PDA

View Full Version : Do glavanized wires contain lead?

Hella Nice
09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I was at a local Walmart today and I seen Galvanized wires for sale. Now, galvanized wires are good to use for armatures, especially the 14 gauge one.

Anyways, I bought one and I just noticed that this one said to contain lead. :sly2:

And I compared it to my regularly used hobby armature wire, there were no warnings on this one. It's the same type, "Galvanized"

My question is, can the one from Walmart be harmful?
I don't want any lead radiating while in the process of baking 'ya know. I don't want cancer!

Galvanized wires are what I use for armatures, made from aluminum or steel added with chemicals to soften the metal. (easy to bend and shape)

isculpt
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I think you might have bought soldering wire....

Hella Nice
09-23-2008, 03:04 AM
I think you might have bought soldering wire....

Nah, obviously it would have said "Soldering Wire" on the case if it were. It specifically said "Solid Galvanized Wire". I have one that says the same thing, but it's a hobby wire from OOK. Check it out, it's some good armature wires. But, I have one the same and it's a different brand, but it's marked with a warning that it contains lead.

isculpt
09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't know if its harmful, but I would just keep with the one not using lead lol.

teflondrunk
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I know if you weld galvanized metal the fumes are poisonous. I don't know if you would release any just baking in the oven though.

'Nuff
09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
There's too much concern over lead...As well as too many other things to mention...I'm 56 years old...When I was growing up...Toothpaste came in lead tubes...No one that I know of ever got cancer from them...Don't believe every Medical report ya read...Most of them are paid for by one Special Interest Group or the other...Jeez folks...Just live ya life and enjoy it...:buttrock:

ANGRYCOMICMAN
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
The galvanizing is a zinc coating.
It is used to retard rusting.
No lead.
It adhears to the steel by either elctro-plating (Zinc plating) or by hot-dip process which is immersing the steel in molten zinc (Zinc has a lower melting point than steel).
Teflondrunk is correct, the fumes from welding galvanized steel is toxic.
Some people are alergic to zinc, it will flake off from time to time or oxidize and turn whitish, like a powder.
They get a rash, like poison ivy.

High Lord Apocalypse
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
The galvanizing is a zinc coating.
It is used to retard rusting.
No lead.
It adhears to the steel by either elctro-plating (Zinc plating) or by hot-dip process which is immersing the steel in molten zinc (Zinc has a lower melting point than steel).
Teflondrunk is correct, the fumes from welding galvanized steel is toxic.
Some people are alergic to zinc, it will flake off from time to time or oxidize and turn whitish, like a powder.
They get a rash, like poison ivy.

mikey, how many people have you killed with galvainzed steel? :D

Hella Nice
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM

:laugh:

DanPerezStudios
09-26-2008, 03:45 AM
What they said--galvanized wire is steel wire with a non-corrosive zinc coating. No lead at all..

ANGRYCOMICMAN
09-26-2008, 09:12 AM

He fell into that pipe.

A few times.:rolleyes2

High Lord Apocalypse
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
He fell into that pipe.

A few times.:rolleyes2

:laugh:

DanPerezStudios
09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
"How did your father die?"

"He fell down an elevator shaft....onto some bullets."

"I've always suspected foul play on that one.."

"As have I..."

Darth Pain
09-28-2008, 06:42 AM
If you're worried about it just go to Lowes and get a few feet of the Alum. electtric cable. They have them on the big rack of wires. It cost me about $6 for 2 pcs of 2 ft wire. You just strip the plastic off and you have LOTS of Alum. armature wire and no worries of lead.