PDA

View Full Version : Is DC crazy or what?

Neomotion
03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
$ 345,- each for all the Weta sculpts? Are you kidding me? Someone over there must really be retarded. :mad:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?cat=JUST+ANNOUNCED

risingstar
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow... That's really expensive.
I mean, the sculps look ok but not amazing, certainly not worth the $345... but that's just the opinion of you and I (so far).

I guess the market will ultimately decide.

nolilia
03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
I am not surprised. They are selling "Full Size" for $195.

bane
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not that big of a fan of movie statues , but most of the statues in the line are including more then 1 figure , but still the price is a bit steep .

I wish they would've involved Weta withy the Batman Begins merchandise , those statues are a bit poor IMO .

speedracer
03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
They are nice stats but quite overpriced..if you are to compare it to the capt marvel piece at $300 the weta pieces look 10 times better..=)

candyrocket786
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Either that "exclusive" DVD is really expensive to produce or this ****ing company has truly lost it :laugh:

unbelievable!!!!

Primal
03-13-2006, 08:29 PM
They're crazy.

MiamiLoco
03-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Dude, u aren't seeing the big picture:

Each sculpture includes an exclusive collectors DVD documenting how Bryan Singer and Weta's artists conceptualised the collectibles and brought them to life from illustration to a final piece. Footage not available elsewhere includes: Bryan Singer on-set and interviews with Richard Taylor and Bryan Singer.

A FREE DVD!!! That alone is worth $345 :p

perfusin
03-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Even if they were $99 I wouldn't buy any of the Superman movie statues I have seen. They look CHEESY and Superman looks like Superboy. And who really cares if Bryan Singer was involved? They all look like C R A P! IMHO.

bat_collector
03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Man, the only statue I like is the flying superman and lois. Hmm, have ot see that up close to decide if its worth it.

Dizneeguy
03-13-2006, 09:17 PM
More sub-par garbage from DC surrounding the 'Superboy' movie. Just because WETA has attached their name to these doesn't make them great. WETA is great on their sculpts, but hit and miss on their paint jobs, IMO. Anything not human looks pretty good from the factory, but anything human is poor to awful. Look at the Kong pieces...the painting on Ann Darrow looks like something you'd find at Hallmark on a clearance rack. Again, WETA's sculpting team is great but it's gonna fall way short in the shadow of the LOTR line, etc. On the bright side, it's factory paint jobs that help keep me and my crew busy. Maybe WETA should just offer their 'good' movie characters in kit form as an option.

blackjack
03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
That's good that DC is putting out this crap.....1. I don't have to buy it and 2. I hope nobody will buy it and they will lose money....

I think their Art Director should get fire!!!

Daredevil
03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
they are charging sideshow prices

Iacon13
03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I really like DC product (even if size is not consistent) but this time I think they are really out to lunch. They are counting on the Superman collectors and the fan base of the film to carry this product. I am sure they will also make cash off the novice collector who thinks these will be investment pieces. You think they would know better by now.

Superhero
03-13-2006, 10:48 PM
You guys are missing the boat on these....no one is going to pay that for them so that means they will be available for 30% of that price on e-Bay shortly after they are released.

Grievous
03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Umm... Do you guys seriously pay retail for anything anymore (besides exclusives)???

Wayne Foundation
03-13-2006, 10:54 PM
DC is nuts. I don't know whos pulling the trigger on these things over there - but I sure as hell don't get it.

As another forum member noted...at least I don't have to buy these. I'll put this money toward quality Marvel pieces.

I get DC pieces at 35% off anyway...and thats still way too much for this stuff.

superash
03-13-2006, 11:10 PM
the only thing they have going for them that might consitute them for being this price is, is that they are all 20inches high. that is about it. i am a huge superman fan, and was really looking forward to getting some of these peices, but for that price i am going to have to pass, and hope for ebay.

Virsago
03-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Boooooooo!! :thumbsdow
I'm not buying any then.

Gannon
03-14-2006, 04:58 AM
I do like the effect they pulled off for the one that he is holding up the lava pot. that is sweet!

Iacon13
03-14-2006, 05:29 AM
You guys are missing the boat on these....no one is going to pay that for them so that means they will be available for 30% of that price on e-Bay shortly after they are released.

Even at the 30% off ebay/preorder price they still don't seem worth it.

Neomotion
03-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Might get the Planet statue.....for under $100,-

Someone had to be smoking something when they decided this.

risingstar
03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Superman looks way too lean and lanky.
The body shape is off.

money3
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
overpriced for sure

Nightwinger
03-15-2006, 12:07 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!! :buttrock:

The folks at DCD ARE in fact insane.

