PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Torch questions

EvilNinjaChris
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
does anyone know if its ok to use an alcohol torch on super sculpey? and I've read that you need to use ethyl ethanol alcohol and not methyl ethanol...what is the difference? and is it readily available at like a pharmacy/store? and finally, I usually use lighter fluid as a solvent...is it ok to still use as long as I wait for it to evaporate? or should I just completely change to rubbing alcohol/turpenoid...i figured it wouldn't make too much of a difference because they are all flammable

thanks in advance,
cheers,
-C ^_^

eydylhands
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
you will not have the controll to bake sculpey properly with an alcohol torch.

FOr small quick jobs it would be ok but it is difficult to get it just right without scorching fine detail or not baking something enough.

EvilNinjaChris
02-28-2006, 02:38 AM
do you mean for final baking? just to clarify, because, I was talking about using it for blending not the final bake...it sounded like you were talking about baking/finishing with it.

Mr. Farrell
03-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I'd be worried about scorching SS with an alchohol torch; admittedly, I've hardly used one, though. For SS I use a heatgun, similar to a hairdryer but it gets a lot hotter. You need to move quick, but it's good for setting small spots on a sculpture without baking.

uno
03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative to a heatgun?

Ceramicus
03-03-2006, 05:05 PM
You can "blend" Plasticene or Wax with an alchohol torch, but not SS. If you want to blend an area in SS, just use a brush and the alchohol (minus the torch!) or your lighter fluid, etc...

With an alchohol torch (little plastic bottle with a nozzle and wick at the top -- about $7 from a Dental Supply store) you use Denatured Alchohol. Available at most hardware stores, including Home Depot in the US. Overseas, ???? I'd ask the hardware store guys if they carry it.