PDA

View Full Version : getting started

RC212
06-17-2008, 02:06 AM
So I have been trying to go through some tutorials and I am at a little bit of a loss... I know that I need to start off with something simple, and I think that I have chosen a good piece, but I can't figure out how to actually get started.

I am notorious for wanting to get my cart before the horse, so I guess what I am asking is how in the world do I start in the hobby of sculpting?

cblakey1
06-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Get a board and drill holes in it to secure your armature.

Buy sculpting tools.

Buy heavy aluminum wire and create an armature, bulking up areas with aluminum foil (head, chest, etc..).

Buy a brick of Super Sculpey and start slapping it on the armature to create a basic "rough" form.

Once you have the basic form roughed out, take your sculpting tools and go for it!

Post pics!

hope this helps. ;)

Jesse321
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
When you buy sculpey, buy the smaller portions of white and black and mix in 1/4 of each color with 1 layer of the pink. It will make the sculpey easier to see while you're working with it.

RC212
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Get a board and drill holes in it to secure your armature.

Buy sculpting tools.

Buy heavy aluminum wire and create an armature, bulking up areas with aluminum foil (head, chest, etc..).

Buy a brick of Super Sculpey and start slapping it on the armature to create a basic "rough" form.

Once you have the basic form roughed out, take your sculpting tools and go for it!

Post pics!

hope this helps. ;)

This does help, how do I choose something that will be complicated enough that I feel accomplished when I finish, but easy enough that I don't get frustrated when I am not perfect the first time I try?

I will try to get an armature together tonight for something that I "think" will fit this idea of easy but not too easy... this is my idea (http://rantz.deviantart.com/art/Stoopid-Hulk-63787746)

loupegarou
06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
If you drew that ...you got skillz...

RC212
06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
If you drew that ...you got skillz...

No that wasn't me... that is why I linked to the DA site and not just to the image to give credit where it is due.... but I agree that is a great picture! :)