PDA

View Full Version : Extra supports for heavy sculptures?

Jun
06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey peepz,

I've been working in 1/8th scale so far and this time round it's my first 1/6th statue.

Problem is, the body got so heavy with Super Sculpey that it's bending the armature out of form.

I've seen how you guys stick extra pins to support to statue >>

- is there any proper way to do this?
- should the pins be stuck into clay, or onto the armature?
- if it's stuck onto the armature, how do I remove it after baking?

Any help would be gr8ly appreciated!

moore_000
06-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Look at Bowen's Angel statue. The support goes through the back and is attached to the armature. Once everything is finalized, you cut the wire from the back and trim it down to the body. You will need to do patch work around where the wire is cut from the back. I am using similar scheme for my Captain America conversion (check out the thread). The final statue should be over 10 lbs easily.

Jun
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Ah I see, what I mean is, how do I attach and easily remove stuff like that, yet make it sturdy enough to support the sculpture:

I stole this off PURO's post:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/710977/WOLVIE2008.jpg

maddmaestro
06-25-2008, 01:04 AM
are you talking about your ryu sculpt? if so i might suggest using a thicker armature wire to start...it would support more weight right off the bat. not sure about the rest though.

good luck,

Maddmaestro

nemesisenforcer
06-25-2008, 01:13 AM
nice work Jun:thumbs2:

Jun
06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
are you talking about your ryu sculpt? if so i might suggest using a thicker armature wire to start...it would support more weight right off the bat. not sure about the rest though.

good luck,

Maddmaestro

Indeed I am, yeap, I will buy thicker gauge wires for my next 1/6th sculpt. Thanks.

Jun
06-25-2008, 12:30 PM
nice work Jun:thumbs2:

Ah, the Wolverine is not my work, I only borrowed the picture from Puro's post to show what Im asking about.