B&W like the old days"???

Batman works in B&W not because he is dark and gloomy, but because the black/blue & grey colors pof his costume translate well (he's practically colorless in color). What would you do with Superman? Red = Black, Blue=White? Or all grey tones? Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

WolverineX77
12-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Why can't Superman be in grey tones? Sure, he's a colorful character, but I think grey tones would give him an interesting look. I value your opinion. But I really do think that a line like this would be cool. I mean, it's SUPERMAN, for cryin' out loud. His stuff SELLS, no matter what.

daveyyojimbo
12-08-2005, 02:35 AM
cool idea. too bad your not one of the head honchos at dc direct :buttrock:

WolverineX77
12-08-2005, 02:56 AM
cool idea. too bad your not one of the head honchos at dc direct :buttrock:
Yeah. Too bad. Someone oughtta right the wrongs over there. :banghead:

boondocksaint
12-08-2005, 02:58 AM
im down

High Lord Apocalypse
12-16-2005, 02:22 AM