PDA

View Full Version : Repairing the claws on Wolverine VS Sabretooth dio

Jameshowlett
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey guys, so my daughter was playing WII(not a good idea next to statues-LOL) and of course the WII controller came out of her hand and flew right at my Wolverine display.Broke off the top of BDs Wolverine MB mask, and broke of (quite cleanly) 2 of Sabretooths nails.
My question is, how do I glue them back on and defy gravity at the same time?Does anyone know of an epoxy that will actually hold the nail to the finger while it dries?I thought of using Tacky as its pretty thick, but figured I'd ask the pros before i messed with it.

beachfox
11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
any pics for reference?

Jameshowlett
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah I'll post some pix on Monday, but basically its like gluing on a nail upside down.I could use crazy glue but my hand isn't steady enough to hold it until it glues.

Jameshowlett
11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Pics are coming. I wonder if I should use T1000? anyone ever hear of that?
How do you glue something on upside down guys? Cmon someone has to know this answer.

moore_000
11-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, so my daughter was playing WII(not a good idea next to statues-LOL) and of course the WII controller came out of her hand and flew right at my Wolverine display.Broke off the top of BDs Wolverine MB mask, and broke of (quite cleanly) 2 of Sabretooths nails.
My question is, how do I glue them back on and defy gravity at the same time?Does anyone know of an epoxy that will actually hold the nail to the finger while it dries?I thought of using Tacky as its pretty thick, but figured I'd ask the pros before i messed with it.

The 2 part epoxy will work just fine, but you might need to hold that nail for the whole time while the expoxy glue set. That is, if the set time is 10 minutes on the package, you might have to hold it in place for 10 minutes. For extra security, apply a second thin even coat overlapping the break area. Remember to wipe off any excess glue the first time, so have a lint free cloth ready. To get rid of the shine afterward, apply some Dullcoat over it (courtesy of Dano).

ComputerFly
11-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Why would anyone ever use a 2 part epoxy on something so small? Epoxy is too think for such a delicate piece. Just use super glue, any kind. I make a small puddle on a scrap piece of paper, then use a toothpick of the tip of a paper clip to put just enough on the broken piece (none on the other side). That way, you don't have as much leakage when you push the two pieces together. I use Loctite Control Extra Time...gives you about 5 more seconds than normal super glues, to get the two pieces perfect. When you're done there take a small nail file or something to take the excess glue off around the nail, then mix some flat black with some brown, and repaint the nails. Good as new.

Also, if you're not that steady, your hardware store sell these miniature squeeze clamps (think clothes pin). You could set the piece on, then clip it together.

fenix v.2.0
11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
JH, get some crazyglue and pick up some zip kicker. with a pin, place a drop of the kick the one side and then a pin drop of crazy glue on the other. instant bond.

otherwise you can to the 2 part epoxie, but you'll have to hold it in place for a bit. i think i have some 60 second epoxie. let me know.

moore_000
11-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Why would anyone ever use a 2 part epoxy on something so small? Epoxy is too think for such a delicate piece. Just use super glue, any kind. I make a small puddle on a scrap piece of paper, then use a toothpick of the tip of a paper clip to put just enough on the broken piece (none on the other side). That way, you don't have as much leakage when you push the two pieces together. I use Loctite Control Extra Time...gives you about 5 more seconds than normal super glues, to get the two pieces perfect. When you're done there take a small nail file or something to take the excess glue off around the nail, then mix some flat black with some brown, and repaint the nails. Good as new.

Also, if you're not that steady, your hardware store sell these miniature squeeze clamps (think clothes pin). You could set the piece on, then clip it together.

I have used the clear 2 part epoxy on small fix before, it works and it is very "error" tolerant. Meaning that if you drop some on the wrong areas, just wipe it off quick with a lint free clothe and it is gone. With Crazy glue, you make the same mistake and you are F@*Ked because it does not dry clear; unless they have come out with one that dries clear. Also if it is a clean break, you might not need to repaint it at all after it is glued together, and no sanding at all.

Jameshowlett
11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey you guys are great! Thanks Luis and Moore and Computer fly!
I think I'll look for those clamps as that will help.Or if I use super glue I only have to hold it in place for like 30 seconds? I should be able to do that.
Thanks again guys.

protector2814
11-22-2008, 10:28 AM
What I did when my, then toddler, son snapped the claws off my BD Logan was - I secured the claws in place w/ playdough as soon as I crazy glued it on. Waited 10 minutes, removed the still soft playdough from Logan's fist and repeated on down the knuckles daily. Giving each claw a day to really set. It worked great.