PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation vs Run Size for DCD

Captain Late
02-22-2007, 01:21 AM
This is just something that popped into my head recently. It's interesting that DCD keeps both run size and secondary market prices high, at least on their more popular lines. In contrast Bowen which is considered the best of the Marvel producers has had to restrict their run sizes all the way down to even 1500 for a regular edition and even then only the occasional piece really appreciates.
Obviously popularity is part of it, the two lines I'm mainly speaking of are Women of DCU and Batman BW (which are very popular) and Bowen probably does outpace both those lines combined with just MB releases but you never really see either of those DC lines even slightly below retail. I think the main reason has to be the fact that Marvel gives a license to pretty much everyone (I'm just waiting to hear that DC Direct is producing a line of Marvel statues :laugh: ) while DC keeps their product completely in house. They must be tougher on retailers as well, I don't think Drod can offer any discount or free shipping on them..
Any other thoughts on this? I just found it odd that even a low run Bowen MB can often be had for fairly cheap but bargains are very rare for the undersized Women of DCU busts despite the high runs. If BD went back to the Ph 1 runs of 5-6 thou people would go nuts but that seems to be the norm for DCD.

Iacon13
02-22-2007, 01:34 AM
I would like to respond to this. I think part of it is the glut of Marvel Product out there. With Diamond Select, Sideshow, Master Replicas, Attakus and of course Bowen all producion Marvel product and DC doing everything in house it makes finding really great piece such as Women of the DCU (despite their stature) and the Black and White Batman series that much more popular and therefore tougher to find despite higher runs. Collectors will jump on a Good DC line in order to get a Resin representation of a charcter they like faster since there is just not as much DC product out there. My 2 cents..any other thoughts??
Also the Black and White series was really outside of the box and looks awsome!!