PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Super Sculpy Firm and Tools.

Black-Tooth
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Greetings, I've got a series of questions that I'd appreciate any help with, if possible, as my searches didn't return any results.

I normally sculpt with epoxy resin (Greenstuff) with results I'm quite happy with but I'm struggling with faces due to the quick drying time. This and the fact that I want to increase the size of my sculpts I thought I'd try my hand at something that doesn't have a drying time.

First off, I suppose I should ask if onyone knows where I can get hold of some Super Sculpy Firm in the UK. I've been searching for a few weeks but can't find it anywhere.

Once baked, is it firm like Greenstuff? Is it easy to cut away parts after if its been baked if you discover an error?

Can you acheive the same smoothness as Super Sculpy Firm as you can with Greenstuff?

Also, the main tool I use is getting a bit old. It's got a large arrow head at one end, and a smaller curved arrow head at the other. I managed to find some more but they're much more beefy than what I'm using and don't have the sleekness I require - and besides that they've been made in a factory and aren't the smoothest of things. So, can anyone recommend any places I can get some nice tools in the UK too?

Got to say, thanks in advance! No doubt I'll have more questions at some point. :rolleyes2

Alphaduce
12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
first of all why cant you use super sculpey?
is it because some people say its too soft? lol
check this out, if you roll the super sculpey in flat sheets, (1/16" thick x 4 " squares) and place them on a couple sheets of paper backed by a piece of cardboard you can wick some of the oils in the polymer clay away and make it firmer.
i wouldnt do it no more than 2 times, because the clay needs SOME of the oils in it to cure properly when baked.

here is a good place you can order it -
http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/17/

and at $7.48 per lb. i dont see where you can go wrong.

riteguytu
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Greetings, I've got a series of questions that I'd appreciate any help with, if possible, as my searches didn't return any results.

I normally sculpt with epoxy resin (Greenstuff) with results I'm quite happy with but I'm struggling with faces due to the quick drying time. This and the fact that I want to increase the size of my sculpts I thought I'd try my hand at something that doesn't have a drying time.

First off, I suppose I should ask if onyone knows where I can get hold of some Super Sculpy Firm in the UK. I've been searching for a few weeks but can't find it anywhere.

Try this: http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acatalog/Super_Sculpey.html
(Scroll down)

Once baked, is it firm like Greenstuff? Is it easy to cut away parts after if its been baked if you discover an error?

In my experience, once baked, its as hard as stone! It can be cut, though, with a very sharp xacto knife/blade(just like a piece of plastic)

Can you acheive the same smoothness as Super Sculpy Firm as you can with Greenstuff?

It's not as versatile, to my limited knowledge. I believe it is usually for mending miniatures...
Also, the main tool I use is getting a bit old. It's got a large arrow head at one end, and a smaller curved arrow head at the other. I managed to find some more but they're much more beefy than what I'm using and don't have the sleekness I require - and besides that they've been made in a factory and aren't the smoothest of things. So, can anyone recommend any places I can get some nice tools in the UK too?

Try this:http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subcategory_list.asp?Content=Modelling+Tools&Category=8

You could also try ebay.co/uk for DENTAL TOOLS

Here's another useful link:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&page=1&pp=60

Have fun!;)

Black-Tooth
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
first of all why cant you use super sculpey?

I could use Super Sculpey instead, but I was informed Super Sculpy Firm was closer to Greenstuff. Still, I'll try SS I think I'll be able to get hold of it easier anyway.

It's not as versatile, to my limited knowledge. I believe it is usually for mending miniatures...

Oh...Would Super Sculpey acheive smoother results more in line with Greenstuff than the Firm, do you think?

Thanks for the help so far, guys! And the links, too!

Alphaduce
12-03-2008, 05:10 PM
isnt information a large role in why people come to this site?
the way i see it is, if i have information that is valuable to others then i should share it. because if i wanted to know somethin, then i would want for someone that has the knowledge to share it with me.

so my ideal is, if everyone does unto others as you would have them do unto you, then I believe that the world would be a better place.

so if you want to thank me,
pass it on.