Well,scince Bryan S. has such a great speaking presence on the X-dvd's. This
is a sure fire HIT !!!!!! I mean,......with the coherent non-stammering presentation on those, why would someone NOT buy these...??????

Other then to.......POOOOOOOOP,on!!! :laugh:

Vader
03-15-2006, 01:30 AM
They are large pieces. They should have been priced at $250 each.

The Batman Professor
03-15-2006, 02:15 AM
We all have Sideshow to blame for this, as now DC has completely gone off the rails with regard to pricing. I pray these turn out to be a big flop and DC goes back to their usual inflated price. I'm hoping the movie will be good, but so far every photo I've seen doesn't bode well. "Man-Boy of Steel" really sums it up.

Tyrannosauron
03-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Fireside has these up for $255 each. Considering that they're each of them as large as SS/W's Sauron, that seems more reasonable. Well out of my price range, but reasonable.
Also, I've been looking at the pictures, and I was wondering if anyone else thinks "Disaster Averted" (the one with Supes stopping a plane's nose from crashing into a baseball field) looks far, far too fragile to be practical. Both Superman and the nose of the plane seem to be supported entirely by the two plumes of smoke reaching down to the ground, but unless they've got metal rods running through, I don't see how those plumes can be sturdy enough to support all that weight.

moon_knight1971
03-15-2006, 03:19 AM
INSANE! I'll see these on ebay for $99.99 not too long from now... :peoples:

The Batfan
03-18-2006, 02:42 AM
DC is nuts. I don't know whos pulling the trigger on these things over there - but I sure as hell don't get it.

As another forum member noted...at least I don't have to buy these. I'll put this money toward quality Marvel pieces.

I get DC pieces at 35% off anyway...and thats still way too much for this stuff.

WHAT WHAT!!! WAYNE FOUNDATION IS BUYIN MARVEL STUFF Bruce is gonna be pissed :laugh:

wellwisher
03-30-2006, 03:22 AM
$ 345,- each for all the Weta sculpts? Are you kidding me? Someone over there must really be retarded. :mad:

Yep, but that price includes the Pee Wee Herman anatomy. Isn't that worth $300+?? :laugh:

hawkeyethearcher
03-30-2006, 05:11 AM
i never followed to much elseworlds from dc and since that is obviously what this movie is with the most boring unatractive hideous goshgollyugarific superman costume i have ever seen i will be passing on this movie and the merchandise.

Primal
03-30-2006, 07:56 AM
I laugh every time I see that elongated lanky torso on the Man-Boy of Steel. Nice briefs. Looks like Bryan Singer is living out his wet dreams.

And that Superman with Lois statue! HA! They neglect to show you the moment immediate following that scene: Lois' bleeding arm, wrenched out of her socket, in Superman's hand, and Lois plummeting to her doom. :laugh: :laugh:

Now THAT would've been a statue! :buttrock:

tripoli
03-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I am a novice collector and looking at these prices, I will definately wait to see what they pull on eBay.
I think these tend to be high period. With the Disney Big Figures coming out at $ 125 to 175, those blow away most of the comic statues in size and value. I have to think that as more businesses get into this, including more foriegn manufacturers, that these prices are going to drop.
The markets are different, could be off in that view, just have to wait and see. Butthere is going to have to be something unique and of value to pull those high prices, I don't know if limiting a number edition would be enough.

cblakey1
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM

No way in hell I'd buy any of these (even though the flying one with Lois is pretty cool) and the price makes 'em even less attractive than they are to begin with.

money3
03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
extremely overpriced

ABDGUY
03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Cant wait to see what they start selling for on ebay...

CompEng1
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Those guys are on crack! That's ridiculous...man, those sculpts aren't even that nice.

Sniper
03-30-2006, 01:45 PM
INSANE! I'll see these on ebay for $99.99 not too long from now... :peoples:
indeed!!!!! :eplus2:

money3
03-30-2006, 04:26 PM
another thing is that movie sculpts never do as well

DBHughes
03-30-2006, 06:17 PM

Yep; I use MailOrderComics.com, and they've got the advance order price of these at $220.00 (36% discount). I decided to go for the Supes / Lois statue (listed as the Daily Planet statue at MailOrderComics). I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like that flying statue as pictured. However, the others are not very good in my opinion.

Ink
04-14-2006, 12:26 PM
I like the superman/lois statue as well, but I'm going to wait alittle bit longer

DSTEPHAN
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
another thing is that movie sculpts never do as well

Yea, there was no market at all for that Lord of the Rings thing... :p

speedracer
04-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Yea, there was no market at all for that Lord of the Rings thing... :p:laugh:

What was that other movie that didn't make money on stats and figures..I think it was Star Wars..

:laugh:

Maybe he means comic book movie merchandise..that makes sense in a way..=)